Poll: Legal responsiblity

LV Solace

May 8, 2008
Someone who breaks into a place by scaling a fence obviously has mal intent as to what is going to happen. A norml child at that age doesn't have the attention span to do anything they dont have thier mind set to. This australian child was screwed up enough to puposely breakinto the shelter, kill animals and feedthem to another animal.

Now weather that means he has issues or handicaps, I cant say. What I can say is that a solution for both when that severe, is to put him in a psych ward and treat him, liek what he is, a mentallly handicappped person, or a deranged crazy.

conquerworm

Nov 26, 2007
Are you serious? This is such a stupid poll. And the kid is not screwed up, just interested. Is that a crime now. Now the article was unclear as to if the kid killed the animals or if they died because he feed them to the croc. ether way, if any of you can honestly say that you have never killed and animal, reptile or otherwise then you can throw the first stone. If this kid is guilt of anything its being ignorant and interested. If thats a crime then lock up the entire population.

I personally believe in option 2. Cruelty to animals is almost the universal sign that someone's going to grow up and put a powerdrill through a woman's skull and make nice catsuit out of her flesh.

When I was a kid I killed gophers, rats, snakes, turtles, frogs, and so on. I would hunt deer and birds for food. Does that mean I am a horrible person. No. Sure he shouldn't have broken in to the place but killing the animals, I say good on him. PETA-Tards, if you don't like what I have to say, ask me for my email and it is yours to spam... :p

if it was human on human violences or feeding a human to the animal then I would say that there needs to be something done.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
TheNecroswanson post=18.73123.784605 said:
Well, I would definitely have to say the child needs to be removed from society.
It stated in the article that a turtle was one of the animals fed to the crocodile...Alligator?
Even a lion can't kill a turtle. So the kid would have had to perform some pretty gruesome acts to kill a turtle. The only option is to remove him from society until he has proven that he can be a future funtioning member of society.
I'm not quite sure I follow your reasoning. Even a lion can't kill a turtle? But turtles live in the ocean & only really go on land to lay eggs.
As far as I know lions don't inhabit coastal regions, so when would a lion even see a turtle, let alone try to kill one?

Salt-water crocodiles on the other hand, do inhabit the ocean & coastal regions, & turtles are part of their diet [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSKAXOFvi6c].

The mere act of putting the turtle in the same enclosure as the crocodile was a death sentence. It's similar to not needing to kill a mouse before feeding it to a python.

But nitpicking aside, I agree that the kid should be taking into care until the root of his actions is discovered.
Especially if he's not a psycho, when he realises the gravity of exactly what he's done he's going to need some psychological help.

If he can't see that he's done anything wrong then he should be institutionalised for the rest of his twisted life, so he can escape in 20 years time on Halloween & do it all over again.

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
GothmogII post=18.73123.784529 said:
All of you voting/saying prison or institutionalisation, aren't you being a teeny bit harsh? I mean, as short as that article is, it doesn't even say he was torturing them. What was he pulling their legs off one by one? Poking their eyes out? All it says is he was throwing them in, that sounds to me like he was trying to feed the damn thing!
Intention is debatable. However I want to point out a clarification: those famous three early signs of psychopathy include "aggression" or "abuse" against animals but not "torture". The reason I make the clarification is that the child performed the act of killing the animals. Torture would fall under either definition, but killing also falls under either.

The child would have had developed a conscience by the age of 7. If the child had taken food from a grocery store then fed it to the croc it'd be breaking and entering with shoplifting (or just B&E if he bought the food). If the zookeepers choose not to press charges then that's their thing, but the kid did break laws inspired by ethics.

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
Bah, I agree with Khell. This kid as he is now has no place in a working society. I say put him on his knees and put a double-tap through the back of his head, Boondock Saints-style. And while they're at it, take the Dad and whack his pecker off. Raising your kid like that automatically takes away you're breeding rights.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
And the kid is not screwed up, just interested. Is that a crime now. Now the article was unclear as to if the kid killed the animals or if they died because he feed them to the croc
Check the MSNBC article that someone posted. He bashed in some animals with a rock before feeding them to the croc, so yeah, he did actually kill them.

And there's a difference between being interested and scaling a fence to break into a zoo and then feeding some animals to others. Really. You can try to justify it as "kids will be kids" but going by the MSNBC article it's a tad more than that.

John Galt

Dec 29, 2007
I say freedom. He's only seven. He doesn't even know what rational thought is, let alone how to apply it. Odds are, he probably thought he was doing the croc a favor by feeding it. Sure he fed it some of the more expensive animals at the zoo, but you can't ruin a child's life for one mistake like that. If anything, they should try to make the zoo security a bit more effective (if a child can break through, then so can a more disturbed person with actual intent to harm animals) and give the parents the bill (who lets their seven year old out at night?).

