Poll: Katawa Shoujo: Not Sleezy fetish Sim

Red 3mu

Mar 29, 2011
AyreonMaiden said:
Played it, got Emi's good ending. ADORED this game. I wanna do the other paths, but I'm waiting to sorta "get over" Emi as I'm still attached to her slightly.

First VN I've ever played, and it was very tastefully done. They have physical disabilities but that doesn't change that they're teenagers and that sex is a part of that life. This genre is notorious for being exploitative (or so I hear,) but this was so far from that it's not even funny.
I literally know exactly what you mean, I found it a bit unnerving when I got attached to the characters in this game as I haven't in any other game. This being the first VN ive ever played too, I thought it was well made and makes me want to play more of this genre.

Theres an article on RPS about it ( http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/10/impressions-katawa-shoujo/#more-88013 ) which makes me cringe at how wrong and close-minded the writer is.

People tend to only think of a game as something to spend/waste time doing or relaxing on, as opposed to an actual experience.

Red 3mu

Mar 29, 2011
Kvaedi said:
And I was amazed. This game made me feel things. This game inspired me to go running this morning. This game inspired me to actually work out an exercise plan for myself.
Haha I go running 3 times a week because of this game, it made me get my act together

Invadergray

Oct 17, 2011
I think calling this a "game" is a bit of a stretch, it's more of an interactive "choose your own adventure" manga. That being said, it s surprisingly really good. Following Rin's storyline really explored new philosophical and emotional possibilities and I was very drawn in. A lot of the girls are the standard anime pick-and-mix but Rin was a new type of charater and her storyline was unique and engaging. Very very well done. That being said I hate Hisao. The main character is a twat. I want a secret bonus mode where I'm Kenji instead.

James Nixon

Nov 8, 2010
When I heard this was being made by guys from 4chan I was worried about it being pervy and rude. But they treated the subject with tact and respect and made a very food game in the process. Doesn't fetishise the disabilities at all, if anything the characters aren't defined by their disabilities but by their personalities. Really enjoyed playing it and will probably do a second run though to follow the other story arcs.

Red 3mu said:
Kvaedi said:
And I was amazed. This game made me feel things. This game inspired me to go running this morning. This game inspired me to actually work out an exercise plan for myself.
Haha I go running 3 times a week because of this game, it made me get my act together
Made me start re-learning sign language. Might have to start running too.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
So far I'm into Act 2 of Hanako's path, so I haven't experienced that much of the game.

But I can say that so far I am really intrigued by it. The writing is excellent to say the least, easily above some video games I could name but won't. The music is pleasant(or sad), but certainly appropriate for the scene I am in.

Unfortunately my PC is located in a most unprivate space(under the stairs next to the passage that people frequently walk past) so I haven't had a chance to play recently. Next chance I get I'ma rewatch the Hanako scenes to get myself back into it.

She tugged my heartstrings good.

Red 3mu

Mar 29, 2011
James Nixon said:
Red 3mu said:
Kvaedi said:
Made me start re-learning sign language. Might have to start running too.
A game that makes people want to better themselves is a very good game in my books

Ph33onix

Jun 4, 2010
Yep, I came here scared out of my mind that this wonderful gem was going to be smeared by anti-anythingjapanese people and trolls but to my pleasant surprise everybody seems to be actually trying the game before judging it and have been treating it with the respect any work deserves.

Personally I loved it. As it starts with this cheesy setup being made by 4chan and possibly being some fetishistic dating sim the contrast between that and the actual game itself turns it into an instant classic gem. Also although there are lots of good dating sims out there most don't have a good english release and even the japanese version can't be installed easily. This unfortunately means that I've only ever trully played 2 visual novels: this and Snow Sakura.

The one other thing that stands out about this game is how it actually makes you reconsider your way of thinking about how living with a disability would be like and how you should treat people with particular disabilities. Being a rational person I've also been sort of a life-is-life kind of guy but reading this I've noticed just how many things I did not consider about such situations.

As for the story, you should be careful because the main character is quite polymorphic as far as his personality goes. It is best if you treat each "path" as also having a different main character or at least a different perspective.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
kouriichi said:
What are your thoughts on it?
If you've played it, what do you think? Was it what you were expecting?
If you haven't, will you give it a try?
It's one of dullest games i ever played. It features enormous amounts of text and fails to build some atmosphere for me.
Also : you need only 9-11 answers to score a chick.
I'm really disappointed.

