Poll: Kids and video games.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
Ultimately, TOO much of anything is bad for children. Yes, we should encourage gaming, but we should also encourage hiking, traveling, playing sports, reading, writing and other activities to help them grow.

It is also up to the parents to remind the kids at the end of the day that a game is not real and that they should never attempt those kinds of things in real life.

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
Communist partisan said:
Sooo... Just a knuckle sandwich? I'm sorry, I do prefer violent and retarded ways of solving problems... Easier to insult and tell somebody to fuck off than having a long complicated debate. But i still get what you mean, so did you at least kick his arse in a civilized way?
Don't worry about it. It's not retarded if it's truly justified, like if someone had burned your parents house down with them still inside. THAT shit warrants revenge in its bloodiest form (That also the reason I hate most sports. Because of the fans kicking the crap out of each other because they support a different team, not because they did something horrible to them).

Not sure if I've kicked any arses yet, hopefully I won't need to. The whole reason I started this thread was because I didn't want to think I was the only person who wanted to defend video games.

Either way, I'll edit the original post if anything new and tasty happens.

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
Mallefunction said:
Ultimately, TOO much of anything is bad for children. Yes, we should encourage gaming, but we should also encourage hiking, traveling, playing sports, reading, writing and other activities to help them grow.

It is also up to the parents to remind the kids at the end of the day that a game is not real and that they should never attempt those kinds of things in real life.
Very true. I did that stuff when I was young as well as play games. 18 mile bike rides across awesome places, walking a 21 mile mountain range and so on and so forth. Even if I hadn't done that, I still realise that pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger would change you in ways that nothing else on earth could.

hagar2

A RoMAN
Jul 24, 2010
kids arent as stupid as the media claims. im sure a child knows that its bad to rip a persons heart out and eat it, regardless of how much they try... but its just to much restraint.

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
hagar2 said:
kids arent as stupid as the media claims. im sure a child knows that its bad to rip a persons heart out and eat it, regardless of how much they try... but its just to much restraint.
It's all to do with the parents. A new law should be passed worldwide.

"Your reproductive systems are hereby banned until you can learn to look after what they create"

Communist partisan

Jan 24, 2009
Communist partisan said:
DrStupid87 said:
Communist partisan said:
I really hope you wrote what you thought to your relative, if you didn't you must.
I thought about it to be honest. But imagine if the Houses of Parliament or the U.S Senate tried to settle their debates by calling the opposition a "big fat muppet wanker", we'd still be trying to invent the wheel.
Sooo... Just a knuckle sandwich? I'm sorry, I do prefer violent and retarded ways of solving problems... Easier to insult and tell somebody to fuck off than having a long complicated debate. But i still get what you mean, so did you at least kick his arse in a civilized way?
For the love of god you must update! :D

But I really find it easier just punching'em if I have a reason.
I enjoy debates and arguing on a civil level with no harassment of each other but if you trip the wrong wire you'll be in hospital for a few months and I'll be laughing in jail while getting raped, fare trade. Haha!

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Okay, yeah a kid can be affected by videogames as much as any other media. Kids aren't total morons, but they can still be affected by certain things they see and they may attempt to emulate it. Some kids may simply go "cool" others may begin to live and breath it. There is however one thing that can help prevent it: Don't let them play it. Most kids can't even afford a 20 dollar game, let along a 60 dollar one. Don't buy your kids a game called GRAND THEFT AUTO. Though, there are other factors that can end up getting the game into a child's view, let alone hands.

Older relatives who can actually afford this game may play it in front of someone kids. Whether it be an older brother, cousin, or hell even the father. Parents can ask them to not play certain games in front of them, but sometimes they won't really care. Let's be honest, no remotely intelligent parent would ever buy an actual "child" a truly violent videogame. However, if they do...well, good on ya. You should know what you're exposing your child to and have to ask yourself if they can take it. If you can't answer that...don't fucking buy them a violent videogame!

I can see why a lot of kids are turning predominantly to violent videogames though. Aside from popularity, there's not really a lot of interesting E games coming out for major consoles. Aside from the blatant Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, and other Nintendo titles there aren't a lot of compelling multi-platform E rated games. All I see are sports games, movie games, quiz games, tons of shovelware and that's pretty much it aside from a few sidescrollers, downloadable games, and a few random exclusives.

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
We've got a new update (See the picture on the original post). Despite me trying to keep it civil, it seems, according to the relative, that I'm now talking bullshit. Oooh I'm getting ready for war...

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
Also, I'll take any recommendations from you Escapists on what to say. Sure I can think of a thing or two to say to this 'qualified' idiot. But there are limits to my 'uneducated' fool brain.

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
InsipidMadness said:
Just how people aeons ago tried pegging reading as a horrible influence, then movies, and music, the blame game has now moved to videogames. Really any form of fiction is usually a sin of sorts in the world of the closed minded. Most people fail to recognize a lot of families these days have only one parent, or both parents working, or other sorts of complications in the kids life. So if the kid goes out and acts poorly, it's probably not the game's fault, it's usually the parents fault; I mean where did they go to learn to become parents?
Agreed! What you said about single parent families was my life and to the best of my knowledge, I haven't received brain damage because of it. It was smoking waaay too much weed that did that for me (Short term memory is a pile of crap).
Even though I was in a single parent upbringing, I was still taught good morals and respect my respective parents for doing that. Half the time, I wish I could just crack open this relatives skull and re-wire their brain to be more understanding about this whole issue. For all of this relatives naysaying, they've not played more than 2 hours worth of video games in their 40+ year life.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Zoomy said:
Spartan448 said:
Look, first of all, that's a humor site. The site title even says "America's only HUMOR SITE since 1958". Since the interwebs wasn't around in 1958, that's just more evidence that that site is full of bull****. There is evidence to show that games can affect the minds of kids, even if it's only a little bit. Kids see things in games. They learn it, and try to copy the characters to be cool. That's why the U.S. Army made a game to boost recruitment: People played it, and wanted to imitate the characters in the game to be cool. Same thing with fucking Columbine. All it took was playing a modded version of Doom to push two otherwise respectable students over the edge.
First of all, Humour =/= fiction. Read a few of the articles. It's well researched stuff, explained in the medium of dick jokes. And the 1958 line refers to Cracked magazine, which started in 1958.

You know what is equal to fiction? Claims that the Columbine kids played/made a DooM mod based on their school. That never happened, it was a lie invented to demonise games*. One did say "it's gonna be like fucking DooM!", which is not in any way an admittion that DooM made them do it. If they had done so in the 1940's, they'd have probably said "It's gonna be like fucking Pearl Harbour!".

*Similar lies were told about Marilyn Manson and the Matrix, I believe.
Yes, humor does equal fiction. That's exactly what I said. And ya know what fiction is? Bull****. Yes, the Columbine massacre is an extreme example, but the fact that they played a modded version of DOOM is actually a fact. I had to look into that for a research essay. If they had done it in the 40's they probably would not have referenced Pearl Harbor, seeing as that was an all-aircraft battle, not a land battle. The point of the DOOM reference was most likely because it would be like being in the first-person game to them. I'm not saying that DOOM made them do it. I'm simply saying that it was part of the influence, and may in fact have been what pushed them over the edge.