Poll: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Should I?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So, I have a very low tolerance for the more insane anime tropes, but at the same time I do find things that are intentionally bizarre for the sake of comedy usually amusing. But again...anime...

So, I'm debating trying to sit through Jojo's, but I'm not sure I can stomach it if it's as cliche in the "typical anime tropes" department. I watched like half of the first episode, and it was....difficult to say the least. Does it stay that way or does it get better/less shit?

I've seen clips from later episodes and they've seemed amusing in and of themselves, but I'm not sure I can stand all the stuff in between. Should I check it out? Given my issue with anime?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
It seems like a pretty normal shonen. The art and character designs are funny, but it definitely follows a monster of the week formula. It isn't a comedy, per se. There aren't jokes. It just has bizarre art and characters. Maybe it gets better later, but I lost interest after a few episodes.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I've seen an episode or two and some clips while passing by some other people who did watch several seasons of it. It looked very meh. Not as stupid as some of the things I've seen in anime (or more accurately, not all the time) but you won't be missing out on anything important if you skip it. It certainly looked very unambitious and lacking in any sort of dept, and I seem to remember a line that said unironically 'how can a woman be so strong?'

If you didn't like the first episode. Don't bother. By all accounts I've seen and heard it'll mostly get worse.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
If you didn't like the first episode you probably won't like the rest of the series (considering the first episode is one of the best). It's hilarious, but if it's not your cup of tea then that's that. No real serious anime tropes, just a lot of weirdness.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I recommend it however I am not familair with the tropes that shows contain other than one or two tropes.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Fappy said:
If you didn't like the first episode you probably won't like the rest of the series (considering the first episode is one of the best). It's hilarious, but if it's not your cup of tea then that's that. No real serious anime tropes, just a lot of weirdness.
Oh, then I discard remaining regrets. I can see that this isn't for me...

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
If you enjoy anime whose genre is 'shonen battle', you owe it to yourself to watch / read JoJo. You should try watching through parts 1 and 2, if you're up for it. The great thing about JoJo is that it changes a lot, 9 episodes in the plot advances 50 years and the main character becomes Jonathan's grandson! I also think the first episode is probably the worst one of parts 1 & 2, but it gets all the necessary setup out of the way.

Happyninja42 said:
I do find things that are intentionally bizarre for the sake of comedy usually amusing.
At the very least, you'll love part 2. Joseph Joestar is the wackiest, most likable leading man from pretty much all of anime (The only person who comes close for me is Hazama Masayoshi from Samurai Flamenco).

Pseudonym said:
It certainly looked very unambitious
A manga that's been running for 25 years, takes place over ~200 years, and has totally changed plots 7 times is 'unambitious'?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Benpasko said:
If you enjoy anime whose genre is 'shonen battle', you owe it to yourself to watch / read JoJo.
I'm not a fan of shonen battle anime actually. The "fighting because we couldn't be arsed to come up with a plot" kind of writing like DBZ, Naruto and Bleach are not my thing...like at all.

Benpasko said:
You should try watching through parts 1 and 2, if you're up for it. The great thing about JoJo is that it changes a lot, 9 episodes in the plot advances 50 years and the main character becomes Jonathan's grandson! I also think the first episode is probably the worst one of parts 1 & 2, but it gets all the necessary setup out of the way.
Interesting, a change up of cast might fix my problems. I dunno. It's odd, I sometimes get into a mood where I revel in the Cranked Up To Eleven kind of insanity of things, but then it's tempered by my dislike of most of the anime story elements they tend to use in all of them. Part of my brain is like "watch it! it's going to be so insane it will be glorious!" the other part is "it's " as you put it "a shonen jump thing, and it's got stupid characters". So that's why I'm torn. xD