By the way. I dated disabled girl once. Nothing to fear. I hope the designers had this idea in mind when they did this game.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I'll simply quote myself, from the original thread:

"""""""Now having played down every path, with good, and both bad endings for each but one girl. Got it right the first time, and didn't have the heart to make anything go badly with her..

I can honestly said this is some of the best writing I have seen in a game. Not only in script, each scene, every second of music, and the character art itself is just filed down to something near resembling perfection.

This might be the fangirl in me of dating sims/visual novels, but this is without a doubt the best visual novel(I refuse to call it a dating sim, as once chapter one is over, the girl is already decided, so there isn't much "dating" to be had in the usual term) I have ever played. I love it, and everybody in it to death.

Thank you four leaf studios.

/fangirl rant over

Actually no. I forgot: The sex.

This might be one thing that bothered me most having read over the forum, mentions of sexplotation and fetishes, this is not true. Not one bit. I can't really say much about sexplotation except that no, it isn't true.

As far as fetish on the disabled goes.. If you find have it, you will think about that, fair enough. But not once, not for a single second of the story is this novel in any way catered to those fetishes, the disabilities are there, sure.

And for atleast one of the characters the physical disability is a core story element. But never once is it brought up as flavor for the sex scenes, or as catering to the fetishistic.

Again, thank you four leaf studios. For making this novel. For making me cry and squee with happiness.

Alright. End rant.""""""""

Quote over.

This VN is just amazing, please do yourself a favour and don't miss out. Download it, and atleast try it. Okey? <3

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
I started playing this just yesterday and I'm pretty impressed so far. I do like visual novel games, but this one seems better then most. The writing is solid and the intro paints protagonist Hisao as an actual three dimensional character.

For a game that was free, I'm very surprised by how good this game is.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
It's certainly not the best visual novel out there but it's still a very decent one, especially considering it being freely available. I greatly respect the people involved for what they've managed to get done.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Smertnik said:
It's certainly not the best visual novel out there but it's still a very decent one, especially considering it being freely available. I greatly respect the people involved for what they've managed to get done.
I would argue that it is at least *on par with* the best VNs, in the sense that a large part of the VN fandom can reasonably claim that it's their favorite.
The only difference between it and other great visual novels, isn't even anything objective, just an intangible feeling that you happen to like certain themes, characters, and art styles, more than others.

And that's a pretty damn good result for it, not just in it's status as a free VN, but especially as a WESTERN product.

I mean, that's a great acchivement. WE DID IT! We, weeaboos, produced something that holds the best standard of the Japanese industry that we like so much. That's how it might feel like when your country wins at an international sports event.

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
Yes, thank you 4 Leaf Studios, making the cynic in me burst into tears with a visual novel of all things.

It might very well be the best thing i've ever read too (i'm sucker for romance).

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
The idea of this game made me feel conflicted about whether to play it, it seemed like it could be a fetishism played straight or a real attempt to add humanity to people seen as "mutilated".

Judging by the posts above me, it appears that the answer lies with the latter.

I shall consider it.

gruggins

Apr 24, 2011
I first found out about it six months ago by cruising tv-tropes (i can't exactly remember how)
and i must say that it sounds mighty intruiging. especially considering that it is the spawn of 4chan

anyway I thought it was still in developement? is it finished now?

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
rabidmidget said:
The idea of this game made me feel conflicted about whether to play it, it seemed like it could be a fetishism played straight or a real attempt to add humanity to people seen as "mutilated".

Judging by the posts above me, it appears that the answer lies with the latter.

I shall consider it.
Even better, it's as good as any good romantic drama, except that the setting happens to be a high school for kids with special needs. There is no heavy-handed focus on the disabilities, neither as fetishism, nor as a piece of disabled-rights propaganda.

The fact that the characters are disabled allows for some unique dramatic plot points, that other VNs would use dead-little-sisters or rape-as-backstory to invoke, or something similar, but that's about it.

excusablegold said:
I first found out about it six months ago by cruising tv-tropes
anyway I thought it was still in developement? is it finished now?
It was released a week ago.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Hmm I'm a straight girl so while I'm not entirely sure it's appropriate for me to play it :p it looks tastefully done to me and not at all like a fetish game. The art is cute too and the girls don't look overly sexualised.

I think maybe there's only Joker from ME that is the single disabled games character I can think of? That's kind of sad.