Poll: Mass Effect 2 PS3 vs Xbox 360?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
So, after just completing Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 I was wondering... was anyone else stupid enough to actually buy the game when they already own the Xbox 360 version? I was, simply because my PS3 is a new aquisition and I'm hoping to make it my main console, so would really like to get Mass Effect 3 on PS3 when it comes out.

However after playing through ME2 on PS3, I noticed that it just isn't the same as the native Xbox 360 version. My reasons:

- There are numerous graphical glitches which I never saw in the 360 version.
- I have fallen through/got stuck on the terrain at times.
- There is very little improvement in the graphics considering a "new engine" (as promised by Bioware.)
- A known glitch during Thane's loyalty mission is still present, forcing me to perform an unwanted renegade action simply to get past it.
- Occasional popping textures.
- Visibly reduced frame rate during some of the more hectic battles.
- The interactive comic provides the most important choices from ME1 but is no comparison for the actual game. I missed a lot of the smaller characters and references that popped up in the Xbox 360 version.

Many of you might say I'm moaning about nothing, that really I should have expected all of these things. But overall, having the ability to decide between both versions fairly, I am dissapointed with the port and I think I might just stick to buying the upcoming Mass Effect 3 on the Xbox 360 instead.

What are everyone else's opinions?

EDIT: After reading this through, I realised that it looks like I'm hitting on Bioware and Mass Effect 2. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ME2 it's one of my all time favourite games and I wish we had more games like it. I was just comparing the two versions.

EDIT 2: Thanks to Ran.Dom for the following link. A very interesting site which compares the two games on a technical level.

Ran.Dom said:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=26591

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
I would say stick with 360 if it's causing problems; there won't be much of a difference between version anyways so stick with what has been going good already.

I will be buying it for PC myself, but would definitely go 360 if I did it for console.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
The 360 version is better for one simple reason: You get to play ME1 and have everything carry over. And they seriously haven't fixed that glitch in the interrogation room? Someone has been lazy.

inglioti

Oct 10, 2009
I've only played the PS3 version, not having a PC or an Xbox. I've noticed that sometimes there is a delay in voices and sounds in the cutscenes, and when I first loaded the game there seemed to be an unidentifiable crackling at all times.

Reloading fixed it, but I'm still a little wary. I'm sad Bioware hasn't fixed all the problems.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
MulticolorCharizard said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The 360 version is better for one simple reason: You get to play ME1 and have everything carry over.
Uh, yeah no.

Dont base a games quality on another game.
My point was that they are the same game. Except you don't get to play the first game in the intended trilogy if you play the PS3 version.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I was just looking into an analysis of the two versions and was surprised by the effort BioWare have actually put in to the PS3 port. The Xbox is better overall, but the PS3 still gives you a good experience.

That's the nature of porting games unfortunately, they can never be equal. People who only have a PS3 get to experience this great game now, so that's a win.

EDIT: Also thought I better add this on so my inbox doesn't get quote spammed. I own a PS3, Xbox and PC, ergo no fanboy bias on my side!

Proverbial Jon

Nov 10, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The 360 version is better for one simple reason: You get to play ME1 and have everything carry over. And they seriously haven't fixed that glitch in the interrogation room? Someone has been lazy.
There's one in the interogation room too? I didn't notice that one. The one I got stuck on was when you have to follow the Turian whilst on the catwalk. The audio cues sometimes don't play and also one of them interupts a scene with another character, leaving you stuck during a dialogue sequence with no dialogue options!

I have to admit I was dissapointed when I realised they hadn't even adressed glitches which the community had identified long before they even ported the game. Just look on the Mass Effect wiki Bioware!

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
There's one in the interogation room too? I didn't notice that one. The one I got stuck on was when you have to follow the Turian whilst on the catwalk. The audio cues sometimes don't play and also one of them interupts a scene with another character, leaving you stuck during a dialogue sequence with no dialogue options!
Wow. The one I'm talking about is the fact that paragon interrupts don't activate. You are supposed to have paragon AND renegade interrupts. But a glitch causes the paragon to not show.

Proverbial Jon

Nov 10, 2009
Ran.Dom said:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=26591

May wanna check this out.
But yeah, I play the PC version so who cares.
Thanks for the link, it's a very interesting read. I have added it to the OP. It seems that on a technical level, there isn't much to promote one game over another.

MulticolorCharizard

Nov 14, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
MulticolorCharizard said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The 360 version is better for one simple reason: You get to play ME1 and have everything carry over.
Uh, yeah no.

