Poll: ME: Paragon or Renegade?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
I was going for Paragon with a few Renegade convo options when I got bored/the guy was a jackass. Then I accidentally punched a reporter in the face (what? It said 'right clicky' and the reflexes took over) - the consequences will never be the same...

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
I'm loyal to my team and will defend them to the end. I will also do my best to help anyone out if they're in trouble. But I will not stand for Cerberus, and have personally punched the illusive man in the dick. I only trusted my Cerberus team mates after I felt they earned it, and never felt as connected to them as my non Cerberus members (excluding Leigion, fuck him). I will only be a dick to help out my friends, or when it's really,really funny.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
ME1 4 Paragons and 3 Renegades

ME2 1 Paragon, I didn't like it as much as 1.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
Errr. Paragon, mostly. You can't play Renegade without feeling like a total asshole, really. I think ZP mentions it in his review, some joke about Samuel L. Sheppard. I'm not *completely* paragon either though - I do go for the full points, but only because it's a shame getting stuck at 90%. Renegade options are just assoholic, but paragon options are sometimes so goddamn pro-life hippie it's annoying.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Renegade! You get to do all of the badass stuff, and honestly I could care less about my crew's opinions in that game!

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
I tend to play paragon in Mass Effect, unlike in Assassin's Creed 2, where I don't sympathize with the shiny sausage people.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Paragon. I like when someone is disagreeing with me completely, and I get the opportunity to pull a blue-text-jedi-mindtrick, and suddenly they're giving me money and thanking me for teaching them a lesson in inter-species tolerance.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
Paragon, because pure Paragon Shepard is a beast, but in a different way. One of the best Paragon moments that also shows this well is when the reporter asks Shepard about sending human ships to die to save the council ( if you did of course ) and he chews her out and lists the names of all the ships who were lost and ends the interview.

Also Renegade Shepard just comes off as a douchebag, not someone who makes the hard choices with a bit of a dark streak, he just acts like a prick, in my opinion of course.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Paragon. While renegade is easily more entertaining at times, some of the choices just seem to be trying TOO hard to be blatant assholes.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
First playthrough: Full Paragon (Male Shepard)

Second: Full Renegade who cares about crew(Male Shepard)

Third: Full Renegade who disregards crew(Female Shepard)

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
MishiSings said:
Woodsey said:
Both!

That's how it turns out anyway, mostly because it is IMPOSSIBLE to ignore that red button that comes up during conversations sometimes - or as I like to call it, the Button of Badassery.
Big red buttons were designed to be pushed. You can't not push the big red button. If you do, you have more self control than anyone ought to. Besides, there's a huge difference between being a dick to someone on your side, and someone who is clearly about to order the guards to shoot your ass.

And just because you're a paragon doesn't mean you can't be pragmatic.
I push both the big red button and the big blue one. I picked the third option in the poll. My Shepard is a very simple one: He is awesome. Whatever decision is the least plausible, and the most hardcore, I make. No one tells me what to do, and when in doubt, I blow it up. This leads to me being a Paragon in the big, important moments, and a Renegade the rest of the time.

Here's what I mean:
Wrex was with me on Noveria, telling me not to let the Rachni live. I was like "screw that, it's a giant bug! It's awesome! And nobody, but nobody, tells me what to do!"

Sovereign attacking? Military strategy would realistically say that avoiding the enemy force and going straight for your intended target is the way to go, i.e. let the Council die. Screw that! I'm in space, with aliens, using the (off-brand) Force, so we clearly threw realism out the window. I want maximum ass-kickery! Charge, Alliance fleet, charge!

And such. Also, I piss people off until they do what I want. This would never work in real life, but that's the fun. Shepard is just that badass.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
My favorite play-throughs consist of choices I would make were I in that situation. So mostly paragon, but I had no problem intimidating the hell out of/beating up people who genuinely deserved such treatment.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Paragade Infiltrator Adrian Shepard, at your service.

Though in the first game, at heart, she was Renegade- the good actions were just because she was genre-savvy enough to know that being a jackass wouldn't get her very far. Come ME2, she is much higher on the Paragon side, and it's genuine- I found an actual turning point in the game, when Garrus (who she pushed off the slope in ME1, and yes, I am invoking that trope) told her she was the one who taught him death was a perfectly good method of revenge. That hit extremely hard, and... yeah. That said, she'll still shoot first if given the change, and has no problem playing the bad cop.

The fact that she is staunchly pro-alien/diplocmacy, and those tend to be Paragon choices, also comes into play.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
My first Shepard was paragon... mostly. He was not a jerk, but he was not not most even tempered guy sometimes. I did max out paragon in both 1 and 2, but there was always a pretty decent amount of renegade on the side.

My second Shepard was renegade... again mostly. She preferred to solve situations with gun-fire instead of diplomacy, but she also had a soft spot for her crew, and did not go out of her way to antagonize most people (most of the time anyway).

VivaciousDeimos

May 1, 2010
MishiSings said:
Woodsey said:
Both!

That's how it turns out anyway, mostly because it is IMPOSSIBLE to ignore that red button that comes up during conversations sometimes - or as I like to call it, the Button of Badassery.
Big red buttons were designed to be pushed. You can't not push the big red button. If you do, you have more self control than anyone ought to. Besides, there's a huge difference between being a dick to someone on your side, and someone who is clearly about to order the guards to shoot your ass.

And just because you're a paragon doesn't mean you can't be pragmatic.
Then let me blow your mind and say that I didn't push all the red buttons...only most of them. Having said that, I play as what I would describe as a neutral good paragon. She'll use the law when it suits her needs, but won't hesitate to break the rules.

And what you said about being pragmatic is very true. I think it's important to remember that Good =/= Nice. There are at least two very distinct Paragon interrupts that result in someone getting pistol whipped, and someone getting punched in the face. So yes, my Shepard will go out of her way to help you, but if you're being a dick a punch to the face is likely.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
I just played as myself. By the end of the first game, I was at about 90% Renegade and 75% Paragon. Apperently being rude, crude, effective, and 100% completely anti-racist made me look indecisive in the game's eyes.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
I start giving in to the Paragon responses when talking to Tali, and from there, it just goes downhill. Being an asshole to her is so hard D:

I'm not a very good Renegade.