Poll: Marriage or Relationship ?

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
A simple question to state your opinion, Which do you prefer ? Being Married to someone or Being in a long relationship with someone ?

Both have their Pro's and Con's but both are pretty much the same thing you get Love, Sex , Secuirty and few other Benfits out of both of them.

Oh and Divorce and Break up will always be a option.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Marriage. Way I see it, a lifelong commitment is the only context in which anything like that can actually be enjoyed and truly valued.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
I keep saying this, pretty much any time a relationship thread comes up. But.

I am a divorcee, and as such, I can't see myself getting remarried. I'm very happy just being in a relationship with someone I care about, and I would rather not have to go through the legal and emotional woes that the breakup of a marriage brings.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
At the moment i'm a single man..(and looking) but should i get into one again..I would like to take the step into marriage.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Security only comes with marriage. Infact as I recently learned marriage used to be just about security of finances as people long ago married people who would help them with their jobs, not for love.

I wanna get married (mostly for the experience though honestly) but as long as I love them and they love me I could live and die unmarried. Though the laws and conservative hypocritic assholes born from evil seem intent on forcing me to die unmarried.

DARKLARK

Jul 30, 2008
There should be another option. Love. Where your simply with someone with no fucking societal labels attached

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Marriage is a little too heteronormative for me. My views could change, especially for the right guy. But at the moment, I'm not all that interested. That said, I still think I should be able to marry a guy, even if I'm not currently taken by the idea of marriage in general. But now I'm being too political. Sorry, ignore me.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
Marriage is simple a relationship that is bound by law and/or religion. A long defacto relationship can be just as good if not sometimes better, depending on the couple and comes without so much hassle if there is a desire to end it. Either is fine by me, but my preferred choice is obviously married since I am engaged.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So...how come when I vote, it switchs from several options to just two? For the record, I voted for relationship turning into marriage. I like the thought of finding one woman to share the rest of my life with, settle down, have kids, etc. Real romantic stuff like that, which is apparently one (of many) reasons why I'm single. I think too many people look at marriage more as a death trap today though. Too must lack of trust and suspicion that the person is going to betray you. Sad in my opinion.

Hey! More poll answers showed up. Yay.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Relationship.

The financial stability argument thrown up for marriage earlier doesn't ring true for me, joint accounts and wills work irrespective of marital status. Also, surely it's more romantic being with someone to be with them rather than because you are/want-to-be married? Finally a 'relationship' promotes a more seemingly casual relationship, this is good because seriousness (marriage) means stress which creates problems.

Also, one in two marriages end in divorce. So half you guys choosing marriage, you'll get divorced. Ciao!

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
kurupt87 said:
Relationship.

The financial stability argument thrown up for marriage earlier doesn't ring true for me, joint accounts and wills work irrespective of marital status. Also, surely it's more romantic being with someone to be with them rather than because you are/want-to-be married? Finally a 'relationship' promotes a more seemingly casual relationship, this is good because seriousness (marriage) means stress which creates problems.

Also, one in two marriages end in divorce. So half you guys choosing marriage, you'll get divorced. Ciao!
I'm confident that my marriage will work, thank you very much :)

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I am really not sure what you are asking. Right now I am up for a relationship. Only way to learn who you will marry.

Thaius said:
Marriage. Way I see it, a lifelong commitment is the only context in which anything like that can actually be enjoyed and truly valued.
That and you get to do things like file taxes jointly and various other things like that.

Hurray Forums

Jun 4, 2008
If I'm with the person I love, who cares. Marriage or no marriage just isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Well, I guess there are legal benefits to marriage, but I'm assuming this question is more about the relationship aspect of it.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Depends. I've never been in a relationship with a woman and ended up seriously wanting to marry her, although I would like to get married, have kids etc. I've thought it would be nice if the lady in question turned into someone I'd like to marry one day, but it's never happened or been seriosly persued. Also, if a relationship just kept going, never got to the marrrying stage but also never broke up, that would be absolutely fine too. That probably all sounds a bit confusing...

nails06

Jan 22, 2010
As a divorced man, I'm going to have to say "relationship". At least when a relationship goes sour you don't lose most of your stuff.

OT: She kept my NES and over a hundred games,R.O.B, power pad, light gun, etc.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
nails06 said:
As a divorced man, I'm going to have to say "relationship". At least when a relationship goes sour you don't lose most of your stuff.

Oh man...I mean, I know murder is usually frowned upon, but...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
As long as I'm with the person I love I'm happy, married or otherwise. I'd like to get married as it's a beautiful ritual to prove your commitment to the people around you, but I could easily do without. As long as we're happy together.
Thaius said:
Then again, can you only make a commitment to each other through marriage? Sounds rather...limited.
nails06 said:
.... SUE THE *****!!! That's just...evil.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
Relationship to marriage. If things go well, the relationship will continue all the way through the marriage. :p
I'm not overly concerned with marriage though. As long as the relationship stays intact, it shouldn't really matter.