Poll: Looks like Skyrim has some competition for GOTY

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
Despite the game not being out for another 9 days, at least in America anyway, lots of reviews for Skyward Sword have started popping up on the internet. And what is probably no surprise to anyone who's been following this game, the reviews have been simply amazing. Even the review here on the Escapist has shown how great this game is. I'm trying hard myself to reserve judgement until the game comes out and I play it for myself, but from everything I've seen it looks like Skyrim is gonna have a run for it's money once Skyward Sword comes out.

So my question for all of you is this: Do you think Skyward Sword will be able to take out Skyrim as GOTY for people, or will Skyrim reign unchallenged for GOTY? Or do you think a different game will take up the mantle as GOTY for the majority of people, such as Arkham City, Dark Souls, or one of the many other great games that have come out this year?

Source for review scores-http://www.computerandvideogames.com/325789/zelda-skyward-sword-review-round-up/

Edit: In case any of this was confusing or worded weird for you guys, I am asking what is your personal GOTY, not what you think will win the awards that different places give out. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and I appreciate any discussion value you bring to the topic. Cheers!

Also why do the forums enjoy eating my polls so much? I have yet to post a poll successfully...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
You know what's awesome about being me? Sometimes I can just quote myself in threads and it works out perfectly. Observe, from this thread yesterday:

Amnestic said:
Skyrim will be some people's GOTY. It will not be other people's GOTY. In the future, Bethesda will release a Skyrim GOTY Edition with all the DLC/expansions alongside it. Water is wet, and I look good in a suit.

All these facts and more can be found at www.Idon'tactuallyhaveawebsitefilledwithmyawesomefacts.com
To elaborate further, GOTY is a pretty much useless award since it's not a real award. It's just some guy/organisation saying "Yeah, we liked this game the most this year." As I said further in the thread...

Amnestic said:
I think every game ever released should be given a GOTY title. Maybe then we can talk about the merits of the game itself rather than the awards it gets.
Man, quoting myself is awesome. It's like mental masturbation.

Why do people still care about GOTY anyway?

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
i'd like to see skyward sword win, just because I haven't really seen anything from Nintendo that has literally blown me away in a really long time. it would be cool to have that zelda magic back.
ohbaby

oh, and i'm also not a big fan of the elder scrolls. i tried getting into oblivion, but the bow mechanics were weak and the whole game just seemed a little dated to me. skyrim could change my mind, but i'm not willing to drop 60 bucks just to find out

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
Skyrim has got a lot of competition for game of the year. While I'm left doubting Arkam City will take that title in spite of improving upon Arkam Asylum, Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Saints Row the Third, Assassin's Creed Revelations and Dragon Age II are all still viable, and I'm more than likely missing some names. Hell unless Skyrim utterly blows my mind I'm just pegging Uncharted 3 for some pretty damn awesome sequences which I won't got into detail on for fear of spoilers.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
(Note: this isn't directed towards you, OP. But there are those people)
Instead of whining about how X game is soooo much deserving than Y or raging at the very thought of certain games being so highly regarded, why not just feel gratitude that we're seeing so many high quality games geared towards nearly every kind of gamer right now?

Game of the Year is a subjective thing. While I do like the discussion when it brings to light some lesser-known games that people may end up trying because they heard it was fantastic, there really is no single Game of the Year. There is only your Game of the Year.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Zelda hands down for me
but I am a Zelda fanboy and not looking for a cure :)
still Skyrim should win on some other categories

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
Amnestic said:
You know what's awesome about being me? Sometimes I can just quote myself in threads and it works out perfectly. Observe, from this thread yesterday:

Amnestic said:
Skyrim will be some people's GOTY. It will not be other people's GOTY. In the future, Bethesda will release a Skyrim GOTY Edition with all the DLC/expansions alongside it. Water is wet, and I look good in a suit.

All these facts and more can be found at www.Idon'tactuallyhaveawebsitefilledwithmyawesomefacts.com
To elaborate further, GOTY is a pretty much useless award since it's not a real award. It's just some guy/organisation saying "Yeah, we liked this game the most this year." As I said further in the thread...

Amnestic said:
I think every game ever released should be given a GOTY title. Maybe then we can talk about the merits of the game itself rather than the awards it gets.

While I do agree that the "official awards", if you can even call them that, are pretty useless. However, I do believe that having a personal GOTY is something important. It's your way of saying that out of all the games that came out this year that you played, this one is the best in your opinion. That's more of what I was trying to get at, but I guess I worded it a bit weird so I apologize for that.