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
TheNecroswanson post=18.73123.784695 said:
Jamash post=18.73123.784675 said:
TheNecroswanson post=18.73123.784605 said:
Well, I would definitely have to say the child needs to be removed from society.
It stated in the article that a turtle was one of the animals fed to the crocodile...Alligator?
Even a lion can't kill a turtle. So the kid would have had to perform some pretty gruesome acts to kill a turtle. The only option is to remove him from society until he has proven that he can be a future funtioning member of society.
I'm not quite sure I follow your reasoning. Even a lion can't kill a turtle? But turtles live in the ocean & only really go on land to lay eggs.
As far as I know lions don't inhabit coastal regions, so when would a lion even see a turtle, let alone try to kill one?

Salt-water crocodiles on the other hand, do inhabit the ocean & coastal regions, & turtles
are part of their diet.

The mere act of putting the turtle in the same enclosure as the crocodile was a death sentence. It's similar to not needing to kill a mouse before feeding it to a python.

But nitpicking aside, I agree that the kid should be taking into care until the root of his actions is discovered.
Especially if he's not a psycho, when he realises the gravity of exactly what he's done he's going to need some psychological help.

If he can't see that he's done anything wrong then he should be institutionalised for the rest of his twisted life, so he can escape in 20 years time on Halloween & do it all over again.
AH, see, I was under the impresson that a fully grown turtle wasn't a part of very many creatures diets. Their shell being like stone and what not. The lion comment was because I had recently seeen a National Geographic where this lion is trying to kill and eat a turtle. And ofcourse, it was a hilarious failure.
Do Americans call tortoise turtles? I think I've heard Americans call tortoise turtles before, so this could be where the confusion stems from. Of course there are all different sizes of crocodiles & turtles, but I've edit my original post with a link to show the turtle crushing power of a salt water crocodile.

conquerworm

Nov 26, 2007
TheNecroswanson post=18.73123.784705 said:
Yeah, saying he was "interested" or "curios" is a copout for the facts at hand. Murder isn't an interest, and yes I consider killing an animal murder.
you must be a vegan... Poor you... Also does killing insects count? What separates killing animals from insects?

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Jaythulhu post=18.73123.784256 said:
As I think I've stated b4, I work for the rspca. I see the results of humanity's cruelty towards animals on an almost daily basis, so I have no sympathy or empathy for the perpetrators. Lock them all up and toss out the key. Scum is scum, whether their victims are human or animal.
You have my sympathy and my respect sir - I couldn't do what you do.

As to the child, institutionalise. Determine what's wrong. Put a halt to it now. Let the kid lead the rest of his life as a normal person.

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
Jamash post=18.73123.784711 said:
Do Americans call tortoise turtles? I think I've heard Americans call tortoise turtles before, so this could be where the confusion stems from. Of course there are all different sizes of crocodiles & turtles, but I've edit my original post with a link to show the turtle crushing power of a salt water crocodile.
Yeah, we tend to confuse the two. Same with gators and crocs or toads and frogs.

Turtle - Frog - Aquatic
Tortoise - Toad - Land

The differences between the gators and crocs, besides geography or how large the biggest in the world are, has always been annoying for me to remember.

Crocs - nearly every river/oceanfront with any warmth
Gators - southeastern US

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Airhead post=18.73123.784358 said:
For me this isn't animal cruelty in itself. It's not as if the crocodile eats broccoli, right? Some animals have to die one way or another to keep the croc alive. Law of nature. If someone keeps a big snake as a pet and feeds it mice, is he a criminal? Or if you buy some meat for your dog or cat. Maybe you don't kill an animal yourself nor feed your pet a live one, but death is death.
How 'bout blundgeoning animals to death with rocks?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7649876.stm

-- Alex

conquerworm

Nov 26, 2007
humanity's cruelty towards animals

We Exist, thats cruelty enough... I think it would be great if animals started to act like we do. When we invade their habitat they shoot us. hehehe :p. or in bears case they kill us.

Now Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that torturing animals is wrong, but where the heck are our priorities when animal rights have more push then human rights. Like WTH?

Dec 1, 2007
TheNecroswanson post=18.73123.784627 said:
Oh Western taboos of the flesh.
How I love your hypocrisy.
Care to elaborate?
Well I don't intend to cause offense, it's just somewhat funny that the carving of flesh of animals is perfectly alright for the purpose of extravagance masquerading as requirement (eating meat, which is a hugely more resource-intensive activity then just growing peanuts), yet straight utilization of animals for enjoyment is depraved.

conquerworm

Nov 26, 2007
No. I'm not vegan. And I don't appreciate your condescending tone. And yes, I kill insects. You know what seperates them? The term "vermin". Animals tend to stay away from society if they are accustomed to humans. Vermin will come in regardless. And if there is a 3 inch brown spider in my kitchen, yeah, I kill it. Here in Wasington we have what are called, "hobo" spiders. Their bite can drop a horse. Killing them, is survival. What the boy did, was criminal, at any age.
I am sorry for being condescending. I was trying to point out the hypocrisy in stating that killing animals is murder. Thus eating dead animals is support of murder.

As to killing animals being criminal, I disagree. If he tortured them he should be punished, as discipline helps make clear what is right and wrong. He should be punished for trespassing and whatnot and should be made clear why what he did was wrong but on the topic of killing animals being criminal, that is just wrong. More so when it comes from someone who claims killing animals is murder and yet goes out for meat.