Poll: Microsoft leaning towards pay as you go computing.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/12/29/microsoft.metered.computing/index.html
Microsoft says: "Rather than suffering through less-than-adequate performance for a significant portion of the life of a computer, a user can increase performance level over time, at a slight premium of payments," the application reads. "When the performance level finally reaches its maximum and still better performance is required, then the user may upgrade to a new computer, running at a relatively low performance level, probably with little or no change in the cost of use."

I don't think this is a good move by Microsoft. This also might signal the start of a new trend that all computer companies may start following. What do my fellow Escapists think?

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Wow, this would definitely suck for those who use the computer a lot. $1.25/hour for a gaming computer is ridiculous.

Edit: I think that I would have a problem playing a game on a computer, knowing that I was being charged based on the amount of time I play. I would probably end up convincing myself to not play games as much.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Ranooth said:
Ok i was wrong, DRM isnt going to be the cause of WW3, this will be.
Quoting For Truth

What? I hate acronyms, they're so ambiguous.

As for this, I own a Mac, so I'm not sure if this is going to affect me in any way?

Hevoo

Nov 29, 2008
People really need to read things before they start spouting off crap.

GothmogII said:
Just great...well, better start stocking up on hardware now then...
Why?

Im really sure Intel, AMD, and Nvidia are still going to make parts. Plus stocking up on Hardware is retarded, once you buy something 2 months later its already consider old. Also Microsoft does not make hardware, and they can't buy companies that do, because of anti trust policies.

Brokkr said:
Wow, this would definitely suck for those who use the computer a lot. $1.25/hour for a gaming computer is ridiculous.

Edit: I think that I would have a problem playing a game on a computer, knowing that I was being charged based on the amount of time I play. I would probably end up convincing myself to not play games as much.
OMG, you clearly didn't read this article, they have been thinking about this for a long time and this is old news. They are still going to sell there OS, because how are companies going to be able to afford a computer? It would not be cost affective, they would have to buy OS. I and bet you that Microsoft would not pigeon hole its self just by using this sales model. Read below this is what it would be used for.

The application of this could make Microsoft billions, It would be like them putting phone booths all over the place. But instead of phone booths it would be computers. You pay to use the computer for a hour to do some work or other odds and ends anywhere and not have to carry around a laptop or anything. They would be like ATMs, or phone booths of the 21st century.

Lasty THE ONLY REASON THEY PATENT THIS IS SO THAT NO ONE ELSE COULD TAKE THE IDEA.

It maybe one of the best ideas ever.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
it's a scam. they are really just threatening to slow down your computer if you don't pay them.. which is what their current OS already does anyways.

it's protection money

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
FUCK NO!!!
Goddamnit, what happened to purchasing a product actually giving you ownership of said product!?

TerraMGP

Jun 25, 2008
Considering the ground Linex is gaining I think its the worst idea ever. They are already making plenty of money fleeting people with double-releases of games and X box live (argue if you want, Multiplayer on PCs is free.)

I find it odd since it sounds JUST like the kind of thing Apple would pull, and the main reason apple does so poorly. It ALSO sounds like it would destroy the vast majority of their business-based revenue.

RyuGaiden

Nov 20, 2008
Wow, this is idiotic. Since most of Microsoft's stuff is defective-by-design (their DRM in particular), this will just be another scam.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
It'll never happen. The number of people who would be stupid enough to buy a computer that forces them to only run Microsoft-approved hardware would be minuscule. Hardware manufacturers would fight against it as hard as the users. Consequently, there's virtually no support at the high or low end for a practice like that to manifest.

If they decided to enforce it on the software level through Microsoft Windows, that would be the last straw that pushes me to make the transition to Linux.

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
Well I don't think I'm the only one who just pulled out a hunting rifle...preparations for the computing apocalypse will begin immediately!

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Windows piracy is already standing next to a cliff and this just might give it the last step it needs to fall and break a leg... if they restrict anything I want to do on MY computer, I'm gonna throw rocks at Microsoft HQ windows... Seriously, I would have to pay for my computer use so that a company that makes the most unreliable console could offer me parts? Seriously, they're either looking at world domination or are bored of assault free lives... Even if this completely idiotic plan comes into play, don't they think that the dozens of cracking and hacking companies won't be sharpening their nails for this one. There's always the function of pulling out your internet cable and just avoid their radar but this is insane. With the amount of time my computer is on I'd go bankrupt.