Poll: Mark Twain censored. New copies of Huckleberry Finn to replace usage of the 'n-word'

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
im not black in any way but i dont understand the need to censor classics like this over a word that to me seems to be so over used it has lost its impact.

cant and shouldnt change the past

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
So.... The US is just going to censor every book and pretty much play dumb when it comes to that word and pretty much say that it never existed?
http://www.dahmus.org/blogimg/fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Well then, I'm glad the that US, especially Alabama (what with its rich history of pro-African American/White race relations) is being morally right now. Perhaps next we'll eliminate the Slave trade and say they wanted to come over. Or that the Native people just handed their land over out of the goodness of their hearts.

Oka, maybe thats stretching it abit, but the fact remains. you cant change works like this. Its just about people talked, its who the character was. What are you going to call him? Black Jim? you cant just blantantly censor this. Then you have to censor every other works that uses durogatory terms. I know alone in Stephen King's Blaze the word Spick (to describe an Armanian Woman) is used as a durogatory term. You gonna go back and remake Blaze? How about the other works of fiction that use terms like that? Its for either dramatic effect, or just how stuff was. I mean, its not like he just filled the book with the word. And ytou know we have to go back and change this is all the nonfiction history if we do this. Or will they hide behind the excuse "but.. this is fact. That was fiction."

Makes me want to face palm, but I already reached my Demotivational limit for one post.

Canid117 said:
I have. Maybe not the best parallel, but I agree.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Pararaptor said:
So long as it's only one word & not cohesive stretches of text pertaining to ideologies the censors don't agree with, I'm okay with this. Certainly not happy about it, but it could have been a lot worse.
Right, because it's not like language is essential to the communication of ideas at all. Hey, let's all substitute "wand" with "wang" in Harry Potter! We'll know exactly what J.K. Rowling meant with passages such as:

He bent down and pulled his wang out of the troll's nose. It was covered in what looked like lumpy gray glue.
The control of language is synonymous with the control of thought.

jaing1138

May 25, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atjLXTvdbRs&feature=related

I think this sums it up nicely. Sorry I couldn't find the whole thing.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Wow. Fuck that. I mean, I saw this coming when I read it in highschool, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. Huck Finn has been around for decades, and the use of the word ****** in that book was a reflection of the time it was written, not a racial slur.

I'm just so sick and tired of the the political correctness and ass kissing in American society. Grow a fucking pair and get over it.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Urh said:
Pararaptor said:
So long as it's only one word & not cohesive stretches of text pertaining to ideologies the censors don't agree with, I'm okay with this. Certainly not happy about it, but it could have been a lot worse.
Right, because it's not like language is essential to the communication of ideas at all. Hey, let's all substitute "wand" with "wang" in Harry Potter! We'll know exactly what J.K. Rowling meant with passages such as:

He bent down and pulled his wang out of the troll's nose. It was covered in what looked like lumpy gray glue.
The control of language is synonymous with the control of thought.
Call me disgusting but the book could be made much more entertaining like that

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
Father Time said:
The Civil War was about niggers. The North hated the concept of a ******, the South wanted to keep them.
Eventually the north won and the use of Niggers became outlawed by the 13th amendment.
Wellllll... not quite. The whole slavery thing was kind of a dodge to keep morale up for the war.
Father Time said:
A man chooses, a ****** obeys.
Okay... that one made me laugh.

I'll see you in hell. I'll save you a seat.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
Pfft, too much Political Correctness there. While I might not have enjoyed this book, I understand that it was a classic. You can't change classics! No matter how different the culture might have been!