Poll: Metal Heads: What should I buy?

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
right now im trying to decide what to get, I'm torn between two bands, Children of Bodom and in flames. As far as CoB, Hatebreeder is the only album I don't have. In flames, Clayman is the only album i have.

To get an idea of what i like, i think follow the reaper was the best album bodom made. Something wild was 50% REALLY FUKKIN AWESOME 50% average, Are you dead yet was consistently alright, blooddrunk had a couple good songs and the rest where not bad but not good either.
As for in flames i really liked clayman, but i'm assuming that's not considered their "best" album, so I ask you, fellow metal heads, what should i purchase with this remaining 10 dollars itunes credit that i hold?

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Blackwater Park album by Opeth. Or Catch 33 by Meshuggah. Latter might be a bit hard to find though.

Inconnu24

Apr 6, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
You need Whoracle.
Labyrinth said:
Blackwater Park album by Opeth.
Blackwater Park comes highly recommended. I'd also like to suggest Death's The Sound of Perseverance.

...if you really only want In Flames or CoB; get Whoracle.

Whistler777

Nov 14, 2008
I know you're probably not going to listen to me, because no one else is going to recommend the same as I, but I'll do it anyway.

The only good In Flames album, from a technical standpoint, is Lunar Strain. However, the Subterranean EP is also very good and in a similar vein to LS. You ought to know that they features a different (and far more talented) vocalist than all other In Flames albums, and really show what can be done with melodic metal.

As far as I'm aware of, few people know that these two albums even exist, because they're too busy listening to the bands oh-so-shitty later work.

ExodusinFlames

Apr 19, 2009
Go with In Flames, as long as its not the most recent two albums you're ok.
Though I have to agree with the comment marking Opeth as a must have.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Guitarmasterx7 said:
right now im trying to decide what to get, I'm torn between two bands, Children of Bodom and in flames. As far as CoB, Hatebreeder is the only album I don't have. In flames, Clayman is the only album i have.

To get an idea of what i like, i think follow the reaper was the best album bodom made. Something wild was 50% REALLY FUKKIN AWESOME 50% average, Are you dead yet was consistently alright, blooddrunk had a couple good songs and the rest where not bad but not good either.
As for in flames i really liked clayman, but i'm assuming that's not considered their "best" album, so I ask you, fellow metal heads, what should i purchase with this remaining 10 dollars itunes credit that i hold?
In flames.

Easily.

Tears of a Tree

Apr 23, 2009
opeth all the way

to the OP: try listening to some metal that isnt mainstream, right now youre just scratching the surface with bodom and in flames. I redommend...

for death metal: Amon Amarth, Morbid Angel, Dark Tranquility, At the Gates, Bolt Thrower, Sepultura, etc.

for black metal go for Burzum, Mayhem, Emperor, Dark Throne, Immortal, Bathory, Enslaved, etc.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Carcass - "Heartwork"
It's one great album. I also agree with the guy that said Bolt Thrower, if by any chance you choose Bolt Thrower, go with "Mercenary" or the "Honour, Valour, Pride" album.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
After listening to some cuts off iTunes demos i decided to go with In flames- colony

and just to give some personal thoughts on this thread

Tears of a Tree said:
opeth all the way

to the OP: try listening to some metal that isnt mainstream, right now youre just scratching the surface with bodom and in flames. I redommend...

for death metal: Amon Amarth, Morbid Angel, Dark Tranquility, At the Gates, Bolt Thrower, Sepultura, etc.

for black metal go for Burzum, Mayhem, Emperor, Dark Throne, Immortal, Bathory, Enslaved, etc.
I have at least one album by all of these bands, with the exception of morbid angel(even then ive got a few tracks) and Bathory, who ive never heard of. A few of people recommended bolt thrower. They're kind of hit and miss with me. Amon Amarth however, blew me away. I recommend you guys check out the "with oden at our side" album, it's intense (lots of tremolo picking though.) I listen to a lot heavier, i'm just really into the melodic death/black metal right now. Though once you get to the napalm death/cannibal corpse level is where i pussy out lol. oh, and opeth is way more mainstreamy than in flames.
Whistler777 said:
The only good In Flames album, from a technical standpoint, is Lunar Strain...You ought to know that they features a different (and far more talented) vocalist than all other In Flames albums, and really show what can be done with melodic metal.
I listened to some lunar strain tracks. I dunno, maybe its just what older melodic metal sounds like, but it seems like the vocalist breaks time... like... a LOT (sort of like the red light tracks in something wild) I prefer the more refined tone of the newer vocalist. The whoracle/colony albums seem to be their "prime" IMO

Thanks for the help everyone!