Poll: Libya and my mother

dslatch

Apr 15, 2009
I'm in Canada and i saw the Canadian Pilots practicing in CFB Petawawa they'll do good.

If anything the no fly zone should have been instituted the moment that crazy prick decided to start bombing the rebels. And at this point no matter what happens Muammar Gaddafi will be at least arrested for crimes against humanity, if not executed. I have a brother and cousins in the armed forces saying that their bases they are stationed at are on high alert. That at any moment they could be sent to Libya (or Japan). They are saying that they would like to go and would be proud to help the rebels in taking down that countries current government. Plus the people have asked for assistance and where begging to have the fly zone instituted, and I believe that it was instituted way to late . Now that Gaddafi sees that we really would get involved there is now a snowballs chance in hell that he may step down and no matter what your opinion: This WILL end all this crap earlier AND with less blood shed. Plus if we had waited to long Libya would become the next Iraq or Afghanistan depending on who won. If the rebels won out they would have been sour because they received no help from west and would blame us for how long it took and how bloody it was. If Gaddafi won the next Iraq, people would have been to shattered to continue fighting.

To put it short More needs to be done to help these people more ships, planes and for peace keeping some troops on the ground. but the big thing no matter what happens is we have to let these people decide what should be done with Gaddafi that way he will get what he deserves.

*IMPORTANT* THIS ISN'T ABOUT OIL THEY ONLY OWN 2% OF THE WORLDS SUPPLY. Canada produces 3.56% of the worlds supply and the U.S makes <3% (according to a 2007 study )that means Libya doesn't have shit in the amount of oil. Hell the only reason prices are up is because the oil companies think this is a good opportunity to raise prices. If you think about it the oil companies can raise and lower prices to what ever they want because THEY own it, they aren't the evil faceless pricks everyone paints them as (not all of them anyway), this is my opinion and was not influenced by any one else.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
No, the US absolutely should not have anything to do with this civil war. Yes, Ghadafi needs to die, and his people need help, but any help from the US will ultimately be resented. I feel the UN excluding the US should help in as limited a way as possible (i.e. maintaining a no-fly zone but not doing any actual bombing of ground targets). But no, the US should keep our fucking noses out of it, because in the end we'll be hated for whatever we do.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
CCountZero said:
It all comes down to us wanting to dictate our ways unto others.
I don't disagree that we should.

There is no universal right or truth that allows us to interfere. We just do it anyway, because we can, and that's important to remember.
I'm sorry, what? Are you saying that if genocide is occurring in a country the rest of the world should just turn a blind eye?
As the bolded snippet of my previous post suggests; most certainly not.

I'm simply stating that asking: "Is it right?", as the OP does, is a null question.

There is no universal "right" or "wrong".

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Trebort said:
We should let the Muslims kill each other off.

They have a problem with democracy, it's not for us to force it on them.

Why should Britain or anyone else put their citizens at risk to save a no hope country like Libya? We are not world police, let them kill each other off.

Move to renewable energy. Wind, solar and hydro power, break our addiction to oil and let the Middle Eastern and North African nations destroy each other, then when they are all dead or dying, we can annex their lands and take whatever resources are left.
While I can see where you're coming from, you're forgetting one very important part:

Multiple Muslim countries have Nukes, and they're worse than Russia at locking them up properly.

International politics is a fair bit more complex than "Let them kill each other off".

Jan 27, 2011
I think intervening in Libya isn't a bad idea (clearly, Gadaffi is insane. He's slaughtering his own people with friggin FIGHTER JETS), but I do NOT want the US to police the world.

I do not trust the US to be able to handle that kind of responsibility.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
If the morals weren't as questionable as they are, then probably yes, though it seems annoying how the UN and America has to feel the need to attempt to solve everyone's problems, especially when they could just be going for the oil and not really care about the situation.

Trebort

Duke of Cheesecake
Feb 25, 2010
CCountZero said:
Trebort said:
We should let the Muslims kill each other off.

They have a problem with democracy, it's not for us to force it on them.

Why should Britain or anyone else put their citizens at risk to save a no hope country like Libya? We are not world police, let them kill each other off.

Move to renewable energy. Wind, solar and hydro power, break our addiction to oil and let the Middle Eastern and North African nations destroy each other, then when they are all dead or dying, we can annex their lands and take whatever resources are left.
While I can see where you're coming from, you're forgetting one very important part:

Multiple Muslim countries have Nukes, and they're worse than Russia at locking them up properly.

International politics is a fair bit more complex than "Let them kill each other off".
Pakistan is the only country in the Middle East with Nuclear Warheads. We should nuke them, and then let the Middle East and North Africa kill each other off. Happy?

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
For as far as we're doing it right now, I think we're probably doing a good job. The main problem is that you cannot 'force' a country into a democracy without making some economical changes first - and we wouldn't be able to make those without suffering under them ourselves. Long story short; this is why 'Iraq' isn't going to work.

On the other hand, I don't think there's a lot wrong with just getting rid of a horrible dictator like Khaddafi. While there's a big chance his place will simply be taken over by a new dictator, there's also the chance that that dictator is actually a pretty good fellow who takes care of his country. All of this is indubitably better than just letting an oppressor 'do his thing'.

So TL;DR: yes, getting rid of Khaddafi is a good thing, as long as we don't turn this into another Iraq where we get stranded trying to enforce something through all the wrong means. We need to get rid of him, and then gtfo and let the Libian citizens decide what's best for them, even if this means another (bad) dictator.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Well it's not just America, it's just mostly America. Canada, my country, has sent some fighters too, and yes I think the mission is justified. Wise though? perhaps not.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
If you asked me in 2003, I would have said BOMB EM! BOMB EM ALL! INVAAAAAADE

Now I know how much various endless wars cost. We're broke. Let the EU sort it out for a change.

Feb 19, 2010
this will sort everything out:
then again, i think NATO laws ristrict russia from policing the world? can somoine re-inform me? im getting rusty on cold war history.
anyway, this:

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=spetznaz&order=9&offset=24&offset=24#/d2h7mg1

just send these boys in :p

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
No one should police the globe, our view of things should not be forced on others, people need to learn to live their own way.
No country has found a perfect system which people can live by so don't try to push your dumb ideas on others with warmongering.