Poll: Mage, Thief or Warrior?

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
I play my rogues like brawny and my warriors light. Something about dexterity and medium armor appeals to me. But when I do decide to play a mage, he's either a hybrid (a la the Witcher), an anti-mage, or dark arts (in order of availability).

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
CaitSeith said:
kris40k said:
Personally, I lean towards stealth in most games to start off with. Being sneaky, gaining info, and thinking things out before I take action is the way I operate.

I went Argonian Spellsword in my first time. It was pretty fun to interrupt the dragons' shout with a double-handed lightning bolt. But yeah, I sneaked all the time (to the point it reached the 100 skill points) and shot arrows to unsuspected enemies whenever I had the chance.
That's more an issue of restricting your own playstyle though. I LOVE stealth characters, but when I made characters that specifically weren't meant to be sneaky, because it didn't fit their background, I just had to remember not to do it. My Son of Talos, he never sneaked, he also never looted the cairns of his fallen kinsmen in the tombs, and lots of other unique things that were specific behaviors for him. I could've sneaked around with him sure, but it wouldn't fit the concept, so I didn't.

Just because Sneak and Archery are there, doesn't mean you have to use them. xD

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Happyninja42 said:
CaitSeith said:
kris40k said:
Personally, I lean towards stealth in most games to start off with. Being sneaky, gaining info, and thinking things out before I take action is the way I operate.

I went Argonian Spellsword in my first time. It was pretty fun to interrupt the dragons' shout with a double-handed lightning bolt. But yeah, I sneaked all the time (to the point it reached the 100 skill points) and shot arrows to unsuspected enemies whenever I had the chance.
That's more an issue of restricting your own playstyle though. I LOVE stealth characters, but when I made characters that specifically weren't meant to be sneaky, because it didn't fit their background, I just had to remember not to do it. My Son of Talos, he never sneaked, he also never looted the cairns of his fallen kinsmen in the tombs, and lots of other unique things that were specific behaviors for him. I could've sneaked around with him sure, but it wouldn't fit the concept, so I didn't.

Just because Sneak and Archery are there, doesn't mean you have to use them. xD
It was pretty much my first time playing a TES game. But for what I understood from the character creation description (and the starting skill points) Argonians tend to be sneaky and treacherous (even though Kaijits are considered the true masters of that art). So I rarely felt out-of-character when doing some sneak archery.

EDIT: And as part of the characterization, I opted to use light-armor only.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Usually I end up as a warrior-thief, sneaking around and getting the drop on people while taking everything that isn't nailed down, but not afraid to pull out the ax and smash some heads in when it's called for.

Malfrun

May 9, 2015
Happyninja42 said:
Malfrun said:
Warrior, sword and board.
I can't get more boring, right?
Nah, nothing boring about it. It can be really fun depending on the game. Some games are built so that you feel like a total badass playing a sword/board. Others, not so much. I personally enjoy all 3 playstyles, but it varies from game to game. Like Dragon Age 2, for all it's story faults, had a fun combat system that I really enjoyed. And it was one of the times in recent history, where I preferred to play a warrior instead of a mage/thief. I think it depends on how much combat momentum you have when you are diving into the thick of it. If you are constantly engaged, with some kind of attack, or defensive maneuver, triggering a reaction attack, etc, it feels really damn fun, and engaging, and leaves me wanting more.

But, since most games, well I won't say most, but a lot of games, don't balance it well, it tends to feel 1 Notey as a warrior. At least with the thief, I have more agency on how to deal with a problem, if the mechanics are sub par overall.

Yeah, you do feel pretty badass. I think what I like most about using a shield is that it makes the most sense in a real fight. I don't really believe you'd get nearly as far just two handing a weapon (dark souls is a perfect example). It is a video game though so I guess I shouldn't worry so much haha

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
In theory, the mage. In practice, I've never played a mage class in a videogame that has ever been fun or well designed. In fact, most games that try to have the three will invariably fuck up at least one of them (especially if one of them is a mage), encouraging you to play the others.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
Sneaking forever. Thief/Stealth class is all about finesse and find paths, cover, and avoiding noise and light, which is admittedly easy but never not entertaining, especially in Fallout. Nothing is more fun then lining up critical after critical as the enemies freak out at seemingly nothing dropping them. Whether it's a smartly done stealth game or a exploit fest, sneaking feels like the game at it's fullest. Mage always gets overpowered fast and warriors tactics never change other then just smacking things until it's over. People can rock those classes, but for me it's stealth all the way.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Mage! If I'm gonna be in a fantasy setting I tend to prefer to be something much less ordinary than a sword wielding humanoid.

This assumes they didn't make mage suck.

I'm also partial to a rogue because stealth is fun, but the games that seem to do stealth really well don't seem to be games where fighter and mage are an option.

Warrior is tolerable sometimes. Just not exciting enough to me.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Theres always been a cathartic joy in hitting enemies with large weapons and shrugging off their attacks like they were swinging toy swords so I guess warrior has my vote. Too bad we tend to suffer late game (damn quadratic wizards)

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Ever since I've found The Elder Scrolls and these kinds of character systems...

All of the above ^_^

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Secondhand Revenant said:
I'm also partial to a rogue because stealth is fun, but the games that seem to do stealth really well don't seem to be games where fighter and mage are an option.
Almost like they devoted their time and energy to making a good stealth game. xD Of course, doesn't always work well, just look at the Thief reboot. *shudders*

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Warriror usually. I find in most games, good armour/weapons and a high hp pool will get you through most situations, whereas if your playing a physically weak rouges or mages, you usually will get stomped at some point.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Happyninja42 said:
Secondhand Revenant said:
Almost like they devoted their time and energy to making a good stealth game. xD Of course, doesn't always work well, just look at the Thief reboot. *shudders*
Well... yeah exactly XD

In non-stealth focused games it tends to feel more like an advantage in combat than its own proper method

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Always sneaking...thiefing, err...thieving. But in a good way, right? Hopefully with knives and the odd magic involved. Playing Magicka 2 recently has installed some appreciation of the colourful arts. But stealthy, sneaky theiving thief always. There feels more challenge and greater feeling of achievement from successfully pulling off thought provoking plans. The tense feeling is almost horror-like in certain games. Even JC3 i been doing as stealthily as the mechanics allow.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
It really depends entirely on the game for me. I voted warrior though since the most recent game I've been playing with this kind of system was Guild Wars 2 and I mained warrior for the longest time. Now I play revenant which is mostly a warrior type, but with some mage influence (as far as gameplay goes anyway).

However, in Elder Scrolls games, my first and favourite character is always a Dunmer assassin, followed by a Breton mage.

When I played Diablo 3, I picked barabarian since that appeared to be the easiest class to do solo play with.

In Torchlight 2, I played the Ember Mage because blinking around wile firing off the multi-shot skill (can't remember its name) because that was the most fun playstyle.

So ya, open to all, but I think I tend to play warriors more often, especially in multiplayer games where they are often the most self-sufficient.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Mage.

They are just to damn versatile.

For example

Can a warrior summon a fireball. No. But a mage can cast a spell to buff his strength and armour and fight light a warrior. (depending on the rule set)

Can a theif call lightning down open his foes? No. But a mage can open locks and make themself invisible.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
It depends on the mechanics of the game, but I tend to prefer the concept of sneaking around, even in shooters and taking out primary targets or objectives.

Though full guns blazing can be pretty damned fun if I do say so myself. I've never been much of a mage.