Poll: Kotor 1 or 2?

Cyketor

Sep 22, 2008
Which would you rather? Kotor 1 or 2, because honestly kotor 1 had a better story but kotor 2 had better game play and better stuff in it!

Junkle

in the trunkle.
Oct 26, 2009
As it happens, I prefer Knights of the Old Republic 1. The story more than makes up for the gameplay/stuff, as you put it.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
I haven't played either, but have had them recommended to me by a variety of people. Well worth giving them a go?

EDIT: I got about 2 hours through Mass Effect and really didn't like it, so it's kinda made me not want to play anything Bioware. Are these similar games?

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I've only played 2, but I want to play 1, but can't for the life of me find it anywhere (I don't want to use steam, etc). The main villain is surprisingly good, and Hannarr was very interesting for a non-cannon character

Cyketor

Sep 22, 2008
Mass effect is quite different to kotor, hannarr is a wee bit annoying after 10 mins of him growling at me, HA!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
KotOR 2 mostly because I only played it once whereas I've played the first like 10 tens (I still want to play it again).

Fr said:
anc[is]I've only played 2, but I want to play 1, but can't for the life of me find it anywhere (I don't want to use steam, etc). The main villain is surprisingly good, and Hannarr was very interesting for a non-cannon character
Do you just mean buying digitally or are you talking about avoiding any online purchases even from amazon or what have you? At this point I don't think you'll get a copy any other way and even if you do there are weird problems using old copies on new computers which is why I can't use mine anymore. So sad...

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I find Kotor 2 has a better story, but is a weaker overall game thanks to multiple bugs and unfinished content, whereas Kotor 1 is smooth as butter and so polished you could eat off it, but has a rather tame plot but for one admittedly mind blowing plot twist.

Play through Kotor 1 once though and you've gotten the best of it. Kotor 2 has more lasting value as the plot is much more labyrinth in nature and more malleable in multiple playthroughs, playing good/evil has much more of an impact on how things progress.

So I gotta go with Kotor 2. Especially with the Restored Content Mod installed. Both however are amazing games, it's just my personal preference. I have a thing for buggy but brilliant games like Vampire: Bloodlines, Fallout 2, Arcanum and Kotor 2 obviously enough.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
manythings said:
Do you just mean buying digitally or are you talking about avoiding any online purchases even from amazon or what have you? At this point I don't think you'll get a copy any other way and even if you do there are weird problems using old copies on new computers which is why I can't use mine anymore. So sad...
No I'm ok with amazon, because I get a physical copy. But I don't want to hijack the topic with THAT conversation. I seem to recall it being part of some star wars bundle with a few other games however.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]
manythings said:
No I'm ok with amazon, because I get a physical copy. But I don't want to hijack the topic with THAT conversation. I seem to recall it being part of some star wars bundle with a few other games however.
I'm on your side of the fence, I prefer a physical disc too. We're still in the dark ages of broadband limits (20 gigs a month, Dragon Age is like 18 gigs) so downloading a game when I want to play just isn't an option. But like I said the copy you buy might have serious issues. Long ass loads no matter how fast your computer (it's something I've always had to live with since I am always 2-3 steps behind in computer powers) but also things like the screen freezing and if you try using wasd you are suddenly as far away as possible from where you were standing still frozen with everything else ticking alone as jerkily as possible. 100% unplayable.

PopeJewish

Apr 15, 2010
The Madman said:
I find Kotor 2 has a better story, but is a weaker overall game thanks to multiple bugs and unfinished content, whereas Kotor 1 is smooth as butter and so polished you could eat off it, but has a rather tame plot but for one admittedly mind blowing plot twist.
This. KOTOR 1 was made by BioWare, and their polish shines through. KOTOR 2 was made by Obsidian, aka Obsi-our games are never finished-dian and they anger me. I'm very worried about their treatment of Fallout New Vegas, given their track record. KOTOR 2 was a great game, just unfinished, so I have to give it to KOTOR 1.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
I'd have to say KotOR 1, though I haven't played the second one in a long time so it might change.

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
My vote is for KOTOR 1 due to the story. Seriously, it was better then the 3 prequel movies combined. The story for KOTOR 2 was pretty good too, but towards the end it felt rushed, incomplete and ultimately not as satisfying (but again, still good). I'll have to give this "restored content mod" a shot and see if it improves it.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
KoTOR 1 was excellent. I didnt like KoTOR 2 nearly as much as the first. I don't think anything can beat the evil ending to the first one either.

WitherVoice

Sep 17, 2008
Apart from the story going very clearly in KotOR 1's favour, KotOR 2 committed one of the unforgivable sins by having the enemies level with you.

MONSTERheart

Aug 17, 2009
XinfiniteX said:
I haven't played either, but have had them recommended to me by a variety of people. Well worth giving them a go?

EDIT: I got about 2 hours through Mass Effect and really didn't like it, so it's kinda made me not want to play anything Bioware. Are these similar games?
KOTOR is, gameplay wise, quite a bit different. It is much more of a traditional RPG. Definitely play it if you consider yourself an experience gamer/Star Wars fan.

On OP:

I played the first one it had fun the whole way through.

I played the second one and stopped 10 minutes in because the tutorial intro is the longest, most worthless piece of shit ever. I never finished it because the intro was just so bad it ruined the rest for me. Unless you like having no idea what your doing for the first half an hour of a game, go with the first.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
XinfiniteX said:
Holy hell no. There's at least a 5 year span between the two games, KotOR being the first of the two made; you shouldn't boycott a whole company just because a few hours of one game put a bad taste in your mouth. I didn't care for Tales of Vesperia despite being 10 hours in, but me hating Namco Bandai for it would keep me from enjoying Soul Calibur.

Anyway, aside from the obvious, the two games couldn't be more different. For one the KotOR games play more like "real-time turn-based" RPGs as opposed to ME's third-person shooter approach. Then there are the platforms, the story, the characters, the abilities you and the other characters have (Force Storm pretty much rapes the game, and Burst of Speed basically turns you into a human Sonic who knows martial arts)... I could go on, but the alcohol from this wine is starting to kick in.

kampori

Jan 25, 2010
I voted KotOR 1. As a few others have said, being made by BioWare made the first game an INFINITELY better game than anything Obsidian could ever put out. It was just.. perfect.

KotOR 2 was great in its own right, but again to reiterate everyone else- really buggy, completely unfinished.. empty. Should have been epic. Had BioWare done 2 as well.. then my vote would have to go to it..

I can only hope with every fibre in my body that BioWare will decide to make KotOR 3.. would be the greatest thing ever. Maybe once they get Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic out the way. Would make a nice tie-in with their MMORPG, the sequel to the 2 greatest single-player RPGs

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Now that I've played KOTOR 2 with the restored content mod, I'll throw my vote in for 2. Love 'em both, but Kreia is just one of the best and most ambiguous characters in all of entertainment history.

kduff51

May 3, 2009
i loved 1 and have played through it several times but really did not enjoy my time with 2

Mar 26, 2008
The original Knights of the Old Republic, it was tighter, had a better story and more interesting characters. Plus it had a plot twist that sat me on my arse.

Kreia was the only thing the sequel had going for it and even then I couldn't wait to ice the *****.