Poll: Minecraft 1.8 Endless Ocean

Feb 18, 2009
I recently got back into Minecraft with the 1.8 update, thought I'd have a look around at the new features. Opened a new world and spawned on an island in an ocean biome. I thought this was pretty cool as I could have an island fortress, so I got to mining and crafting, as you do, and built myself a nice little house (so glad clay is more abundant now). Eventually I realised that passive mobs don't spawn in ocean biomes and decided to go look for a mainland.

This ocean is huge.

Travelled for a day in one direction and didn't find an end. Went to the nether, wore out 3 iron picks digging a straight tunnel, and when I resurfaced there was still ocean as far as the eye could see.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Can you get out of the ocean or is it endless? I really can't be bothered to reseed, I've got a sick lighthouse going at the moment. Although perhaps this could be the impetus I need to stop playing Minecraft and get on with some work, haha.

Reynaerdinjo

Feb 5, 2010
While my biggest ocean was not endless, it was huuuge and I travelled for a few ingame days by boat to find some land. Was quite happy when I finally bumped my boat in the shore.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
They're cocking huge, I've never had the patience to travel one further than half a Minecraft day.

Fairly certain they aren't endless.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
No, can't say it has. Very strange. Maybe just keep on going in your boat in a straight line and you'll find america with a little village for you to conquer and then build yourown better town and cut down all the trees and kill all the animals an-
Nevermind.

Jun 11, 2008
Em you could just go on to Minecraft wiki. If you had of you would have seen that they say that ocean biomes can have water up to 10k blocks.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
One of my maps had a huge ocean. I put my character in a boat and sailed him away.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
I don't think that the ocean is endless but I have heard that with 1.8 biomes are now larger.
Also when doing the Nether thing you may have gone past land.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
The worst biome I spawned in was a vast tundra back in 1.7.3 while using the larger biome mod took me 7 days to find my way to Taiga and I wasn't even using the largest biome setting.

Feb 18, 2009
Glademaster said:
Em you could just go on to Minecraft wiki. If you had of you would have seen that they say that ocean biomes can have water up to 10k blocks.
Yeah I saw that but really hoped someone would have been in this situation and found the shore. The alternative is that I have to go 1250 blocks in the nether to get out of the ocean, which is 40 stacks of netherack... I guess that's doable.

Jun 11, 2008
Grinnbarr said:
Glademaster said:
Yeah I saw that but really hoped someone would have been in this situation and found the shore. The alternative is that I have to go 1250 blocks in the nether to get out of the ocean, which is 40 stacks of netherack... I guess that's doable.
Well that is a max but if you really want a shortcut I am sure you could find a program that generates a map of your world. I know people do it for search for diamonds I don't see why you can't do it for finding main land.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Well I've taken the adventuring part of the Adventure update quite seriously. No permanent establishments or dwellings, carry a furnace and workbench everywhere with me and so on and done a lot of sailing to get around/stay safe from mobs at night.

Can't say I've been in an ocean that big though.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
They aren't endless, but they are HUGE, and I mean huge, you can spend a few days in game without seeing another bit of land.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Crossed one in creative mode that covered four entire maps - even flying over it took ages.

They're not actually endless though, they just seem like it.`

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Grinnbarr said:

Seed please!

I like the idea of large oceans, I'd actually like to see minecraft spawn actual worlds, with oceans and continents rather than randomly stitched together "biomes".

Feb 18, 2009
Continuity said:
Grinnbarr said:

Seed please!

I like the idea of large oceans, I'd actually like to see minecraft spawn actual worlds, with oceans and continents rather than randomly stitched together "biomes".
I typed 'mostly' into the seed box, dunno the number. I wouldn't expect continents or anything though. It's just... well. Ocean.

Feb 18, 2009
Glademaster said:
Grinnbarr said:
Glademaster said:
Well that is a max but if you really want a shortcut I am sure you could find a program that generates a map of your world. I know people do it for search for diamonds I don't see why you can't do it for finding main land.
Thanks, it completely worked. I actually shouted in joy when I stepped out of the portal and saw a cow. So there you have it. The ocean is not endless. Thread closed I guess.