Poll: Mage, Thief or Warrior?

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Thieves all the way. Stealth is challenging, but so much more fun and rewarding once you get the hang of it.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
SlumlordThanatos said:
If I do want to play a sneaky archer character, I just go and get the Dawnguard crossbow and upgrade it fully.

Never saw the appeal of summoned weapons.
Summoned Weapons can be ok. Somewhat troubling when they time out in the middle of combat, but there typically are ways of extending the duration depending on which TES game. Related to both this and my previous comment, one time I was really using summoned weapons was a Pure Mage run I was doing in Oblivion. Started off working on all magic types, thinking total archmage/master of magic type, right? After a few days on/off playing I realized I was primarily using Chameleon spells and a Summoned Bow and was like, "DAMMIT!!! NOT AGAIN!"

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
As others have said, it kind of depends on the mechanics. But in general, if given the option, I'm going to go sneaky, at least for my first playthrough.

Though depending on my mood, and the character concept I have in mind, I might make one of the others. I remember the first time I played a warrior in Skyrim, how fun it was to just not give two fucks about dungeons. I'd walk in, a proud Son of Talos, and Fus Ro Dah upon entering the dungeon, declaring my presence to any who would stand against me. I'd smash the groups of enemies that would show up to investigate the sound I made, which would clear out a few rooms worth of threat. Then I'd casually wander deeper, shout again to wake up the next group, and stomp them. Made dungeons very quick compared to stealthing the whole thing. xD

But I still prefer stealth, and avoidance when it comes to conflicts. I like the satisfaction I get from getting in, doing what I came to do, and getting out, all without anyone being the wiser.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
The warrior class is incredibly easy to make dull, only offering attack power and armor/health upgrades while slapping some new gear on there, yawn-worthy.
And yet, the Soul's series made me love it, being a pure fighter in there was thrilling and exhilarating, turns out, each class is only as fun as the mechanics it is offered.

But yeah, fighter all the way, something about fighting fantastical opponents with conventional weaponry really appeals to me, especially when the power imbalance is something the game makes you consider.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Eh, I usually pick more niche classes, such as alchemist or ranger.

Alchemist, running around on doping and tossing potions everywhere.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I mostly play Rogues, even hack&slash RPGs are offering cool evasion/dodge/ranged kite builds to have fun with nowdays.

I guess Clerics fall into the Warrior category, but whenever I pick up a D&D based game and take it for a casual spin I just buff and wreck face. Or Paladin with the Inquisitor kit in BG TUTU, dispelling mirror images and curbstomping vanila BG content all day long.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Mage. They appeal to me because they tend to be physically weak (like me), but intelligent (like I see myself), and have devastating power.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I generally go for ranged characters, so Mages and Thieves (Archers), generally fit well within that category. Whilst it can sometimes be fun to run in and just bash things to death, it often leaves you knee-deep in trouble, and you end up taking a lot more damage than you normally would.

Mages can be really fun, though, especially in tabletop RPGs where you can really get creative, and a lot of spells end up being AoE, or DoTs, which can really work well in videogames. Even then, in a game like Dragon Age Inquisition, as much as the game gets a bad reputation, you can at least be a jedi as a mage, which is quite an interesting turn for the traditional character role, and you charge headfirst into battle and start slicing things.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Mages are clearly the best. Able to throw mass destruction at higher levels, general utility spells that make the party love you (Magelight, Teleport, Comprehend Languages, etc.), large variety of roleplaying options, you can still be useful if your equipment is taken from you, and you get to wear all sorts of colorful outfits instead of regular plate armor or leather.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Warrior, because stealth has never been fully functional in games and magic is too clunky and slow to be combat effective.
Besides which you can run out of ammo or magic mana, but you can't run out of axe swings.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Of the primary 3? Warrior. If we allow secondary classes, I would go battlemage.

Oct 2, 2012
I'm a big man that likes to get angry and smash things.
In vidya I like playing big men or women that get angry and smash things.
I've gone the sneaky rogue type a few times but I only really enjoyed it in Skyrim and Oblivion.
I go full mage at least once per game, but I never find it more fun than smashing shit with a big weapon.

SHEEP SMASH.

fezzthemonk

Jun 27, 2009
Mage, as they have spells that allow you to both melee and sneek around. Its such a versatile dicipline that you can use it to aid in the learning of any martial and stealth skill

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
I generally go with a mage/thief hybrid myself, i love the versatility and raw power of spell-casting, but i also love the evasiveness and sneakiness that comes with being a thief. Generally when i play games, i just summon minions to do my bidding and go hide somewhere while they kill things, occasionally throwing a ranged attack, be it arrow or fireball, to back my minions up. It's really hard for me to choose between the two.

I guess if i really had to choose between one or the other, it would depend on the mana system. If a game has lots of mana regeneration, then i'll go mage, if it has little or no mana regeneration, I'll go thief.

If that's not a good enough answer, i guess if forced to choose one or the other, with no information of the mana system or character stats to help me, I'd probably end up going mage.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It's a tie between magic and sneaking for me. I like a bit of finesse in my combat, but I also enjoy exploding things. Then again, I prefer slow and powerful strength weaponry in Dark Souls...

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Of the three I'd say warrior, but for me I like being more quick and agile, while still packing a punch. I don't really like using shields and would rather dodge attacks than block (In other words, I prefer Bloodborne over Dark Souls). I also like being stealthy, so I guess a mix of Warrior and Thief. Assassin, I suppose.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I find it strange how warrior is usually the most played class in a game and what gets pushed in marketing but on forums it tends to be the least popular.

Might as well answer this again. It varies between games and what I feel like at the time but usually rogue if they aren't restricted to bows. As a theme I've always like the not overtly powerful but smart and tricky hero. Gameplay wise I like traps and utility, I like fast but squishy, I like alternating between melee and range (but overall prefer melee) and if it's a party based RPG I like having the essential utility skills and of course speech skills on my main so I can switch the rest of the party out whenever I want. It is usually a rogue who fits the bill.

If it's available hybrid warrior/mages or rouge/mages are up there as well. For pure mages it depends a lot on how they are done. I don't tend to like mages as pure backline damage dealers but like them in mixed or support roles.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Definitely a mage, but thief would be my second choice, or a combination of the two if the game allows. If I can choose between having the ability to effectively wave around a sharp piece of metal, and having universe warping powers, then I'm going to have to go with the later.

Besides, I tend to find mages to be more reliably skillful in terms of gameplay. It obviously varies from game to game, but I've played plenty of games where warriors are incredibly simply to play and lacking in any depth, which gets really boring after a while. Mages and thieves on the other hand usually have at least as deep mechanics as warriors. Besides, when I go warrior I always find myself looking on enviously at all the cool utility spells mages often have (teleportation, conjuring objects, water-walking, etc), yet, when I'm a mage I rarely find myself envying the +1 Sword of Whatever.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Battlemage!

Magic and fighting are tied for me, although I also like sneaking. If done right. Sadly, is not often enough.