Poll: Kojima suggests Foreign Studio remake original Metal Gear

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
http://kotaku.com/5370315/kojima-maybe-a-foreign-studio-should-re+make-metal-gear

I'd quite like to see what Ubi Montreal or Crytek would do with Snake.

RetiarySword

Apr 27, 2008
All about Ubisoft. What games have they made what suck? None I can think of, what games have been made what rock? Splinter Cell series, rainbow 6, ghost recon, assasins creed, etc etc.

Spaceman_Spiff

Apr 16, 2009
RetiarySword said:
All about Ubisoft. What games have they made what suck? None I can think of, what games have been made what rock? Splinter Cell series, rainbow 6, ghost recon, assasins creed, etc etc.
Dude how could you leave out the prince of Persia games?
And Rayman
And S.C.A.R.S

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Any studio in Santa Monica.

I swear there's something in the water there.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
RPG MG?
What would Bioware do with a stealth series?

Ubi just because of Splinter Cell.
And I'm feeling boring. :)

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Not Ubi... at the risk of unintentionally trolling.. I have to ask, have they ever made an above average game?

Epic games... to be honest their area these days is extreme blood based action games with steroid pumped overly American dudes that somehow have faces that are shiney. (Poor character models)

Crytek, well they do like to show off in terms of graphics so I would imagine that they would take advantage of Metal Gear's cutscene reputation, and I think they could pull off a stealth game, as they do like trying new things. Look at the suit you use in Crysis, that was pretty sweet.

Bungie, again they could pull it off. They're experienced with storyline based games and as they've done both FPS and RTS, I can see they're skilled in more than one genre.

Valve, well that would be interesting but I don't want to have to wait like 5 years for it.

Monolith... can't really comment, I liked FEAR but I don't know of any of their other work.

Bioware, RPG company mainly, however they could expand their horizons, I mean Square-Enix have tried new things. Look at Project Sylpheed (a somewhat overlooked game in my opinion).

I personally would like to see an attempt at Metal Gear by Naughty Dog. I know the chances of that happening are low, but let's face it, they always make a good game, and Uncharted was a good example of a 3rd person action game. A tweaked version of that engine would work very well for a Metal Gear game.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Also hate to be pedantic but for the love of god people we're not talking Metal Gear SOLID, just Metal Gear. The true original. The 2D one that was on the MSX2 and then badly ported to the NES. Two completely different games.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Erm, I'm surprised it hasn't simply be re-released on the PSN with a small graphical update and a few trophies. Keep it pure.
Otherwise, I'd kida like to see what Crytek do with it, they're the best at outdoor environments, though they're not known for developing for consoles.

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
TelHybrid said:
Also hate to be pedantic but for the love of god people we're not talking Metal Gear SOLID, just Metal Gear. The true original. The 2D one that was on the MSX2 and then badly ported to the NES. Two completely different games.
Wow... now THAT's retro. The people who try to remake it are certainly going to have some work on their hands, that's for sure.

Yeah, I'm gonna say Ubisoft, because while all the other programmers have done really, REALLY well, Ubi seems to have the most experience in platforming and stealth gameplay mechanics.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
Erm, I'm surprised it hasn't simply be re-released on the PSN with a small graphical update and a few trophies. Keep it pure.
Otherwise, I'd kida like to see what Crytek do with it, they're the best at outdoor environments, though they're not known for developing for consoles.
It would probably show up for the Wii, it came to America on the Nintendo console originally.
Edit:
I say Ubisoft they have a pretty good track record in stealth

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
TelHybrid said:
Not Ubi... at the risk of unintentionally trolling.. I have to ask, have they ever made an above average game?
Assasins creed is fairly popular, splinter cell series is popular, far cry 2 (a lot of people didn't like it, but a lot of people did), anno series and so on. They tend to fly under the radar a bit, but if you go looking there are a lot of really impressive ubisoft branded games. Given their experience with stealth/action games (in splinter cell) I'd say they'd probably be the most realistic choice.

Of course, if it was to happen, I'd want it to be double fine, I think they could add a kind of dry, cynical undertone to the game :)