Poll: Just How Many People Think Their Game Ideas Would Make In The Video Game Market?

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
I was just sitting around and looked out my window when a strange idea popped into my head. It was about a game that had what I thought would be and alright plot point complete with a good twist and alright combat and so on and so forth.

I grabbed a red notebook and started writing and plotting everything I had so far and have been doing so for a week now. Then I wondered if the things I wrote down were ever made into a game would it make it. I also got curious as to who else has done or thought the same.

So I ask, Have you ever come up with (what you call) a good video game idea and if so do you think it could make it?

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
I certainly hope so I've got them all saved under "begginnings" "middles" or "ends" at the moment though, don't really have any full on ideas.

Son of Makuta

Nov 4, 2008
Yeah, I think a couple of my 'big' game ideas (as opposed to 'small' ones I plan on writing myself) would - if done right - do well. I'm not sure of the technical feasibility of some of them though.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
I have a few ideas I know are better than some current games. Hell, I can think of several different scenarios that the creators of Medal of Honor would find difficult to screw up.

However, I personally couldn't make it, as I don't understand coding language, and don't have a studio of my own to use to make it.

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
I've thought about it. But thinking is the easy part, making the game is the hard part.

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
My ideas are all crap. I'll freestyle right now for you guys.

Alright. You're a boy who has magic powers, but you can only use them at night. During the day, you have to use sticks of celery as your weapon. What's the catch? Day monsters are extremely weak against magic, and night monsters are allergic to celery! Imagine the disappointment of said boy who has a hard time fighting monsters. He must go on a quest to save hot chick, destroy evil guy, and figure out how to use his magic during the day and his celery at night!

Coming 2010

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
My single video game idea is rather popular amongst the people that I have told, although it's not completely ironed out or 100% thought through

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
My ideas would be a little hard to implement.
But then dual world game play has been done super extra a lot.
Don't know many people who would want a Shenmue meets Grandia 2 kinda game.

I'd be more worried about ripping something off than making a bad game though.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Say Anything said:

Alright. You're a boy who has magic powers, but you can only use them at night. During the day, you have to use sticks of celery as your weapon. What's the catch? Day monsters are extremely weak against magic, and night monsters are allergic to celery! Imagine the disappointment of said boy who has a hard time fighting monsters. He must go on a quest to save hot chick, destroy evil guy, and figure out how to use his magic during the day and his celery at night!

Coming 2010
Best idea so far
Anyone got any better ideas?

Nexus424

Dec 26, 2008
Say Anything said:

Coming 2010
Ha ha that's Flash quality right there. I'd play that

Nexus424

Dec 26, 2008
The Lawn said:
My ideas would be a little hard to implement.
But then dual world game play has been done super extra a lot.
Don't know many people who would want a Shenmue meets Grandia 2 kinda game.

I'd be more worried about ripping something off than making a bad game though.
Yeah but you gotta remember the video game developer motto (or mine at least). Everything has been done so far so you just gotta do it just as good or better

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
This isn't an issue for me. I don't need a publisher to fund it, or a developer to assist me in its production. I am doing it myself, with all my own development tools. The only snag is the time it has taken to research, design and implement this "middleware". That said, when I eventually finish I plan to make the whole thing Open Source (i.e. free download), so the marketing issue doesn't really arise. I am, after all, primarily doing it all for myself. Therefore, I don't think of myself as being in competition with anyone, or requiring an audience. Sure, I would be intrigued to discover what some people think about the final result, but I'm not doing it for them, I'm doing it for me.

Being self-taught, self-funded and doing it in my own time you shouldn't expect anything soon.

Silver

Jun 17, 2008
The thing about this is that ideas are always much better than the results.

I could have an idea about a deep, almost infinite world, combining fps, rts, rpg and simulation aspects creating a world that's better than our own where everything is possible.

Even if I succeed in making that when someone else plays it, they're going to get stuck, right in the beginning, because everything is just too complicated, and my perfect world doesn't correlate with theirs.

I could make an awesome story revealed over 4 games, deeper and more involving than the plots of "at the mountain of madness", but have people hate it, because the mood changes so much.

When coming up with an idea for a game it's important to always keep a level head, and to know when to stop, to know your limits. Sure, it's great fun dreaming about making an amazing trilogy (I know I have), but you often lose sight of where you really are, what you can do. And when you just dig deeper and deeper you get the players lost, and when you finally get to make the game you don't remember where to start, or how. You want to cram everything you have into the same game, and since your space is limited you end up just briefly touching every subject, resulting in a very unsatisfying, yet daunting experience for the player. Keep it simple, and try to look at it from a strangers eyes, someone who doesn't know everything about it already.

That said, I think that several of my ideas can, and will, make it in the gaming industry. Hopefully my trilogy will be among them.

MintyFreshBreathGuy

Oct 10, 2008
I've thought about it, but fact is that if you send in an idea there's little to no chance of you getting either any credit for it, or it just won't be accepted. So I've thought about it, but I'll wait until I get some sort of influence or friend that can make it happen.

Speccr

Jan 5, 2009
Well, there are plenty games to make. Many game developers fail to see the point of a fun game, I'm not saying all games do there are some really good ones but some are meh and I could think of a better one in about 2 minutes.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Nah, I like outdated concepts like Semi-Linear Storylines, Non-Customizable Characters and Turn Based Combat.

Though there might be a market for my 3-6 Hour Action Game idea (A short action game with multiple characters, branching storylines and tons of replayability)