Poll: Mass Effect 1 or 2?

Sprong

Nov 17, 2009
This is a really hard one for me. I love ME1 for its RPG elements, awesome characters and well-structured and paced story; I love ME2 for its exciting combat, more complex environments and equally awesome characters.

They both had faults, too: ME1 had boring, repetitive bases and planets for the optional missions, and a really annoying upgrade/inventory system - ME2 accomplished these much better, especially with the far more interesting hacking/decoding minigames (excepting, of course, the dull planet-scanning). Plus, I played a vanguard in both games, and the Charge skill in ME2 is the best and most exhilarating skill I've seen in an Action/RPG for a long time ? it really captured the essence of the vanguard's in-your-face gameplay.

ME2, though, had a dumbed-down RPG system and an inferior morality calculator, which I enjoyed less than ME1. While I liked that your Paragon/Renegade scores were influenced almost entirely by your actions, it prompted me to metagame in order to get the best result, which I disliked. I played a mostly Renegade character, but not a complete bastard, about 2/3 Renegade 1/3 Paragon. I had to choose between losing some squadmates' loyalties due to my Renegade score being too low, or betraying the ideals of my character in order to get those extra Renegade points. I really dislike this ? I want to be able to play a balanced character and not be punished for it.

ME1 allowed me to do that, because as long as I had enough points in Intimidate, I didn't need to take every opportunity to be a dick to everyone in order to maxmise my renegade score. I could -choose- when to take the extreme hard line and when to leave someone be, and thus create a realistic character who cared about some people/causes, but not about others. ME2 seemed to think that if you didn't practice your dickishness enough on everyone, you couldn't intimidate people when you really needed to.

Overall: it's so very close for me, the strengths and weaknesses of each balance themselves out. Due to its superior villain and a greater sense of pacing and structure through its story, I think I have to choose ME1.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Mr. Moonshine said:
amaranth_dru said:
2. Epic beginning.
HURRR U IN SPACE AND NOW SHIP EXPLODE XD SO RANDUM SAVE THE ROBOT CHICKEN DUDE
I am stunned by the pure awesomeness of your reply. Please sir, dispense more wisdom so we can learn from an intellectual giant as yourself.

ThePerfectionist

Apr 5, 2010
This is a lot closer of a vote than I thought it would be, to be honest with you, because given the uufathomable (to me, anyway) popularity of samey-FPSs in today's gaming market, I would have thought ME2, which was basically just another one of those with excellent writing, would be destroying the otherwise superior in almost every damn way Mass Effect 1.

Better story, larger world, unnecessary rewards for exploration (as opposed to fucking needing to sit through the tedious mining if you want the best ending in ME2), more interesting NPCs (party members aside, even I have to concede that ME2 has a WAY better party pool). A skill system that actually had fucking customization and worked REALLY well. No ammo, which is something unique and interesting, something action games desperately need right now. Oh yeah, and it didn't feel too god-damn short. For being on two discs, ME2 is essentially training missions, recruit missions, loyalty missions, and ending. There's virtually nothing to do that actually drives the story. I whipped through the loyalty missions, dying to see where this was going, and then the game went "okay, begin the endgame" and I was just in shock.

So, yeah, anyway, Mass Effect 1 forever.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Mass Effect 2 was a big improvement over Mass Effect 1. But now that I'm clean of Mass Effect games for nearly 3 months I can judge both games properly. I have to say that Mass Effect 1 made a bigger impact on me. They are both amazing games, and like I said, I acknowledge that ME2 is an improvement, but I still had to vote for ME1. There is something about it. I think it's the atmosphere.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
onewheeled999 said:
"... and a better endgame sequence (in my opinion, since I hated the whole "Oh, you picked Miranda for this? Sucks for you, that's wrong, she dead, foo!" thing they had going on)."
I completely agree with you but if you only want Miranda dead, damn she's hard to kill(I think she's the hardest{sole person} to kill in the entire squad)!

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
I preferred the second one.