Benpasko said:
Happyninja42 said:
I do find things that are intentionally bizarre for the sake of comedy usually amusing.
At the very least, you'll love part 2. Joseph Joestar is the wackiest, most likable leading man from pretty much all of anime (The only person who comes close for me is Hazama Masayoshi from Samurai Flamenco).
I might check it out then. I mean, I saw the clip that inspired the Friendship is Manly video, with the song in it (which is a fucking badass song by the way), and I was like "....ok, that....might be amusing to watch" It's just my dread of having to sit through 15 hours of "Sempai! Kawaii! " *cartoonish image of person with gushing blood nose because he saw a boob, or guy being assaulted by a woman because she over reacted to something while yelling* bullshit to see a 1 minute bit of awesome.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Happyninja42 said:
It's just my dread of having to sit through 15 hours of "Sempai! Kawaii! " *cartoonish image of person with gushing blood nose because he saw a boob, or guy being assaulted by a woman because she over reacted to something while yelling* bullshit to see a 1 minute bit of awesome.
If that's the kind of thing you're worried about you'll be happy to know JoJo doesn't have any of it. It's has it's own flavor of anime weirdness that doesn't really match any established tropes.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Fappy said:
Happyninja42 said:
It's just my dread of having to sit through 15 hours of "Sempai! Kawaii! " *cartoonish image of person with gushing blood nose because he saw a boob, or guy being assaulted by a woman because she over reacted to something while yelling* bullshit to see a 1 minute bit of awesome.
If that's the kind of thing you're worried about you'll be happy to know JoJo doesn't have any of it. It's has it's own flavor of anime weirdness that doesn't really match any established tropes.
Ok, I might be able to tolerate new flavors of weirdness. though some have said it's pretty much like episode 1 all the way through, so we'll see. :) I guess me and the wifey will try and sit through it. She'll love it no matter what, because she just loves anime, even bad ones. Me, well, I would normally watch them and give them a good MST 3K riffing to amuse myself. But she has expressly forbidden me from doing so when we watch things together. So...yeah, might have to develop a drinking habit to cope. xD

MythicMatt

Phantom of the forum
Feb 4, 2015
Yes.
British gentleman fights his adopted brother-turned-vampire.
His grandson, a British-American trickster fights the vampires responsible for the stone masks.
His grandson, a japanese delinquent teams up with a variety of people to fight the antagonist of part 1 again, in Egypt.
His younger uncle goes about daily life, eventually fighting a serial killer at the behest of a ghost girl.

...Those are all the bits adapted [or being adapted] so far. That's everything I can give you without spoiling too much. But, for how bad it sounds, it's all sorts of fun to watch. Especially the last two episodes of part 2.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
MythicMatt said:
Yes.
British gentleman fights his adopted brother-turned-vampire.
His grandson, a British-American trickster fights the vampires responsible for the stone masks.
His grandson, a japanese delinquent teams up with a variety of people to fight the antagonist of part 1 again, in Egypt.
His younger uncle goes about daily life, eventually fighting a serial killer at the behest of a ghost girl.

...Those are all the bits adapted [or being adapted] so far. That's everything I can give you without spoiling too much. But, for how bad it sounds, it's all sorts of fun to watch. Especially the last two episodes of part 2.
The finale of the final battle in Part 2 is amazing. Even better than Part 3's, imo. It's just so insane and the use of the OP in its final moments make it perfection. I was crying laughing for the last three or so minutes of the fight.

MythicMatt

Phantom of the forum
Feb 4, 2015
But then, JoJo is the only show that'll ever make you feel happy that Nazis show up. [Insert lame pun here]

Jun 11, 2008
Well if your only hang up about Jojo is anime tropes then you don't really have much to worry about. I'd say the 3rd part is closer to monster of the week than the rest and the 1st part you can probably consider the most generic. Overall though Jojo does do its own thing.

merc-with-a-mouth

Dec 4, 2009
You owe yourself to watch it. Jojo has its strangeness, but it's played very straight and very wacky, which sounds rather odd. It is shonen, but without any of the tropes like sudden power ups or fan service characters. Battles in Jojo often revolve around outsmarting and outmanuvering the enemy and using powers and abilities in creative ways
Definitely worth looking at the first 3 episodes, but if it doesn't have you by then it safe to assume that is isn't for you.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
Yes, it is a must watch.
The first part, Phantom Blood, is a bit generic. But it has its own charm. The second part is where the wacky humor really follows through and we get our first taste of what will later be Joseph's Engrish. Which by its own right its glorious. And then there's Dio Brando. I promise you, you will not love any other anime villain more than Dio. Praise Lord Dio. He is what we all should aspire to be, okay not at all but he is still glorious.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ok, to clarify one thing, I'm all for bizarre, but to give another example, FLCL. I hated that show, the amount of it I could stand. It was so out there, which by itself isn't a problem, but the way it was executed just grated on my nerves.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Well Douglas I remember reading a bunch of the manga back in the late aughts, way before this day and age when these whipper-snappers decided to make it popular for some reason. Personally, I was intrigued but I lost my interest after about...I dunno, issue 15 or so? I strongly prefer Fist of the North Star. Kenshiro is mostly unkillable but I still really like the fights in that series a lot more. I recall there being more emphasis on baddies-of-the-week in the anime and overarching enemies in the manga. Then there's the manly tears and whatnot...I just strongly prefer Fist of the North Star.