Poll: Lets pretend the government passes a law stating that you can't have a gun anymore...

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
chadachada123 said:
I'll show you one better:

Just as with right-to-carry laws, when law-abiding citizens have guns some criminals stop carrying theirs.
Yeah I almost bought it until I read that line. Somehow that one line makes me seriously doubt the validity of any statistics listed in your citation. You need an impartial source, not one with an agenda to promote, to produce valid research results.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Too much of a Hypothetical. It really depends on the Context of the situation, and your Hypothetical is missing much of the context that would be needed for that. If it's some law that's caused a radical shift in the country and resulted in an amendment to overturn the 2nd amendment then I'd probably comply. Keep in mind that an Amendment requires a Super Majority of the House and Senate, and Three Fourths of the States to pass. That would be a MAJOR change in public opinion, and wouldn't be the United States of today. If it wasn't that then you're talking a Civil War Hypothetical then aren't you? You really want to watch what happens to the world economy when the US goes into Civil War?

The guy on the Colbert Report was just a crazy nutjob CEO who's now being remmed by his "Organic" hippy customers because that's who he markets to. How crazy do you have to be to say some Ultra Conservative Nutjob thing, and market to mostly Ultra Liberal Nutjobs? Talk about Biting the hand that feeds you.

Colbert was also wrong to mock the concept that the 2nd amendment is neutered given the state of today's military. He clearly missed out on how the Civil War went down. Armed Civilians, "The South", took Military bases, and then Upgraded to Military Grade weapons. Civilians don't need an Air Craft Carrier if they can take the Air Force Bases in armed revolt, but they do need to be armed to take the base.

Any law removing all guns without overturning the 2nd amendment in a constitutional way is Un-American and would start a shooting war. Any law past Constitutionally would already have overwhelming support and opposing it would be meaningless.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
GunsmithKitten said:
If it's any consolation, I think I'd be raped and/or attacked anywhere just for being a foreigner and an easy percieved-as-rich American white girl target.
What the shit kitten? Did we not, just last month, have a long thread where multiple people patiently explained that your idea of Australia is WRONG, that your idea of the relevance of your race is WRONG, that your knowledge of the socioeconomic discrepancies between Australia and the US is WRONG, that your perception of how Australia treats foreigners is WRONG, that your idea of gender politics in Australia is WRONG, that your understanding of tourism in Australia is WRONG and that your understanding of US/Australian relations is WRONG?!

I know that you are trying to say that you think it is everywhere and not just Australia, but it is not Australia at all!

I thought that you understood that, I thought that you had recognised the gaps in your knowledge re:the world outside the US, but here you are just parroting the same bloody thing.

GunsmithKitten said:
Katatori-kun said:
Then you have an utterly unrealistic concept of what the world outside the US is like.
Sorry, all I needed was one viewing of Brokedown Palace to dispell those illusions.
I mean jesus, we went over this, movies are not reality!

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
the clockmaker said:
GunsmithKitten said:
If it's any consolation, I think I'd be raped and/or attacked anywhere just for being a foreigner and an easy percieved-as-rich American white girl target.
What the shit kitten? Did we not, just last month, have a long thread where multiple people patiently explained that your idea of Australia is WRONG, that your idea of the relevance of your race is WRONG, that your knowledge of the socioeconomic discrepancies between Australia and the US is WRONG, that your perception of how Australia treats foreigners is WRONG, that your idea of gender politics in Australia is WRONG, that your understanding of tourism in Australia is WRONG and that your understanding of US/Australian relations is WRONG?!

I know that you are trying to say that you think it is everywhere and not just Australia, but it is not Australia at all!

I thought that you understood that, I thought that you had recognised the gaps in your knowledge re:the world outside the US, but here you are just parroting the same bloody thing.
and yet funny enough, apparently the non-americans in these forums think they understand the US ....

(disclaimer: i dont claim to be an expert on australia or any other country outside of the US. The most familiar country other than my own is Canada and that is because i live just a few miles away from them)

that said, Austrailian wildlife still scares the hell out of me. Granted the US has its fair share of dangerous wildlife too, thankfully not where im at though.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Ryotknife said:
the clockmaker said:
GunsmithKitten said:

and yet funny enough, apparently the non-americans in these forums think they understand the US ....
Funnily enough, that is because the US is a news and cultural juggernaut and probably the power center of the world which leads to its influence and knowledge of its current affairs spreading across other nations. Hence, as a very basic example, more Australians will know that Washington DC is the capital of the US than yanks will know that Canberra is the capital of Australia. Similarly, both with large groups of people who do not know that the capital of Timor is Dili.

That not a 'Americans r dum OZZIES r smart' thing, it is just a function of the way that the news and cultural cycle works, I hear about yank news as a matter of course, you hear Aussie news incidentally when it is relevant to something else you wish to hear about. The perfect example of this being the R18 rating.

Also note that I was specifically indicating the proven lack of knowledge that kitten displays Re:eek:ther nations, not yanks in general.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
GunsmithKitten said:
the clockmaker said:
Brokedown Palace was based on a fairly frequent occurance, actually. Not hard to dig up articles aplenty of tourists getting unknowingly used as drug mules. That alone keeps me well and truly behind US lines.
And you know how to solve that specific issue? You put a lock on your goddamn luggage. Besides in 2012 51 million Americans (source:eek:ffice of travel and tourism industries) traveled overseas. Frequent is very sodding relative.

On top of that, you still went back to your false and insulting nations about Australia, my response to which you have conveniently ignored by the way.

And if that wasn't enough, you don't refer to US borders, you refer to US 'lines' as if your nation were under siege by the evil foreigners who want nothing more than to rob people for being american or kidnap white women for their harems.