Dont base a games quality on another game.
My point was that they are the same game. Except you don't get to play the first game in the intended trilogy if you play the PS3 version.
Fair play, you got me. If you want the best experience as a trilogy, go for the 360, or even better, the PC, but hey, I prefer it on the ps3, probably just because of the console its on, i gate the 360 controlle, iuno.

AlexLoxate

Sep 3, 2010
We'll it's a dilemma. Content wise the PS3 has a clear advantage, but on the other hand, not being able to play the first installment on that console cripples the experience. A comic? Come on... Nice idea, but... come on, seriously?

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
As far as I know ME2 on the PS3 just uses the Mass Effect 3 engine, has all the DLC on one disk, and has had a tendency to lose save data and a few more glitches (which are being looked into).
I would like to check it out to see if there's something I'm missing, but seeing as I have Mass Effect 1 and 2 on the PC (which I'm sure is more or less the same thing as the 360 version minus disk-swapping) I don't really want to buy the same game twice.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Why is there so many issues with porting to the PS3? A similar thing happened with Bayonetta's PS3 port, though it most mostly framerate hiccups instead of bugs. I'm really feeling sorry for PS3 owners.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
I havn't played both, nor seen much gameplay of the PS3 version. I wouldn't be surprised if Bioware claiming the PS3 version is better is simply a ploy to lure people already owning the game into buying it again.

Mass Effect 2 had good enough graphics that I didn't think they needed to be upgraded, unlike the first title, where the graphics could be seen to have become aged. Not that graphics are a large reason in buying a game, I only bought ME1 a week after ME2 was released, and the graphics never pushed me away from the title.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I bought ME2 for ps3 yesterday, have played it for about 7 hours now..

I've experienced only 1 glitch, when i was on the planet where Normandy had crashed and was looking for the dog tags. I was gonna climb up a small cliff and suddenly i was 20 feet in the air walking about without beeing able to get down again..
Had to reload, luckily i lost less than a minutes gameplay.

Other than that i will have to say this game is utmost awesome, and that coming from someone who never really liked sci-fi stuff to begin with.

But surprised by there not beeing any instruction manual following the game, so everything you have to figure out as you play. And that can be somewhat confusing at times.

Proverbial Jon

Nov 10, 2009
theriddlen said:
PC version. Because PC's are awesome.
Sorry about that, completely forgot about the PC version! Have added an option to the poll.

MercurySteam said:
Why is there so many issues with porting to the PS3? A similar thing happened with Bayonetta's PS3 port, though it most mostly framerate hiccups instead of bugs. I'm really feeling sorry for PS3 owners.
Apparently it's something to do with the architecture of the PS3 system, it's completely different to that of the Xbox 360. It's not as easy as simply putting the same content on a different disc. I guess a little like getting certain programs to work on both a PC and a Mac.

Corpse XxX said:
I bought ME2 for ps3 yesterday, have played it for about 7 hours now..

I've experienced only 1 glitch, when i was on the planet where Normandy had crashed and was looking for the dog tags. I was gonna climb up a small cliff and suddenly i was 20 feet in the air walking about without beeing able to get down again..
Had to reload, luckily i lost less than a minutes gameplay.

Other than that i will have to say this game is utmost awesome, and that coming from someone who never really liked sci-fi stuff to begin with.

But surprised by there not beeing any instruction manual following the game, so everything you have to figure out as you play. And that can be somewhat confusing at times.
I didn't encounter that particular glitch but that area is a good example of how the Mass Effect engine doesn't seem to do terrain with multiple levels/inclines very well. I had some trouble navigating some of that area.

Also, yes the lack of a manual was kind of confusing. I didn't need it but I always like to have it there, sort of like a comfort blanket in a way I guess! The game just doesn't feel complete without it.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
AS a person with only a PS3 as next gen console yeah also a Wii but that is hoovering up more dust then the a actual hoover.

I can't vote on this poll because obviously.. I never played on the xbox 360. I seen some screenshots where you do see that the PS3 with the new ME3 graphic engine looks better. But you know that is not that important. So it looks a bit better yes.. the game stays the same. The PS3 owners just are lucky to have all the extra DLC available. But yes they miss out on ME1. Then again that is a rough diamond..I heard things about it. You know how action packed ME2 is the original is said to have a few slow times. That nothing much happens at all.. troubling.

Still I want to play the original so once I have a xbox 360. A true gamer should not be bound by one mere platform after all! I shall play it. And once I sell a certain big space taking thing..I might actually have the money.