Poll: Kingdom Hearts 3 -Poll-

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
TakerFoxx said:
I'm willing to wait for them to release all the necessary side games. I just wish we would get some kind of official confirmation that yes, KHIII is in fact being worked on instead of something that they'll get to when they feel like it
They cannot confirm that KHIII is in fact being worked on because it isn't. Development has not started and won't until they finish FF Versus XIII. It's hard to be impatient for a game you know won't be released for several years. Hopefully I'll still care when Squeenix finally announces KHIII.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Yeah I'm being patient but it's getting extremely hard to do.....I just have a horrible feeling I'll be like 60 and waiting in line and whacking kids with a cane just to get a copy of KH3

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
My wife was a really big KH fan. But beyond the games coming to so frequently, she got tired of them having no consistent platform. Sure, it's understandable if a game jumps from the PS1 to the PS2 to the PS3 (like the Metal Gear series), but they didn't even do that. Some games came out for Game Boy Advanced, others for the PSP, etc. Eventually, some got ported to different platforms, but if you wanted to play the game when it came out, you had to have every platform in gaming history. And that was the deal breaker.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Dream Drop Distance is a sequel to 2 (thankfully) and its gonna set the stage for 3, Can't wait to see how it ends.
Really? Damn, that means I need a 3DS. I was hoping it was another I could just skip out on like 358/2. I already bought a PSP exclusively for BBS and Final Fantasy: Dissidia. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME, SQUARE? WHAT MORE?

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Dream Drop Distance is a sequel to 2 (thankfully) and its gonna set the stage for 3, Can't wait to see how it ends.

Also more Final Fantasy Characters BBS had only 1 (Zack) and 358/2 days had none.
Now you mention it, all the post-KH2 KH games have been pre or midquels. I look forward to KH3D continuing the story.

Hasido

Jun 20, 2011
whats up with all the kingdom hearts lately? has there been news that I've missed? it seems that i have seen a reference to it at least once a day for a few weeks now.

that or its just the human pattern recognition tendency.

irishdude

Feb 4, 2009
sweet jesus christ do i want KH3 so much, even a up-scaled console verision of birth by sleep would be great becauses i dont have a psp

irishdude

Feb 4, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Meh, I'm not big on KH anymore. I liked the first one, 2nd one was....acceptible (except for the ear-bleedingly bad Little Mermaid world). But I didn't really like the ending for the 2nd one, which I believe can be perfectly summed up in the following comic:

love the ending to the second game, but ya a little bit to much of missing riku that much

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I don't mind waiting. I happen to love the story so having it be more fleshed out isn't a bad thing in my eyes. Plus I'm pretty patient when it comes to game releases...*glares at Final Fantasy Versus XIII*

What I DO mind however, is having to buy a separate console for all the different spin offs. Considering that Dream Drop Distance is basically a direct sequel to KH2 and direct prequel to KH3, needing to buy a brand new console for it is kind of annoying.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Hasido said:
whats up with all the kingdom hearts lately? has there been news that I've missed? it seems that i have seen a reference to it at least once a day for a few weeks now.

that or its just the human pattern recognition tendency.
Well this trailer came out about a month ago:

EDIT: Hmm...doesn't seem to work when I embed it. Well here's the direct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlex8ja2eNI

Although if you've never played any of the prior games then you may not understand a thing that's going on...

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I'm used to waiting for games, it doesn't bother me much and I'm not playing the spin-offs or following the news about it or whatever else. So it's not on my mind at the moment. Sure, when it gets announced, I'll start to anticipate it again but for now, I can easily wait.

Sep 13, 2010
anthony87 said:
I don't mind waiting. I happen to love the story so having it be more fleshed out isn't a bad thing in my eyes. Plus I'm pretty patient when it comes to game releases...*glares at Final Fantasy Versus XIII*

What I DO mind however, is having to buy a separate console for all the different spin offs. Considering that Dream Drop Distance is basically a direct sequel to KH2 and direct prequel to KH3, needing to buy a brand new console for it is kind of annoying.
this gets my goat as well, with the 3ds lineup looking somewhere between meh and wtf? a 3ds is a big investment for a single game.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Aetheora said:
I have seen MANY rants over the years for Kingdom Hearts 3, with people getting very impatient and tired of waiting. Although I can understand the rage, everybody need to just take a breather for a moment. Yes, we are all anticipating this game, expecting great things of it. But because spin-off games are being made in its place, there's much anger. Why? Do you all not understand why these spin-off games exist?

See, Kingdom Hearts has a story, and it was going to be something simpler. But now it's something bigger, because Disney and Square-Enix are saying "make more of this, and we'll get loads of money". And so, to make it span more games, the story has been shaped into something much bigger than its original intention. And that's why the spin-off games exist. These are here to explain plot elements and events that are not explained in the main games of KH 1 & 2. or elements that are vaguely mentioned.

This isn't just stuff being pulled out of their asses (at least not entirely), these are elements of the story that need to be explained in order for KH 3 to make sense. As far as I'm aware of, KH 3 is gonna be the big, epic finale to end the series. But, we can't have a finale when characters, events, and all else are missing, right? These spin-off games are here to fill in the gaps of the Kingdom Hearts story, to make it all complete. Once it is complete, KH 3 will be made, and it will all make sense, and everything will come together. Just cause it's not what everybody wanted, doesn't mean it's worth raging about. This is just the reality of it.

