Poll: Kill La Kill - Is it any good?

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Recently, a number of my friends have been recommending a recent anime to me, Kill La Kill. I managed to track down a few clips here and there to get a taste for it and it strikes me as a very over-the-top show from the little I've seen so far.

So, I would like some second opinions of it before I really commit to watching it.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I loved it, but it's not for everyone. If you can simply have fun with it, accept all the insanity happening on-screen, and not try to take it too seriously, you'll enjoy it. If you enjoy, say, Gurren Lagann or FLCL, you'll enjoy Kill la Kill, since it's from the same team. If you're looking for a Cowboy Bebop or something much more grounded to reality, then you'll be disappointed.

Also keep in mind that it's ecchi, which means there's gonna be a lot of fanservice. I will say however as the show goes on you grow used to it and for the most part it does work itself into the show, but if you still feel like it will distract from your experience, I say it might not be for you.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If you liked/ loved Gurren Lagaan then you're on the right track.

If not but if you're liked over the top action and get past on the character attires (there is a meaning behind it) then it is still worth a watch.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
It is fantastic. Certainly not for everyone, but if your after an over the top rollercoaster you cannot do better. One of my personal favourites, I absolutely recommend it.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
It's self aware for how outrageously stupid it is, and it revels in it. It also knows the exact moment when to stop being stupid and be serious, if just for brief moments at times.

If you're into that, I'd also suggest looking into shows also made by Trigger such as Panty, Stocking & Garterbelt.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I really enjoyed it. Had awesome soundtrack and characters. Wasnt as good as Gurren Lagann though

UMID

Mar 5, 2008
I'm slowly getting over a mild allergy to anime, and I have mainly KLK to thank for that.
It takes all yer standard anime weirdness, angst and recycling of footage, and turns it up to 11. It's kinda like playing soccer with a tennis ball, after you've gone through that, everything else seems easier.
And somehow it was still pretty enjoyable, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Yeah, im gonna have to say pretty much exactly what everyone else here is.

While definitely not for everyone, this show is absolutely fantastic. If fanservice is your kryptonite or you demand serious and grounded content then avoid it like the plague, but if you are okay with T&A and a truckload of sillyness you can have a DAMN good time with this show.

While it can be extremely silly, it can also be surprisingly sincere. Kill La Kill does a better job of making you care about a fucking outfit then most animes can ever do with their characters.

If you have seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann you can use that as a measuring stick. If you liked TTGL you will almost definitely like this, if you didn't like it then KLK is probably not for you. And if you haven't seen Gurren Lagann then what the fuck, man go watch it now.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
UMID said:
I'm slowly getting over a mild allergy to anime, and I have mainly KLK to thank for that.
It takes all yer standard anime weirdness, angst and recycling of footage, and turns it up to 11. It's kinda like playing soccer with a tennis ball, after you've gone through that, everything else seems easier.
And somehow it was still pretty enjoyable, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how
The same situation counts for me, the last question I can at least answer partially: they took the effort to make pretty much every single battle look like the epic final battle of a whole series. One helluva roller coaster ride indeed.

I still have to finish it, waiting for a dub, but I do indeed like it a lot. Stellar animations, hilariously self-aware, damn cool action. Given, you have to bite through the (self-aware) fan service but I found it worth it.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
UMID said:
Passion. Every character is just so damn into it, it's impossible not to be as well.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Its a great watch.

The characters are all interesting and well designed, the story is outrageous and funny, the fight scenes are good.

Its just worth a watch.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
All I can say for sure is that in order to like it, you'll have to at least be able to deal with the odd erm... screen... division? Look I don't know what the term for it is, just know that it constantly does that same thing as gurren lagann where the "camera" is way too close and in order to still fit the scene into the screen it has to be all warped. And on top of that they do that typical anime thing where the size of certain things is suddenly vey exaggerated and... Look, let me just give you an example instead...
Personally I couldn't get over that.

gagagaga

Aug 17, 2013
It's a very self aware and cartoony dumb shounen. If that sounds like good entertainment, you'll probably like it.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Everything about the show, from the animation to the characters to the story, is conducted with an extreme amount of enthusiasm. I thought the choreography was mesmerizing, especially when the scissor blade was pulled out.

The pacing kept pushing the viewer ahead, even when it looked like things couldn't reach a bigger climax, and each fight was just plain satisfying to watch. It really felt good to see a villain get hit.

Besides all that's been said, the clothing-motif was particularly fascinating and really stitched the show together. Not to mention, the show goes all-out with its visuals when it can!

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Yes. It's ridiculous and utterly shameless, but yes, it's good. The reason I let the fanservice be is because it's more equal opportunity than a lot of anime that have fanservice as a central aspect of it.

Also, some of the best fight scenes ever. They knew exactly where to spend their animating budget.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Timotei said:
If you're into that, I'd also suggest looking into shows also made by Trigger such as Panty, Stocking & Garterbelt.
Just want to clear things up, Trigger is not responsible for PnS, it was by GAINAX. To make it more specific, you want things made by Imaishi Hiroyuki as the Director..or Nakashima Kazuki as the Creator.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
If you like kinda dumb (lets be honest here, it is. I still love it though) shows that are off their everloving tits, than you will like this show. Basically if you've seen Gurren Lagann and enjoyed it you will enjoy this. It's worth taking an hour out of your day to watch the first 2-3 episodes to see if you enjoy it. I heartily recommend it.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
bliebblob said:
All I can say for sure is that in order to like it, you'll have to at least be able to deal with the odd erm... screen... division? Look I don't know what the term for it is, just know that it constantly does that same thing as gurren lagann where the "camera" is way too close and in order to still fit the scene into the screen it has to be all warped. And on top of that they do that typical anime thing where the size of certain things is suddenly vey exaggerated and... Look, let me just give you an example instead...
Personally I couldn't get over that.
That's the whole point of Gamagori's character, though. He's supposed to be any size the show needs him to be in order to look intimidating. He has no set scale. Plus, I love how they take advantage of his size in order to make so pretty funny/cool situations out of it.

As for the other characters, you mean stuff like this, right?
It's weird, yeah, but I take it as an interesting take on manipulating perspective. As an artist, I think it's neat.

OP: Kill la Kill is a show that requires you to turn your brain off to fully enjoy. Most of the show is entirely bullshit, but that's what makes it fun. It's so stupidly self-aware of itself that it takes advantage of that fact and makes something truly unique with it.

It's a show with good characters, fuckin' catchy-ass tunes, some pretty good animation considering how much budget Trigger had to work with, and is just overall really fun to watch. I was grinning the whole way through, and I haven't been like that since I watched Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking. I'd say it's worth a watch.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
To be honest i'm a sucker for all the over the top action stuff so KLK was totally the best anime i've seen for ages from the word go and there have been a lot of good anime released this very season. I was sold the moment Satsuki emitted angelic light from her body because of reasons.

"As glorious as ever, Satsuki-sama..."

Also, that music. The soundtrack is still on repeat whenever I get the chance.

Somehow they manage to explain away the fanservice and it's a well written character focused story. Somehow. The creators of TTGL still have their ways it seems.