Poll: LOL and OMG are now words?

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Well then a lot of "words" need to come out of the dictionary such as "fubar" (fucked up beyond all recognition) and "snafu" (situation normal all fucked up)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Exterminas said:
It keeps amazing me how little people understand about the way languages comes to be.

Here in Germany this is especially funny: German is an amalgation of ancient german languages, Latin, a dash of french and some english from around the world wars.

Now with the internet more and more english starts to leak into our language and people complain that it "taints" the german language. What's there to taint?

Your given example is even better, because these words aren't even from other languages, they are just shorter forms of well known phrases that become own words.

Like CIA. FBI. "The president". "The congress"
Amen, mein Landsmann.
Right now I'm surrounded by more-or-less open minds at university, but God help me once I start working at school and dare to teach kids anything language-related that's outside the severely calcified guidelines - I'll have outraged parents yelling at me left and right.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Slang and Acronyms are allowed in the dictionary so LOL and OMG shouldn't be a problem.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
bobby1361 said:
LOL (lol) and OMG (omg) have both been put into the Oxford English Dictionary.
I think this is sad news and they should have been kept to the internet, you can't even say lol when smiling or laughing, so it's it's effectively...pointless, unless you use it like a slow clap, as mentioned in the article.
What are your opinions on this?

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12893416
I'm pretty sure I can say "lol" whilst smiling, can't anyone else?

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Hey, it's in common use, so it's a word. Everybody calm the fuck down. It's not as if a new word will destroy humanity, Shakespeare made up 30,000. So stop whining.

Xelt

May 11, 2008
JoJoDeathunter said:
bobby1361 said:
LOL (lol) and OMG (omg) have both been put into the Oxford English Dictionary.
I think this is sad news and they should have been kept to the internet, you can't even say lol when smiling or laughing, so it's it's effectively...pointless, unless you use it like a slow clap, as mentioned in the article.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12893416
I'm pretty sure I can say "lol" whilst smiling, can't anyone else?
Well, fair enough but to me it seems to awkward to be viable. And just think, someone makes you laugh in person, then you laugh, you wouldn't just smile and say lol, or, most people wouldn't.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
bobby1361 said:
Congratulations, you've just discovered that language evolves over time.

Take a read through any book written in English that's over a thousand years old, and that hasn't been translated into modern English (i.e the Bible doesn't count). Good luck understanding anything in it.

Faeriian

Oct 5, 2009
...those arent acronyms LOL and OMG is initialism or abbreviation, acronyms must form words from each first letter of other words. grammar nazi, away!

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
The only people who say "LOL" and "OMG" on the intronet are the ones who need to be rounded up and beaten.
The only "people" who say "LOL" and "OMG" in real life are the ones who need to be rounded up and shot.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
It's right to put the words in the dictionary if they are being used extensively by the speakers of the language. I think it's just wrong that these abbrevations have become so commonplace though.
Few things annoy me as much as people saying "lol" in real life. Only the people who actually draw <3-hearts in real life are worse.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I like how the BBC basically called people noobs:3

edit: I wonder how many people read the article to see the explanation of why they are in the dictionary.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I don't use omg much but I do use lol.

I use lol in text to indicate tone or humour and I'll say it in real life as a heavily forced sarcastic response...

Who figured the word would have so many common uses. It definitely deserves to be I'n the dictionary having been around for over a decade and seeing it's use spread to all age generations and publications...

The Weaver

Nov 14, 2010
Language evolves, verbs become nouns and slang becomes common speech, but having an acronym become a word doesn?t seem quite right?.

Wonder if in a few years we will be talking like Mortuus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEWgs6YQR9A

God help us all!