Poll: Meat causes cancer :O | What will you do? | Human Evolution vs. Contemporary Science?

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
We all have to die of something. I can think of worse ways to go out then some form of cancer that was brought about by chronic bacon poisoning.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Why do you poll "meat causes cancer" when it's red meat, specifically processed meat that does so?

My answer? Meat I mostly eat is chicken and fish, so this doesn't affect me one bit. If I did eat stuff like bacon, I'd think I'd be more worried about dying from heart attack due to clotted arteries, rather than cancer.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
When I heard about this on the news, I was overcome with the desire to fry up some bacon, take the grease left over, fry it up again, and then eat it while giving the one finger salute and shouting "THERE IS NO FINGER BIG ENOUGH!!!!" at the WHO and the UN by extension (as if I needed another reason to hate both of those organizations). I already eat meat to piss off the self-rightous vegans/vegitarians so whats so bad about doing it to another group.

Of course, You have to moderate your eating just like everything else. That should be obvious.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
I stopped caring about what might, potentially, maybe will kill me when I heard that science discovered that the acts of falling asleep and waking up increases your chance of heart attacks.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
When I was a kid, there was this bubblegum called Turbo. It tasted like all the other gums, and was really nothing special, except for two things: it had picture of a super car in every individually wrapped piece of gum, which made it the best gum ever, and it was a bit bigger than the other gums.
But some parent, unwilling to get their kid Turbo bubblegum, decided to scare the kid away off of bubblegums forever. They told the kid that Turbo was carcinogenic!
Needless to say, the rumor spread like wildfire and within a year, Turbo vanished from the market.
I was very sad, because I was still missing the Ferrari 308 GTS picture, and everyone wanted it, because of Magnum P.I.
So yeah, I chewed a LOT of Turbo. Got no cancer.
R.I.P. Turbo.

Now this carcinogenic scare, I have a feeling it might be something like this. Or maybe they had contaminated samples. But most probable, in my opinion, is that some people have problem wrapping their heads around the fact that correlation does not imply causation.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
BOOM headshot65 said:
When I heard about this on the news, I was overcome with the desire to fry up some bacon, take the grease left over, fry it up again, and then eat it while giving the one finger salute and shouting "THERE IS NO FINGER BIG ENOUGH!!!!" at the WHO and the UN by extension (as if I needed another reason to hate both of those organizations). I already eat meat to piss off the self-rightous vegans/vegitarians so whats so bad about doing it to another group.

Of course, You have to moderate your eating just like everything else. That should be obvious.
You know, I've seen countless post to this affect and I just want to ask, whats with the hate?

WHO didn't declare a worldwide ban on red meat, they didn't announce they'd round up all the pig and cow breeders and cut their throats on live stream, they didn't announce global extermination of all pork and beef cattle.

No, what they did announce was that "Experts from the International Agency of Research on Cancer (IARC), which is part of the WHO, concluded eating 50g of processed meat daily increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18 per cent." and holy fuck it is like they announced explicit plans to rape every orifice of every person who ever even smelled bacon.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
BOOM headshot65 said:
A middle finger to them for... doing research? Reporting their findings? A study turning up results you don't like is not an insult. They did not tell anybody what to do; they merely researched and reported, as is a scientist's damn job.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Oh well, it won't turn me to soy. I'll enjoy my meat, probably get cancer no matter what (genetics say more than likely). It could be depressing or I could just enjoy life, at a moderate pace and try to keep fit and healthy. Everything seems to cause cancer especially excessive indulgence of things raises likelihood. So there's really nothing one can do to avoid it, just mitigate it without making life too bland and tasteless.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Man, now that I think about it, WHO must have some the most jaded motherf***ers in the existence working for them, considering this is the kind of stuff they regularly have to deal with. Reminds me of that business with Ebola crisis in Africa, with people stealing beds from hospitals of infected people and taking infected family members back to home village away from "suspicious" doctors.

I wonder how many people have just quit WHO saying:"Fuq this shit, you might as well call WHO the Sisyphus inc!"?

Jan 29, 2009
Meat's expensive. I don't buy too much except for chicken.

By the way, yes "everything causes cancer," but the study stated that processed meats are responsible for about 1% of cancer related deaths, not statistically insignificant.

In any case, there are worse things meat do than cancer. The beef industry makes so much pollution it's insane, and the only reason most meats are affordable are the incredible government subsidies on corn. People in the United States eat more protein than necessary, and it's not just a case of excess, we're doing damage here. It's decadent. I'm not decrying the "evils of capitalism," it's literally decadent to be able to eat beef all the time.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
"copia facit venenum"
something everyone can live by and which reduces (not eliminates) a lot of health risks :)
in my opinion by far the best way to live (and eat)

sky pies

Oct 24, 2015
Hieronymusgoa said:
"copia facit venenum"
something everyone can live by and which reduces (not eliminates) a lot of health risks :)
in my opinion by far the best way to live (and eat)
A blind guess: "All things in moderation"?

Poll watch and it looks like internet apathy is going strong, I personally side with the people who acknowledge the research but still intend to eat meat. I had a burger today, and it had bacon in it - first time I ate bacon in ages, and by the end of the day I felt pretty weird in the tummy because of it. It remains easy for me to sidestep this new source of cancer. Viola~

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
you're correct :)

and same for me. i don't eat "wurst" and stuff like that anyway. only unprocessed meat like 95% of the time.
and i eat vegetarian stuff 2/3 of the time at least.