Poll: Magic the Gathering, do you play?

Feb 18, 2010
Hey guys, so I was wondering how many escapians play Magic the Gathering? I myself have just started playing online again after an 18 month break and now I remember why I quit, its so damn addictive! Played about 5 m11 drafts in two days, so easy to burn through loads of money.

So do you guys play? Are you as addicted as me?

Rob Shogun

Sep 17, 2008
Not as much as I used to and never online, thinking about getting the XBLA version when I can get some money together

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
I tried to play it a couple of months back. Got so confused that I eventually abandoned it.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I would if any of my friends still played. As for the addiction, I've upwards of 10K cards, and I haven't bought a pack in over four years, so you tell me.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I used to a few years ago. Don't anymore cause I suck at making good decks.

Meltyman

Jul 15, 2010
ive never played online, i play in FNM every week, and go to those PTQs tournaments once in a while.. im talking about Finlands mtg scene its bit smaller here sadly :<

PS: drafts are the best for sure

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Didn't even know you could play it online.

Used to play semi-regularly in high school, but I haven't had the opportunity since leaving it. Played a couple of games at a con one year, but that was a while ago.

Raikov

Mar 1, 2010
Never online, but otherwise I play periodically. And go to pre releases and stuff. Load of fun just looking at the complete nerds in there =P

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I rarely play it anymore since I really don't like having to constantly make new decks due to the fact that the frequent tournaments only allow the most recent or last series of cards. That and the most efficient deck ends up requiring so much time, knowing and studying each card in the series and then having to hunt down those individual cards. Takes a lot of the magic (no pun intended) out of the game.
Plus I have two decks that I spent years and a good deal of cash making back in the day (early days of ebay and such, so I had to spend so much time hunting down cards from people), and when they finally got tossed out of regular tournaments I just stopped caring.

Note: My two decks: Goblin/Foodchain (Red/Artifact/Green)
Acolyte Infinite Life Deck (Black/White)

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I played when the classic edition came out in 99, played for about 2 years, but as expansions came out that made the rules overly complex so as it could not be picked up quickly by a novice there were increasingly less people willing to play with, so I gave up. Never played it online however did play the horrible PSX game of it that came out about the same time.

Meltyman

Jul 15, 2010
NeutralDrow: its called Magic Online, i dislike it because it ruins our Magic Community in Finland.. ppl rather sit on their asses at home than with sweaty nerds in a small shop while playing MTG ;)

theres a way to play it for free also, its called Magic Workstation, you can make decks from all the magic cards there is... you can also have sealed drafts with your friends if you want ^^

its bit buggy at times though...

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
This household's been playing since the 90's when the cards looked much prettier and spells were better than creatures. Hell, I even have the full Urza set and 4 Enduring Renewals. On top of that, I have 6 full CC Binders as well as a suitcase and about 5 decks laying about as well as a bunch of random cards in boxes. So yeah, I play and I play hard.

Feb 18, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
This household's been playing since the 90's when the cards looked much prettier and spells were better than creatures. Hell, I even have the full Urza set and 4 Enduring Renewals. On top of that, I have 6 full CC Binders as well as a suitcase and about 5 decks laying about as well as a bunch of random cards in boxes. So yeah, I play and I play hard.
Do you really think the old cards looked better? Sure a couple are pretty timeless but for the most part I think the art design has improved dramatically since then. Looks a lot more consistent these days. Props for a full set of urza, v impressive.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
roger moores eyebrow said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Do you really think the old cards looked better? Sure a couple are pretty timeless but for the most part I think the art design has improved dramatically since then. Looks a lot more consistent these days. Props for a full set of urza, v impressive.
I like the design more of the old cards, like the border and stuff, but the actual pictures I must admit are nicer in the new ones. I must say though that the older cards generally have better flavour text. Oh, and thank you.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
I play, though it kinda comes and goes and is bound to go now that I'll be moving. Mostly casual and prereleases with the odd draft now and then.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I started when I started university. I've got a pretty basic deck with a bit too much cards in it, but I'm hoping to eventually make a second deck soon.

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
Played sporadically with a friend who liked playing a lot. Was pretty fun, but not to the point where I actually wanted to pursue it past 2 starter packs.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
I do I do, but not as much as I used to since I dont have anyone to play with :(

Blue/White FTW.

btw, 18th this month MTG: Tactics will be released. A mix of MTG and turn based combat ala Heroes of Might and Magic.