Poll: lack of cheat codes in most games

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
i've noticed that game makers are not putting cheat codes into games that much anymore , several games in my collection don't have any and any that do put few out ,kane and lynch ,splinter cell , etc don't have any while gta4 and burnout paradise have a few . on the ps2 most games had lots this seems to be a new habit that bugs me and yes I AM AWARE OF ONLINE GAMES AND NOT BEING FAIR but when you play by yourself i see no reason for this and the makers of cheat software like action replay and gameshark are no where why?

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
I'm glad they're dying.

It's like people who beat Starcraft with cheats on and say they're good at the game.

Despicable.

Rational-Delirium

Feb 24, 2009
Cheats are bad to an extent. If you're just playing it through the first time, try doing it commando, and leave GameSpot alone. Walkthroughs are bad too, unless you've been stuck for the past few days and are in danger of completely dropping the controller and *gasp* actually going outside.

If you're the fifth time through and want to drive a monster truck through a medieval countryside: go right ahead.

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
Having a cheat code that unlocks everything in a fighting game or in Guitar Hero (or similar) is fine.

I'm indifferent towards cheats now, but I have used them extensively in the past. I was really timid in my earlier gaming years, and absolutely refused to play Duke Nukem 3D or Doom without cheats.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I never use them (unless they're especially trippy like in Saints Row 2) but I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

Fatalis67

Apr 30, 2008
I think hes talking about the ones you could punch in to games like GTA or the Jak and Daxter games and have some extra fun after you beat the game. It made the game much more fun for a longer time.

ejhio

Mar 13, 2009
i use them alot muhaha >.<
only to screw with the game when i think the enemies are getting far too buffed up[ok not really]
but really cheats are for casual gamers who canot get thru the game cauz its juz that hard...well i'm juz lazy
but using cheat and boasting is stupid. hate these pretenders

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
I would say that is a little bias. Some games I enjoy using cheat codes, others I like beating the game and then having some fun with cheats. Games that require skill I tend to not use cheats at all and just play the game. Right and wrong is simply not enough to get good poll data.

implodingMan

Apr 9, 2008
I like cheats when they unlock fun extra modes or items. Ensemble Studios understood this appeal, and even in the first Age of Empires there was a code that spawned a car with a rocket launcher. In AOM there were codes for flying hippos that vomited hearts onto people, and hovering grizzly bears that wore Canadian flags for capes and killed people by firing eye lasers at them or by having their monkey minions maul them.

And that is just awesome.

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
I like the Timsplitter way, make you earn the cheats, not make them do that mush other than fun, and you cant save anything with the cheats active, so youcant lie and say your awesome, but yeah, there havnt been much games with cheats on, which is a shame because they can add hours upon hours of extra gameplay...

Plus, they can only really work well on Sandbox games for the most enjoyment...

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
Cheats, as they are commonly known, are actually testing tools, allowing game developers to jump to specific areas of a game or test specific features without having to dedicate hours of time to completing previous levels, or worrying about enemies killing them.

When I was working on Prototype, the designers were able to take me to any level and load up my weapons so that I could test them all.

In previous generations it just wasn't practical to adjust the code to remove cheats before release. Modern game development allows for testing tools and testing code that are isolated from the core game, making them much more easy to remove.

Cheats are often included as an homage to classic game culture, a decadence a lot of developers don't have the time, resources, or inclination to include. The new "cheat" is unlockables which are all too common in modern games, and rarely offer enough to re-play most titles. (OK, that last bit is an opinion, but the rest is actual factual)

Edible Cyanide

Jan 19, 2009
I believe Cheat Codes are alright if you unlock them by being crap, like if your stuck on a level and its your billionth time so at the game over screen, AGAIN, it says, Hey! your crap! want more ammo you pussy?!

Skitchy

Jan 18, 2009
Can't there be an option for "Indifferent"?
I used to use cheats to enhance the game experience like spawning a hydra in GTA:SA and creating havok... Still do in fact whenever I dust off my PS2 for a little bit of "retro" gaming.

But I'm not the kind of person to need cheats to complete a game. Cheats have always been an extra thing in the game to make it last longer after you complete it.

I suppose cheats dying out is a bad thing because alot of games are losing their replay values. Such as GTA4. That just wasn't fun, even with the cheats.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Cairo

Mar 11, 2009
I'd like to think there are fewer cheats because the games are just more fun without them. Maybe programmers have decided to put fun in games right off the bat. That's what I'd like to think, anyway.

phar

Jan 29, 2009
Because the cheats are there it doesnt mean you have to use them. Bring Mario Kart or Smash Bros around to someones house to play for a night... yeah so much fun having like 1-2 races to play.

The people that are against them are quite ignorant to the casual and multiplayer gamer.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
I never COMPLETE a game using cheats. But i have been know to use the fun cheats to play it afterward. No gravity, plus nailgun cheat in hitman two made for many hours of fun.

Aramax

Sep 27, 2007
phar said:
Because the cheats are there it doesnt mean you have to use them. Bring Mario Kart or Smash Bros around to someones house to play for a night... yeah so much fun having like 1-2 races to play.

The people that are against them are quite ignorant to the casual and multiplayer gamer.
I was going to say that cheats are useless... I guess if people use them to avoid design flaws it could be acceptable.

Unlockable content are design flaws in my opinion. What kind of gamers actually ask to have content on their games locked in the first place?

Matronadena

Mar 11, 2009
cheats/codes etc that unlocks certain things, like costumes, art gallery, or other little fun extras...sweet deal I dig those

Cheats that basically open up a god mode get a little on my nerves, but I never really liked using them personally...

I see more though that have the cheats, but using them kill ones ability to gain achievements,or even saves.

Im sorta torn to be honest... they can add to fun, but then again there are the ones who abuse them to debase anyone else around them not using them...