Poll: Maximum Children Allowed per Couple

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Supposedly each couple needs to have an average of 2.4 children to maintain a population.

So since babies cant be parted out to couples im going with 3 per couple.

As for my emergengy population control plans... well lets say i take no prisoners and leave it at that.

RyuujinZERO

Oct 4, 2010
Black-Toof said:
Obviously this is a complicated subject; Areas i haven't spoke about:
- divorce & re-marriage children.
The solution here is less so much "2 per couple" as "1 per individual", of course legally "assigning" a child to either partner's "kiddy credit" is pretty morally repugnant.

But "being nice" got us in this mess, so unless we want to handle some VERY serious consequences someone needs to put their foot down and make some tough decisions that people arn't willing to make for themselves. It's all down to ecology equilibrium in the end.

In ecology you see a species spread to fill resource availability in it's environment; for example a predatory animal population in it's range is tied to it's prey animals, ie. rabbits. if the rabbit population booms, the predator population booms til it hits the ceiling, suddenly resource availability drops, and the predators starve back down to a sustainable level. Eventually a sort've equilibrium is reached whereby resource supply and consumption balance out.

Human, post industrialisation is a global population, if we lack resources in X, we import them from Y. But there is STILL A RESOURCE CAP and in those times of plenty human population has happily raced towards the ceiling, so far, we've managed to keep raising the ceiling as fast as population has grown but we can't keep this up forever. In humans though we don't starve, not initially, we start fighting to secure resources. So unless we want World War 3, we HAVE to tie a knot in it ;) - otherwise, all those little kids you're raising and loving now, you're dooming them to a brutal future.

RyuujinZERO

Oct 4, 2010
Colour-Scientist said:
I think they should be allowed to have as many children as they want to have.
And, where is the spare planet you're going to need to house, feed and supply them?

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Two at the most and then only if you have the means to care for them yourself. If you have more that's your problem don't expect the goverment to house and feed you.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
I think that population control is going to be a necessity in the coming century, if only because as the economy continues to (if not actually fail) fail to improve, the increase in population is going to spread resources more and more thinly until things collapse completely. While I think China's stance of one-per-family is too extreme (and leads to a lot of discarded female children whose parents wanted sons) a two-child per family limit is much more sensible. While many parents will fill their quota, some will not, leading to a slow decrease in the population overall. The question is how to enforce it. Without a pseudo-totalitarian regime in place, that level of control over the lives of people would be impossible.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
RyuujinZERO said:
Colour-Scientist said:
And, where is the spare planet you're going to need to house, feed and supply them?
Yeah, because given the choice people are obviously going to opt to churn out 20 children.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'm with the immortal Sir David Attenborough on this.

Prescriptive population control measures don't work. At best, they just don't work. At worst, they lead to awful human rights abuses like forced abortions and sterilizations, female infanticide and so forth, and that's not even considering that it's short hop down the the street into the wonderful world of eugenics.

The way to reduce population growth is to give women more autonomy over their reproductive choices. In every case where this happens, we see a significant reduction in birth rates, because really.. no woman wants to risk premature death or serious health complications by being forced to squirt out 15 children a decade half of whom will die in early childhood.

There's another point sir David didn't make but which I would also broadly support, which is the sheer irony of people in the developed world lecturing about population growth, something which is primarily occuring in the developing world, while consuming 60% of the world's resources. The sad fact is that if the planet does run out of food, you'll probably all be able to sit comfortably through it munching cheeseburgers and watching billions of people starve to death on TV.

In fact, this is already happening, it's just going to get worse as climate change intensifies. Do you genuinely think you will react differently?

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
I'm all for going extinct.
We could all have so much more fun as a species if we got to stop worrying about the future.

Though I don't like the premise of the poll, you shouldn't force anyone to do anything.
What should be done, is similar to what is done in China with the 1 child policy, except for with two children.
Basic idea- Your first 2 children get their education, and whatever else they can think of, payed by the government, if you want any more, you're going to have to pay for them yourselves.
Of course, this only works in societies with gender equality (as China found out the hard way).

RyuujinZERO

Oct 4, 2010
Colour-Scientist said:
RyuujinZERO said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Yeah, because given the choice people are obviously going to opt to churn out 20 children.
You have no sense of statistics do you...

For every family who has more than two kids. One family has to have only one child to maintain some semblance of stability.

http://www.paulchefurka.ca/World%20Population.JPG

As we can clearly see, the CURRENT rate of growth is entirely unsustainable - sure we have spare land now, but at current rate of growth by 2100 we definatly will not; that ladies is what we call an exponential curve if you paid attention in maths.

A minority of people are going to go off and have 20... 10 or even 5 kids. But that's still 3 kids too many in a world where juvenile deaths are nearly zero in the developed world.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that only people who can afford to have children should be allowed, poorer families with larger amounts of children are larger drains on the social wealth and therefore are not beneficial.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
RyuujinZERO said:
A minority of people are going to go off and have 20... 10 or even 5 kids. But that's still 3 kids too many in a world where juvenile deaths are nearly zero in the developed world.
Kind of irrelevant, as populations are only rising in the developed world due to immigration. Without significant immigration, we would be seeing negative growth rates in most developed countries, perhaps even population crises like the one brewing in Japan.

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
No children for any couples. We need to just be phased out. We had our chance, we screwed up the planet, somehow or another we're still alive.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Seeing as my mum came from a large family (7 kids) I'm not at all opposed to the idea of large families. However logistically it is a problem. Unless we expand off planet to self sustaining colonies things are going to get very bad rather quickly.