Poll: Limited and Collectors Editions of Games

ThePizzaGuy556

Aug 26, 2009
Recently my friend let me borrow fable 3. he also had bought the limited edition of it, and i realized . I've never bought any collectors edition for any game ever. And all i could think about for the first day was how cool the extra stuff and case was for it. Im wondering if anyone on the escapist buys collectors editions and why?

Dec 14, 2009
I always buy the limited edition games for franchises I like. I bought the CE for both Fallout NV and Fable 3 and I am usually disappointed. I'm a sucker for shiny things though, so I'll keep making the mistake.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
loc978 said:
...I've actually used my Vault-tec lunchbox to hold my lunch...
Me too! No1 got the reference at my work though. Troglodytes.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
I don't see the point really, I just buy games to play not to look at the interesting case art.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm too busy downloading games on Steam to worry about trinkets and other "collector's" junk. I just set it and forget it when it goes live, go to sleep or to school or to work, then come back to wonderful gamey goodness.

Piction Froject

Nov 11, 2010
I only have a SE game and that is for Gears of War 2. But I do want the Collector's Edition for Assassin's Creed Brother hood it looks worthwhile.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
I'd only get CE of big epic games like a GT5 where they give you so much stuff it's worth the extra money. If it's just a metal case and a 5 page coloring book for a extra 40 then fck that.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
If i have the money, then yea.
I love the collectibles like Figures, Art Books, and Behind the scenes stuff.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I like it when there's some kind of cool swag with it.

Atlus is pretty much KING when it comes to this.
Their Special/Collector's Editions tend to some some rather neat stuff that a fan of the game would want.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
I got the Limited Edition Goldeneye 007 for the Wii. Twas an awesome buy. So sometimes..for me. Plus the codes and the Golden controller was a nice touch.
Plus my friend at work was nice enough to give me another Golden Pro when my copy stopped working for some reason. So I have two Golden Pro Controllers :)

And I got the Halo Reach Limited Edition...Yes. I am a Halo Fanboy and damn proud

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Sadly CE's are the only way to get what was once standart if you bought a game.
You other elder ones here, you remember, Boxes, filled with CDs, Posters,Maps, a printed Manual containg everything needed. Yes younglings, once that was standart for good games.

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
I always question the title, "Collector's Edition." Really? I mean, are there collectors out there who are spending huge bucks on a game version that was released in the millions? Or, how about "Limited Edition?" How limited are they? Are there only about 1000 made for millions of gamers to pick up?

The things about collections is that people want things that are rare and have value. In the gaming market, what I'm seeing are just sales gimmicks. I don't waste my money on something that someone is claiming is a "collector's edition" or a "limited edition." Who can honestly say what will be collected twenty, fifty, or one hundred years from now? Certainly not the game developers.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I like awesome loot when given the opportunity and if it's reasonably priced. I don't mind paying 10-20 bucks more to get the sound track, a nifty art book, maybe a poster, action figure, ect... It's especially great purchasing them when it's a really great game as I show support for the companies great job and in return they are saying "thank you" in advance.

Lately I've been loving XSEED and their premium editions I've gotten in the past few months. Ys Seven came with a 60 page art book, 30 song sound track, and a friggen cloth map!! You hardly see world maps any more!

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
The only Collector's Edition that I have bought in years was the SC2 one, and I just bought that because gamestop had some silly preorder + coupon code + beta key (which I sold to a friend) and overall that put me under the cost of the regular edition.
But other than that I've only bought collector's editions for profits, ie every WoW expansion buy a couple of collector's editions, hold for a few months turn around for double or triple the cost (and before someone jumps on my back, it is the main way I fund my gaming habit, it's not like I'm making boatloads of money, all of it gets cycled back into games.)
To be honest, most of it isn't really worth it, a lot of them are just plastic junk, and things like the music, odds are you'll find it on iTunes for cheap, and extra footage and behind the scenes, you end up watching once and never again.
You see things like a kid making functioning assassin blades for like $20 from his local hardware store, you'd think someone like Ubisoft (or whoever owns Assassin's Creed) would go hey, we could make the same thing for pennies and just add a fake plastic blade, this would sell for tons of money, and thus make something actually worth buying.