Poll: Megaman: Thoughts, Opinions, Rants

balimuzz

Apr 15, 2009
So, I was just played through Megaman 2, and I beat it in about 2 hours. It was my first time playing a Megaman game, and I actually had expected a much greater difficulty. I was all ready to come on here and rant about it, but I did have a lot of fun playing it, so I won't do that. Now, let's get to the point: what do the fine folks here at the Escapist have to say about Megaman? I played the Megaman Zero games on GBA, and liked them, and now that I'm done with 2, I'm going to download 9 off of WiiWare. Feel free to talk about any aspect of Megaman that you want, including the Battle Network games.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Ha! Have fun with 9. 2 was easy, but 9 is going to rape your face off. That being said, I've only played 1,2,9 and the first one on the SNES. All were great, except I can't beat 4 of the bosses in Mega Man 9 so I gave up on that.

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
Umm what about the legends series??? I will not vote until you put the legends series in!!!!

balimuzz

Apr 15, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
Ha! Have fun with 9. 2 was easy, but 9 is going to rape your face off. That being said, I've only played 1,2,9 and the first one on the SNES. All were great, except I can't beat 4 of the bosses in Mega Man 9 so I gave up on that.
I'm glad that it's hard. Frankly, I was pretty disappointed in 2's ability to rape faces off. I'd never played an 8-bit Megaman game before, and I still owned it. I hope that 9 can have me playing for a lot longer.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
The 8-bit Megaman games are the only ones I like.

Of course I do think Megaman is overrated. But only slightly.

Jul 9, 2008
*Disclaimer: Keep in mind, I got into most classic series, including Megaman, late, so the nostalgia you all have for the original games, I have for the new ones.*

Anyway, I really liked the Battle Network series, with 3 and 5 being the highpoints. It's probably because they hold a special place for me: I started playing them right when I was beginning to get into RPGs, and BN is an RPG series in the same sense Pokemon is. Also, although I like the ideas behind the original Megaman games, I never really got into side scrollers.

EDIT:Although worth mentioning, I also really like the Zero series.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I started with Mega Man X back when I was just starting middle school. It still holds a very dear place in my heart, along with Mega Man 8, which I played years later. I only just recently experienced the older 8-bit ones when I played through Mega Man 2 (using the fight order in the above video, no less), and it's also a lot of fun, even without a nostalgia filter.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I've played just about every meg man game there is and I love it. My absolute favorites are Mega Man 3, X, X3, X4, Legends, And battle network 2. They may not bo the most innovative games, but they sure are fun and challenging. I can't count how many times I have beaten Mega Man X, and Legends (or 64 for N64 peeps) is one of the most brilliant Mega man games ever. I was sorta pissed when I found out they remade Legends for the PSP BUT it's only ou in japan *weeps*.

VTSK

Jun 3, 2008
I must admit, I despise it. I'm not a big fan of retro games to begin with, but Mega-man is one of my most hated games. The controls feel stiff, the gameplay just annoys me, and Mega-Man himself... well... he looks awefull. I'm not sure if they could have made him look more bland without making him a stick man. Also (and I know this critisizm will seem harsh, as it is a retro game) the story sucks. I just find that there isn't anything to like about it.

Baltist

Apr 15, 2009
MegaMan in my opinion just didn't do too well when they jumped to 3D (excluding Legends). the jump made the X series feel a little slower then the earlier titles (X 1-6)and controls while still the same, made me feel like i was trying to accurately control a drunk in the middle of a war zone. loved Legends, and was kinda hoping for 3rd installment.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Mega Man has gone the way of Sonic...he's been whored out so much in so many horrible games (*cough* mega man turn based rpg *cough*) that he really just needs to stop.

The only times Mega Man is actually good, just like Sonic, is when we are revisiting that old style of gameplay found in the original series.

balimuzz

Apr 15, 2009
Ghostwise said:
I remember beating all of the original megaman games on the NES back in the day. Coudldn't do it if my life depended on it now. I'm sure of it.
I bet you could. I'd never played an 8-bit Megaman game before that, and I owned it. You should go back and try. I think you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
only megamans i played were megaman X i think ans megaman x3 and all the battle networks so iam going with megaman battle network