If you have so little understanding of the world outside your borders, stop trying to discuss the world outside your borders.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
GunsmithKitten said:
the clockmaker said:
Ryotknife said:
the clockmaker said:
GunsmithKitten said:

Funnily enough, that is because the US is a news and cultural juggernaut and probably the power center of the world which leads to its influence and knowledge of its current affairs spreading across other nations. Hence, as a very basic example, more Australians will know that Washington DC is the capital of the US than yanks will know that Canberra is the capital of Australia. Similarly, both with large groups of people who do not know that the capital of Timor is Dili.

That not a 'Americans r dum OZZIES r smart' thing, it is just a function of the way that the news and cultural cycle works, I hear about yank news as a matter of course, you hear Aussie news incidentally when it is relevant to something else you wish to hear about. The perfect example of this being the R18 rating.

Also note that I was specifically indicating the proven lack of knowledge that kitten displays Re:eek:ther nations, not yanks in general.
I'm paranoid, alright? Hellbird is right, I'm medically certifiably paranoid. There. I said it. Feel free to disregard me, wouldn't blame ya if you did.
That is okay, a mental health injury is not a moral failing, I just want you to recognise the gaps in your knowledge and stop parroting the same provably wrong thing. I apologize if my tone has become too hostile, I just become frustrated when people keep shouting things that are very obviously wrong.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
HellbirdIV said:
chadachada123 said:
I'll show you one better:

Just as with right-to-carry laws, when law-abiding citizens have guns some criminals stop carrying theirs.
Yeah I almost bought it until I read that line. Somehow that one line makes me seriously doubt the validity of any statistics listed in your citation. You need an impartial source, not one with an agenda to promote, to produce valid research results.
So because the journalist said something slightly hyperbolic/stupid/opinionated...BOTH of my two sources are suspect?

I agree that that line is pretty stupid (and unsourced, not that it necessarily should be, because it isn't a statement of hard fact, but a generic closer), and if you really feel the need, ignore the entire first link. The second is not only well-sourced and unbiased, but also just as convincing with the wealth of facts provided.

I'll get back to you on the first link's validity.

(Besides, good luck finding an "impartial" source when every major media source has an equivalent agenda AGAINST firearms).

Edit: After following the paper trail, the Chicago statistics are, in fact, a bit suspect, and should be ignored. It has not been long enough or significant enough to make a proper determination of Chicago's effects (which so far appear within normal fluctuation, even though they have gone down). The Washington DC ones, however, ARE significant and have a plethora of evidence to support them.

Link to Chicago PD official statistics:
https://portal.chicagopolice.org/portal/page/portal/ClearPath/News/Statistical%20Reports/Murder%20Reports
(You may have to create an account, which is horseshit, but I digress)

Link to original source, cited by Fox:
http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2011/08/so-what-happened-to-chicagos-murder-and.html
Some parts are fine, but he makes a few jumps that I agree are misleading/exaggerated.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
GunsmithKitten said:
the clockmaker said:
Brokedown Palace was based on a fairly frequent occurance, actually. Not hard to dig up articles aplenty of tourists getting unknowingly used as drug mules. That alone keeps me well and truly behind US lines.
You can always go to Canada. Toronto is pretty nice.

Canadian border operator: what is the purpose of your visit?
You: to spend money
C.B.O: welcome to canada*!

*unless the canadian workers are on strike

Now coming back to the US is a giant pain. If you want to visit Niagara Falls though, stay the F away from the american side.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I hope the 117 people saying they would kill the person who came to take their guns are people who this poll doesn't apply to just taking the piss because if even one of those is legitimate it's worrying to me, people like that should never be allowed guns in the first place because they're clearly unhinged.

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
Ickorus said:
I hope the 117 people saying they would kill the person who came to take their guns are people who this poll doesn't apply to just taking the piss because if even one of those is legitimate it's worrying to me, people like that should never be allowed guns in the first place because they're clearly unhinged.
Somebody is late to the party! Welcome, welcome! Bother to read the entire thread before opening your gob next time!

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
TornadoADV said:
Ickorus said:
Somebody is late to the party! Welcome, welcome! Bother to read the entire threat before opening your gob next time!
Yes, I'm going to read 20 pages of a thread before commenting, you have such realistic expectations.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
I chose other, since I wouldn't have a real problem with the idea, but I would like to at least be compensated, seeing as how guns aren't exactly cheap. If not, I'd *****, but I'd get over it.

And on a side note, yes, please, kill the person who comes to take your guns away, that'll show the world how responsible and sane you are. Surprise, YOU ARE THE KIND OF PEOPLE WHO SHOULDN'T HAVE GUNS.

EDIT- Before someone tells me I'm late to the party, just....just don't. It's worth noting that I open a page, go do something else, then get around to responding. Also, seriously, 20 pages of comments? Come on now.

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
Jesus, you people are lazy, come in, give your unwanted opinion that has been soundly defeated for going on 10 pages and then act all indignant when you get called out on the carpet. Typical internet filth behaviour.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
TornadoADV said:
Jesus, you people are lazy, come in, give your unwanted opinion that has been soundly defeated for going on 10 pages and then act all indignant when you get called out on the carpet. Typical internet filth behaviour.
It's a poll, a thread literally ASKING for people's opinions. Get over it.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
the clockmaker said:
GunsmithKitten said:
And you know how to solve that specific issue? You put a lock on your goddamn luggage.
Pack your own bags, secure your luggage.

It's one of the most basic and important rules of international travel... which is probably why there are signs saying as much in most international airports.