Poll: Let's settle something right now, can you defend yourself with a gun?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
There's been this discussion in the Religion and Politics section of the forum and it concerns this. Can you use a gun to defend yourself? At least one person claimed it's a myth and that it never happens.

My take on it? Yeah you can, to take it a bit further you can also defend your home with one. The person I argued with said it never ever happens, he also said that if someone breaks into your home that you can't shoot them. Where I live if someone breaks into your house that is your castle and they just breached the walls so you can defend your property.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I can't. I've made it a point never to touch a gun. The closest I've come is when a toy gun that could be very convincing when it's dark was confiscated from one of the residents at the apartment complex where I work. I had to move the thing off my desk but I never touched it with my bare hands, I grabbed a towel to move the thing.

Then again I'm not American.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Yes, in much the same way that you can defend yourself with a table. That doesn't mean that the table is a defensive item, and more than the gun is. There is no other purpose to a gun but to kill.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
Yes, in much the same way that you can defend yourself with a table. That doesn't mean that the table is a defensive item, and more than the gun is. There is no other purpose to a gun but to kill.
You can get someone to back off just by pointing it at them or you can wound them. If I remember right GunsmithKitten didn't need to shoot the guy, she just pointed it at him.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I really don't try to argue with people that deeply involved with the bliss of ignorance. There isn't much point. They will never learn, and you have better things to do.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Can you please define your question a bit more clearly?

I can't tell exactly what you're asking. When you say "can you", do you mean...

a) Do I personally have the ability to use a gun in self defence? (Kinda. I have some training, but I haven't handled a gun for years. I'd need a refresher.)
b) Is a gun a viable self defence weapon? (Yes, obviously. Although not quite to the degree that a lot of people think.)
c) Are you legally in the right if you defend yourself with a gun? (No idea. It would vary between countries and states anyway.)

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
I've never had to defend myself, but I know that I could if the need arose, without a doubt. And it's perfectly legal to shoot an armed intruder on your property. I have a friend that uses the following 'protection method' in his home with his shotgun.

First shell is a blank (most intruders will flee if they believe they're up against another weapon.)

Second shell is rock salt (This'll put a criminal down, but likely won't kill him.)

The rest are lethal. There is a extremely slim chance you would even need to get this far, but if a criminal won't run from a blank and if you miss the target with rock salt, the last resort will do the job.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Zhukov said:
Can you please define your question a bit more clearly?

I can't tell exactly what you're asking. When you say "can you", do you mean...

a) Do I personally have the ability to use a gun in self defence? (Kinda. I have some training, but I haven't handled a gun for years. I'd need a refresher.)
b) Is a gun a viable self defence weapon? (Yes, obviously. Although not quite to the degree that a lot of people think.)
c) Are you legally in the right if you defend yourself with a gun? (No idea. It would vary between countries and states anyway.)
Round of applause for Zhukov, please!

SanAndreasSmoke said:
I

First shell is a blank (most intruders will flee if they believe they're up against another weapon.)

Second shell is rock salt (This'll put a criminal down, but likely won't kill him.)

The rest are lethal. There is a extremely slim chance you would even need to get this far, but if a criminal won't run from a blank and if you miss the target with rock salt, the last resort will do the job.
I...actually quite like this kind of an arrangement. Bit of a three strike rule right there.

And now for a reply for everyone:

But, as for the topic at hand, well, over here, if you can retreat safely from the danger, you have a duty to do so. Escalating the situation when you could have removed yourself from it safely will get you in trouble. But, as I said before, over here the police actually are legally obligated to "protect" as well - it sucks for the Americans that that's not the case over there, but it's easier to tot guns around than it is to push for change in the legislation I suppose.

But seriously, my personal opinion? Running into the situation guns blazing is a stupid thing to do. Especially if you don't know anything about the folks trespassing. There could be more than one, for instance. That'd be bad for you. Yes, I'm sure there's a story out there how one person sent more than one perp off with a firearm, and I'll call it right now: anecdote. Don't even bother linking, because you know if I linked just one story that's along the lines of my point, you'd be calling me out on it.

So using a firearm is a last resort thing, not the first. First would be getting yourself out of danger.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I've used a gun to defend myself before, but it was more due to intimidation than anything. It doesn't matter how big or strong you are when you're at gunpoint: one trigger pull and you're dead. Anyone with enough brains will fuck off if you so much as point a gun at them, and those who don't are either stupid or crazy. Of course, with that power comes responsibility, and unfortunately some just don't understand that.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
In general, I'd imagine yes. You could use it to shoot the uh, criminal or bluff them into thinking you'll shoot them and maybe scare them off.

