Poll: Kill La Kill - Is it any good?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
It's insane. It's batshit insane. I didn't understand anything and was at a loss until I accepted the crazy by episode 5. It's stupid, really stupid. But I loved it. I really loved it. Gurren Lagann was amazing. If you liked that, you'll enjoy this. Just don't expect a deep experience. It's meant to be pure sexual madness with large battles and yelling people with booming music behind it. And it works. And the last 5 or so episodes... I was highly anticipating each episode to appear on the internet. I was awe struck~

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Malbourne said:
Besides all that's been said, the clothing-motif was particularly fascinating and really stitched the show together
Ahhhh, I see what ya did there XD Gotta admit, the clothing based plot was one I've never seen, and I liked it too. Was really interesting.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
If you get passed the whole "fanservice" thing that it apparently seems to have then yes..it's definitely worth the watch.

The story concludes rather well and after seeing it I recommend it heartily.

Korenith

Oct 11, 2010
I'll add my recommendation to the pile as well. The fanservice stuff people keep talking about ties in nicely with the show's desire to lovingly parody the shonen genre and there's a male character in it who is equally over sexualised presumably to highlight just how creepy fanservice can be at times. It's all very self-aware, very over the top and very enjoyable and I'll also agree with the people saying it can be quite heartfelt and affecting in places too. Best anime I've watched in a long while.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
thejboy88 said:
Recently, a number of my friends have been recommending a recent anime to me, Kill La Kill. I managed to track down a few clips here and there to get a taste for it and it strikes me as a very over-the-top show from the little I've seen so far.

So, I would like some second opinions of it before I really commit to watching it.
First of all, I don't know how familiar you are with anime, but people have been saying Kill la Kill is "over-the-top" this whole thread. While this is definitely the case, don't get it confused with something completely nonsensical like "Bo Bo-Bo" or "Excel Saga" - the plot is clearly defined, and actions generally make sense even if they're ridiculous. Not that those two aren't utterly amazing, but they're very different shows.

To me, it's an anime fan's anime, something that knows what it is, loves what it is, and plays to its own strengths. The animation is awesome, the music and themes will get stuck in your head for days, and the characters are relatable enough for you to root for as well as being ridiculous enough for you to laugh at. It's not something that's going to give you an excess case of the feels, but it's REALLY fun, so give it a go on CrunchyRoll or one o' dem sites.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Definitely recommend it. Yes, it's wacky, over-the-top, and generally takes a piss out of everything until the Cerebus syndrome kicks in, yet it remains engaging and fun to watch even afterwards. And it's not just random fooling around, it does all make sense.

Britpoint

Aug 30, 2013
Yes. It is utterly ridiculous and it's full of things that, when described to you, will put you right off, but when you actually watch them are brilliant. It makes constant fun of its own ridiculousness and even manages to tug at the old heartstrings from time to time.

After the first ten minutes I was convinced I was going to hate it, but by the end of episode 2 I was completely hooked.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
It's pretty stupid to be honest, but enjoyable enough that you'll eventually stop questioning it.

inactive123

Feb 6, 2014
I've gotten up to episode 14 so far after it was recommended by a friend who generally has good taste, and I am definitely enjoying it.

It does take getting use to though and I would advise watching the first 3 episodes at least. If you're not willing to continue after that then it's probably not for you.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Also, that music. The soundtrack is still on repeat whenever I get the chance.

Huh.

That actually wasn't bad. But guitar-heavy for my taste, but still...

Aw Christ. This is how it starts, isn't it?

Internet, I swear to God, if you tempt me into watching another anime...

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
oh it's fun. Yeah it's goofy and off the wall. But take it as they're playing along and it's a pretty good watch

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
bliebblob said:
actually Ira's constantly shifting size is kind of a running joke, at one point he was literally Gundam scale compared to another character,

Zhukov said:
theres a whole fight scene that plays out to several classical scores, best part is? It makes perfect sense given the character.

OT: the show is over the top, admittedly kind dumb, and a total roller-coaster pop corn anime.

It's like Gurren Laggann like that, but unlike TTGL, Kill la Kill's plot makes much more 'sense', in that it's coherent and not a thing that that goes flimsy and see through when even the tiniest bit of logic is applied. For the first few eps its got a 'monster of the week' thing going, even a really great 7th ep I'd tell you about, cept the first rule is to not talk about it .... >.>;; actually, ep7 is just about when things get really going, and it just snow balls from there.

one quick side note; Mako, the 'comic relief character'? yeah, she's the only one I've ever seen that could justify their existence be a joy to watch and have around rather then an annoyance.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
If your not interested after episode 1, stop watching. If you're still on board after episode 4. I would recommend seeing the entire series. Of course, I don't know your tastes, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
In my top-5 for sure, and I generally prefer anime that isn't very anime-y. KLK is self aware, which is what I require in my dumb anime. KLK is a dumb anime, but it is so sincere and enthusiastic that it I can't not love every aspect of it.

Watch it now! Do it!

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
bliebblob said:
Personally I couldn't get over that.
That's just Gamagoori though - I believe his size is canonically "the biggest thing on-screen".

To the OP - I think it's fantastic.

Edit: As an aside, I loathe fanservice. But the thing about Kill la Kill is, it really isn't fanservice. It's not titillation for the sake of it, it's a bloody plot point.