So I guess you could say I'm not really asking what game "the officials" will say is GOTY, but what game you yourself think is the best to come out. If GOTY were only a personal thing, then I think we'd be able to talk about the merits of the game itself like you want since all GOTY titles would be from personal opinion.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
DustyDrB said:
(Note: this isn't directed towards you, OP. But there are those people)
Instead of whining about how X game is soooo much deserving than Y or raging at the very thought of certain games being so highly regarded, why not just feel gratitude that we're seeing so many high quality games geared towards nearly every kind of gamer right now?

Game of the Year is a subjective thing. While I do like the discussion when it brings to light some lesser-known games that people may end up trying because they heard it was fantastic, there really is no single Game of the Year. There is only your Game of the Year.
I agree with you. If anything, I actually wanted discussions on what people's personal GOTY is going to be rather than what organization A says compared to organization B. I am glad that there are so many awesome games came out/are coming out this year, an opinion I'm sure many people on this website share.

I guess you could say I wanted to hear what the majority of people's personal opinions are.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Does anyone here have no long term memory? Portal 2 got a 95 too, yet everyone overlooks it.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/portal-2

Oh, and my real thoughts on the matter are pretty much summed up by:

Amnestic said:

Amnestic said:

Amnestic said:

Rotating Bread

Jul 22, 2008
Have I missed something? Is there some powerful sinister organisation that awards the game of the year award at an award ceremony like the oscars?

As far as I can see every games website and their mum has it's own GOTY award which means there'll be loads of GOTY awards spread around maybe as many as a dozen games.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Jesus Christ... when was it declared law that Skyrim must be the main contender for Game Of The Year? I know the fans have been hyping and hyping this thing for months now, but c'mon. There's a huge number of great games that have been released this year, any one of which would be deserving of the GOTY award. Can people just stop assuming that if it's the Elder Scrolls it must mean it's automatically better than everything else? Believe it or not, quite a few of us found Morrowind and Oblivion to be hideously overrated.
Well I picked Skyrim for "main contender" for three main reasons: 1) The reviews for it have been pretty much stellar across the board. 2) Many people seem keen to already name it GOTY. 3) It seems like whenever Bethesda releases a new RPG it gets GOTY.

I actually do agree with you though: I was never a fan of Oblivion and could only somewhat get into Morrowind. I mainly want people discussing what they think will be GOTY, and Skyrim was in the title cause I had a feeling most people would be saying that as their answer.

Rotating Bread said:
Have I missed something? Is there some powerful sinister organisation that awards the game of the year award at an award ceremony like the oscars?

As far as I can see every games website and their mum has it's own GOTY award which means there'll be loads of GOTY awards spread around maybe as many as a dozen games.
That's why I'm not looking for "official" GOTY, but personal GOTY. I could give a rat's ass how many "official" awards something gets for GOTY, cause at the end of the day what matters is whether you think it's your GOTY or not. I apologize if that wasn't clear in my post as well.

Bobic said:
Does anyone here have no long term memory? Portal 2 got a 95 too, yet everyone overlooks it.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/portal-2
Oh don't worry, I haven't forgotten Portal 2. That game is hilarious, and in all honesty one of few puzzle based games that I can really get into. I think what has happened though is that so many good games have been coming out that people forget games that came out earlier in the year.

After all, Pokemon Black and White got stellar reviews across the board as well but no one even remembers that that came out this year at all.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Without having played either yet, and looking forward to both, i'd say skyrim has the bette rchance of the two, despite never having played TES before, and loving TLZ since OOT.
Beeing multiplatform gives it a clear advantage if it's gauged by public polls.

Then again, given the nature of the games, i'd think they each appealed to a much narrower crowd than say BF3 or MW3
But the real question regarding this is, if all the extra people playing shooters but not much else bothers to go on gameing websites to vote, negating their advantage of larger userbase.
Just like i'd be supprised to see FIFA or Madden win GOTY, i'd be supprised to find out that as big a percentage of COD players spend time on gameing forums as RPG players.

Disclaimer: i'm not trying to bash on shooter fans here, i love some FPS myself, be it COD, BF, TF etc, just stating that there are way more people playing those games, including people who otherwise don't game a lot.

GotMalkAvian

Feb 4, 2009
I hate to be "that guy," but I think a lot of hype for Skyward Sword is based on it being the first genuinely new Zelda game designed for the Wii. I mean, Twilight Princess was also available on GameCube, and

I'm sure it'll be a solid game, but I think it's too early to honestly tell what game deserves game of the year. After all- and I doubt it would win- Saints Row 3 looks set to put up a good fight as a contender, as well, and let's not forget about Assassin's Creed: Revelations.