Personally, No. I've never handled a gun and have no real interest in actually owning or firing a gun. Nothin' against them, they're fine and dandy, do their job well; I just don't want one.

Jan 29, 2009
Yes.
Department of justice estimated in 1994 that it happens roughly 1.50 million times per year in the United States.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_gun_use
You don't tend to hear about them, however, as the Media basically only reports conflicts involving fatalities, while the vast majority of defense is simply brandishing to scare away the attacker. Such flees have a tendency to not be reported even to the authorities since not much can be done about it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't know, I've never used a real gun. Like most people out there I imagine I would be able to use one, given the circumstances, but who knows?

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
There's been this discussion in the Religion and Politics section of the forum and it concerns this. Can you use a gun to defend yourself? At least one person claimed it's a myth and that it never happens.

My take on it? Yeah you can, to take it a bit further you can also defend your home with one. The person I argued with said it never ever happens, he also said that if someone breaks into your home that you can't shoot them. Where I live if someone breaks into your house that is your castle and they just breached the walls so you can defend your property.
I would argue you can't, take the layout of your home and where you spend most of your time. Now, think of somebody breaking into your house.

How long does it take you to get your gun? Do you have run to your gun cabinet, unlock it, load the gun, aim it then shoot it or do you keep it next to your mouse ready to go? Remember they have the element of surprise and are ready to shoot you, you're just reacting.

Now on the street, walking home somebody wants to mug you. Do you think know they are going to announce there intentions or drag you into an alley/suckerpunch you and the rob you? At what point do you pull your gun, as they run off with your shit? As they beat you up? As they pin you against a wall?

I just think it's more of a deterrent than effective defensive weapon.

Anyway, a gun isn't a defensive thing, it's a counter aggressive. Body armour is defensive, maybe Mace.

(how many civvies can actually stand getting blasted in the face with Mace? We are crippled by shampoo for fuck sake)

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I had to laugh when I saw the thread title, my first thought someone has been wasting time talking to blahblah again.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
an annoyed writer said:
I've used a gun to defend myself before, but it was more due to intimidation than anything. It doesn't matter how big or strong you are when you're at gunpoint: one trigger pull and you're dead. Anyone with enough brains will fuck off if you so much as point a gun at them, and those who don't are either stupid or crazy. Of course, with that power comes responsibility, and unfortunately some just don't understand that.
Very similar to my story, but I didn't even point it at the individuals in question. Just pulling it out
and chambering a round was enough.
One of my best friends frightened off multiple assailants by firing his gun in the air.
Another friend of mine had to use a rifle to kill a dog that had been killing his livestock and was advancing on him
threateningly.

Look, let me be clear on something. I *don't* *like* guns. Seriously.
But I can acknowledge their usefulness in certain situations.
Situations that I would rather nobody had to face, but the world we live in is *far* from perfect.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Xan Krieger said:

Your question is actually more ambiguous than I thought.

I came in thinking the question was "are you capable?" Then your post implies the question of "is it legal in your area?" but never outright denies the possibility of the other as well.

My answer is yes to both, but there may be others who are more confused, and answer the wrong question.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Spade Lead said:
Xan Krieger said:

Your question is actually more ambiguous than I thought.

I came in thinking the question was "are you capable?" Then your post implies the question of "is it legal in your area?" but never outright denies the possibility of the other as well.

My answer is yes to both, but there may be others who are more confused, and answer the wrong question.
Sorry I didn't think it through, I was just so bugged from my constant fights with someone else on this site that I wasn't thinking clearly when I posted it. You do make a good point though, it is a two part question. Personally if I had a gun I feel I absolutely could and it's perfectly legal here in North Carolina.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Sorry I didn't think it through, I was just so bugged from my constant fights with someone else on this site that I wasn't thinking clearly when I posted it. You do make a good point though, it is a two part question. Personally if I had a gun I feel I absolutely could and it's perfectly legal here in North Carolina.
No, I think it makes a better discussion to include both, so I have no problem with it.

I have military training, and I was trained out to fifteen yards with a pistol, and I shot better when I had a short time limit than when they wanted me to take my time. (there were two rounds of six shots, one I had to lower the gun to the resting position between shots, and had fifteen seconds total, the other was six seconds to make six shots. I hit way more effectively during the second round with six seconds than I did in the first round, with fifteen.)

Iowa also has the "If you invade, you are at fault" rule for shootings, and having two daughters (one is a stepdaughter) and a stepson, as well as an epileptic girlfriend, having a main line of defense that isn't RUN AWAY is important to me. I don't have time to carry an 8 month old, a 4 year old, and a 6 year old to safety, and help my girlfriend who may or may not even know what is going on or who I am to safety when someone breaks in.