Poll: Man, Fuck Realism

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
I like it, but only when I am in the mood to play realistically. When I am not in the mood I play Prototype and when I am I play my heavily modded Fallout 3, but even there I put on god mode and blow up half the map with my MIRV and Tesla Canon :D

On a sidenote: Flying Ragdollz FTW! :D

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
It all depends on the game. If it's SMB, then shag realism, I want my tanookie suit!

But, if it's supposed to be a strategic or tactical game, then yes, I want my one hit kills, and expect to take an hour or more to finish a scenario properly.

But, I also like the mindless fun factor of a Painkiller.

It all depends on the game. It sucks when they eschew fun for the sake of some cool new physics effect or realism that just belong with the rest of the game.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
I like my games without obsessive amounts of realism, but I wouldn't like it if the game was so unrealistic that it ceased to make any sense whatsoever.

At the end of the day, realism is fine inside a world that makes it real. So I can accept vita-chambers in Bioshock because while they are unrealistic things that fit into an unrealistic world, it makes that world seem more real. So, I guess I prefer unrealistic games with realistic pretentions.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
If I had to choose, then unrealism over realism. However that's not to say I don't like realism, I like the extra layer of challenge it brings, but I prefer unrealism and the fun factor it can bring with it, especially if you're going to half ass realism in games, and make some kind of hybrid between realism and unrealism.

pieeater911

Jun 27, 2008
Ultra-realistic games are cool at first, but after a certain point I just get annoyed when I die in one hit.

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
GRAW is a modern warfare game, and there is no such thing as a good modern warfare game. They're ridiculously easy and tend not to be fun at all.

I like games that are well-made, not games that try to be realistic. How realistic a game turns out is irrelevant (ironically games with minimal physics/graphics, such as Thief, tend to be more immersing than games that strive to simulate life) as long as the game is good. It just happens that "realistic shooters" like GRAW universally suck ass.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
It doesn't bother me much. I like styliesed games like Team Fortress 2, but I also like some realistic games like Battlefield: Bad Company or Grand Theft Auto 4.

incrediblegeek

Feb 17, 2009
People should really stop referring to GTA, Battlefield, CoD, and GR:AW when talking about realism. There's a big difference between "realistic" (verisimilitude if your a literary nerd), and "based on a real thing." Yes the CoD games are based on real conflict, but they are not "realistic". Neither are GTA, Battlefield, etc.

The original Ghost Recon games, Red Orchestra, Operation Flashpoint, ARMA, and the like, are realistic shooters, focused on tactics, damage modeling, and realistic weapon behavior.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
You do realize that some people do enjoy realism, right?
AdhesiveTape said:
I'm tired of companies making videogames of things anyone could, quite reasonably, go out and ACTUALLY DO! If you've got a media that can make anything happen, then make it happen! AAAUUGHHH!
Anyone would reasonably want to go out and get shot? Or control a military jet or tank?

AdhesiveTape

Aug 26, 2009
YuheJi said:
AdhesiveTape said:
I'm tired of companies making videogames of things anyone could, quite reasonably, go out and ACTUALLY DO! If you've got a media that can make anything happen, then make it happen! AAAUUGHHH!
Anyone would reasonably want to go out and get shot? Or control a military jet or tank?
That's not exactly what I meant... I mean, realism has it's merits, but I would like to see more inventiveness... Interesting color schemes, landscapes that aren't based on actual places, boss fights rather than just mobs. ...fewer sports games...

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
jedstopher said:
YuheJi said:
Those people should try going outside.
Do you seriously believe that what you see in say, ArmA 2 is something that you could see by simply going outside?