This YouTube comment says this all quite well (I forgot the user name and source)

"Given the story of Kingdom Hearts was supposed to stand alone, the way Nomura's worked the plot to span other games and at least attempt to make sense of it is truly a remarkable feat of storytelling. It's not his fault he has TWO big companies looking over his shoulder saying "this made money, make another." Instead of copping out and recycling a plot, he tried to make it his own and give us a story actually worth experiencing."

Well, thoughts?
The spinoff games don't explain a damn thing if you don't own all of the million consoles they're spread thinly across.

I had to have a friend explain KH2 to me at the start, because all of the background for it wasn't in KH, it was in some wierd spinoff for a console I didn't have.

In any case, they're not really spinoffs if they contain important plot information. You should be able to play KH1, 2 and 3 without having to play these minor games inbetween to understand what the fuck is going on.

In short, I wish they'd stop with all the extra cash ins and just make the third game.
(Not that it matters now, it's been so long since I played the others I can't even remember the plot)

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
RJ 17 said:
I enjoyed KH2 but finny fun was disturbing and no fun at all. When I started playing the game I was under the impression that Sora was on a mission to find Kairi, Mickey and beat the tar out of Riku along the way but apparently I was wrong. Basically, I perceive the ending of KH2 as a win for the representation of homosexuality in video games. Kairi was just, y'know, the girl, on the side, getting in the way of the "real" relationship in the game.

To be more on topic: Why do I need patience? It's kind of hard to wait for a game that hasn't even been officially announced which to me means that it doesn't exist yet. As far as I'm concerned, KH3 is just an unorganized collection of thoughts on the minds of a few Square-Enix and Disney developers.

Arina Love said:
i hate Disney so i don't care at all about KH3.
You have piqued my curiosity. If you don't mind, please, elaborate.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
airrazor7 said:
RJ 17 said:
To be more on topic: Why do I need patience? It's kind of hard to wait for a game that hasn't even been officially announced which to me means that it doesn't exist yet. As far as I'm concerned, KH3 is just an unorganized collection of thoughts on the minds of a few Square-Enix and Disney developers.
Whoa whoa whoa, they haven't even announced KH3? The only reason I bothered replying to this thread was that I was under the assumption it had been announced. That being the case, I'm afraid Square-Enix is too busy beating its deadest of all horses - the Final Fantasy series - to bother with another KH right now. And now that they've said they intend to take a Call of Duty approach and have a new FF every year, the chances of KH slipping in there are looking mighty slim.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Aetheora said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The problem lies in that the spinoff games just aren't as good as the main titles.

The original KH was great, and then there was Chain of Memories which... wasn't.

KH 2 was also great, but it was already starting to show signs of Japanese Androgynous Angst Syndrome. I stopped caring about the spinoff games after that point.

By the time KH3 rolls around, I'm scared it will just be as terribly contrived as FF13.

I really hope that's not the case.
Well, apparently Dream Drop Distance is setting the stage for KH3, so I don't think it'll be very long now
Which I probably won't play, so by the time KH3 arrives, I won't have any idea what the bloody hell is happening.

May have to have a wiki binge and read up on all the plotlines I've missed.
The only games that are important/necessary to understand what the big picture is and what might occur in KH3 are (in order): Kingdom Hearts (1), Kingdom Hearts 2, Kingdom Hearts: BBS, and possibly Kingdom Hearts 3D (judging sole by what the trailers are hinting at).

All the other titles pretty much fill in the gaps between all of the above titles, so it's not a big loss if you are not familiar with them.

Jul 9, 2011
Aetheora said:
These spin-off games are here to fill in the gaps of the Kingdom Hearts story, to make it all complete. Once it is complete, KH 3 will be made, and it will all make sense, and everything will come together. Just cause it's not what everybody wanted, doesn't mean it's worth raging about.
The problem with this logic is that you wrongly assume that side stories have a duty to fill in certain important plot details. They do not. They are side stories for a reason. There should be no reason why one cannot play straight through KHI and KHII (and a theoretical KHIII) and understand the storyline connecting the two (or three).

But in order to understand even something as seemingly simple as the transition from KHI to KHII, as well as who these new characters are, you MUST play what is ostensibly a side story, Chain of Memories. And does that not defeat the purpose of making KHII the proper sequel in the first place?

The "trilogy" should be self-contained. You should not need to consult outside sources (ie "spin-offs") for crucial plot details. That is not "opening up the world" or whatever phrase you might use; that's just bad, bad, god-awfully bad storytelling. And pretty jerkish business practice, to boot.

So to answer your question: If KH had gone the way it should have gone, then part III would already have come out and I wouldn't have to waste any patience. But the way it is now, I'm willing to wait forever to see a proper sequel, because no amount of additional stories and characters and worlds is going to make it any less of a convoluted mess of a game.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Only problem I have is that... The spin offs can't stick to one freaking platform... Geez, making two games that are supposed to lead up to 3 on the Phone/Ds, and 3DS, another prequel game on the DS and then a Prequel on the PSP...

Can't they stick to one platform? Seriously, by the time 3 comes out, they will have a crap load to explain to players who didn't play the spin offs.