The story is opened up to the player a bit more smoothly than the first, and keeps well with the very interesting characters portrayed throughout.

Unfortunately, though, it does stray a bit from the main story presented in the first one.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Soulpunch said:
Loved Them Both, But Mass Effect 2 Took It Further, and Alot Fewer Glitches.
But Mass Effect 1 Was still a fucking great game, and i play two alot still, and I can't wait for the Third One :)
What glitches are you talking about? I have the pc version of ME1 and I heard they fixed some stuff and I didn't run into any glitches during my playthrough so I'm curious which ones your talking about. For me, ME2 had one glitch that happened repeatedly, the one where you brush up against a wall/object and start floating up in the air with no way down.

just remembered, the bridge to exogeni on feros had 1 or 2 enemies stuck under the bridge. Other than that, I can't think of any other glitches.

hobohazard

Apr 2, 2011
i half to say 2. its a case of amazing story and meh game play vs amazing story and good game play. also the dam me2 atosave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Soulpunch

Jun 28, 2011
I Played Mass Effect 1 On The Xbox, And Was Stuck Many Times And Couldn't Move, And i have bad habbit of never saving, of course there was auto save, but it never saved me from doing 2, or 3 hours of work again, but even though that i simoly loved it.
I have never encountered any problems with Mass Effect 2, Not the thing where you floating mid air like a ballon, only thing i can remember, is that Captain Anderson body fucked up during a Dialog, but me and my friends just laughed of it. and didn't do anything besides looking stupid.
I Like Both, But Mass Effect 2 have slight edge over Mass Effect 1 In My Opinion.
But I'm Glad for you, that you had no glitches in the first one :)

Soulpunch

Jun 28, 2011
-Dragmire- said:
Soulpunch said:
But Mass Effect 1 Was still a fucking great game, and i play two alot still, and I can't wait for the Third One :)
What glitches are you talking about? I have the pc version of ME1 and I heard they fixed some stuff and I didn't run into any glitches during my playthrough so I'm curious which ones your talking about. For me, ME2 had one glitch that happened repeatedly, the one where you brush up against a wall/object and start floating up in the air with no way down.

just remembered, the bridge to exogeni on feros had 1 or 2 enemies stuck under the bridge. Other than that, I can't think of any other glitches.
I Played Mass Effect 1 On The Xbox, And Was Stuck Many Times And Couldn't Move, And i have bad habbit of never saving, of course there was auto save, but it never saved me from doing 2, or 3 hours of work again, but even though that i simoly loved it.
I have never encountered any problems with Mass Effect 2, Not the thing where you floating mid air like a ballon, only thing i can remember, is that Captain Anderson body fucked up during a Dialog, but me and my friends just laughed of it. and didn't do anything besides looking stupid.
I Like Both, But Mass Effect 2 have slight edge over Mass Effect 1 In My Opinion.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Soulpunch said:
-Dragmire- said:
Soulpunch said:

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Both. Mass Effect 1 was an RPG,and set the stage,whilst Mass Effect 2 was a shooter that progressed the show.

Elven Marksman

Jun 27, 2008
Both were great, but since you made me pick, I'll take number two.

Only reason was that I selected all the options to make Ashley hate me, and the sex scene happened anyway, so yeah, I'll hate ME1 for that =D

Both were great though.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Mass Effect 2 handled so, sooo much better compared to ME1. ME1 did have some things in its favor like being able to actually explore open planets (even though you had to do it with the Mako) and the RPG elements were more prominent.

But for a game like ME the approach of ME2 was a vast improvement. Now if they can find a happy medium between the two style of RPG and shooter it will be perfect. But I'd rather they lean towards ME2 when it comes to active fighting in combat, and more towards ME1 when it comes to preparing for it (upgrades n' such).

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Honestly, I'm torn. ME1 does great things, ME2 does some other great things.

Fuggit, I'll just say I like both and be done with it.

an_luas

Jun 27, 2010
I adore both games but I've found so many things in ME2 that I don't like, yet I still love the game.
Back on topic I voted ME1