Poll: MineCraft? Scary?

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Really people... I want to know what's so "scary" about minecraft... because in my opinion Minecraft is about as scary as Ghostbusters NES is good...

Now I want decent points.

(and for the record, I found dead space to be fun but not scary in the least)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I think the possibility of burning down my house [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs], or starship enterprise, is simply terrifying.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
thiosk said:
I think the possibility of burning down my house, or starship enterprise, is simply terrifying.
No, what I'm talking about is what my "friends" say... they freak out every time a creeper is right behind them and they don't know it's there

Fighterblaze

Feb 17, 2009
Well the game itself isn't scary, but when you've just finished building an epic masterpiece and turn around only to see a creeper pop out of nowhere and take over an hours work to hell and back, is truly terrifying.

That and the GODDAMNED SPIDERS!

*Edit* Actually, the surreal sounds you hear in unexplored caves are creepy as all hell.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
WOPR said:
thiosk said:
I think the possibility of burning down my house, or starship enterprise, is simply terrifying.
No, what I'm talking about is what my "friends" say... they freak out every time a creeper is right behind them and they don't know it's there
And that's not scary? I'm not ashamed to admit I jumped out of my chair screaming the first time a creeper snuck up on me and exploded. Also, the first time I heard the cave sounds (and for a while afterwards) set shivers up my spine.

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
Minecraft has been the only game to make me jump in...as long as I can remember.

It seems to lure you into a false sense of safety, and then there's a sizzle and you die.
Also there's more penalty for death in this game than there is for most others. Running back to where you died at night without weapons can sometimes be quite a trial.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Well... I wouldn't go so far as to call it "scary". It doesn't scare me like I was scared of some scenes involving Alma in F.E.A.R.

It's definetely unnerving though. When you're down in a tunnel, and you suddenly get one of those sounds it makes. Stuff like that.

Also, your specific example involving your friends and an unnoticed creeper sneaking up behind them is a very common thing.

It's not so much scary as it is starteling though.

TL;DR:
Minecraft isn't scary, but it's unnerving and starteling.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Fighterblaze said:
Well the game itself isn't scary, but when you've just finished building an epic masterpiece and turn around only to see a creeper pop out of nowhere and take over an hours work to hell and back, is truly terrifying.

That and the GODDAMNED SPIDERS!
I'd say that's more annoying then scary

theComposer said:
WOPR said:
thiosk said:
And that's not scary? I'm not ashamed to admit I jumped out of my chair screaming the first time a creeper snuck up on me and exploded. Also, the first time I heard the cave sounds (and for a while afterwards) set shivers up my spine.
No it's not scary, and if you think that's scary you really need to play something with a rating higher then "E"

Startling? yes, I'll admit that when I don't see a mine in Fallout 3 and hear this giant BOOM from no where while listening to music I'll jump then go "crap! I'm in a minefield..."

but it's not "scary"

people need to look up the difference between "scary" and "startling"

Dead Space = Startling
Amnesia = Scary

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
Not 'scary' per-se...

But the game does have some pants-changing moments.
Such as:
Being Creeper-dropped is never, ever pleasant.
Spelunking a cave system you have yet to explore, and you hear plenty of monsters. (Skellys always get to me, arrow shooting bastards...)
The Nether the first time you go there.
And of course, being reckless in a very dangerous situation.

Keep in mind, all the above examples are taken from the perspective of hard mode.
When monsters can 2-4 shot kill you (Or instagib if we include Creepers) you learn your mortality very very quickly and become quite self-aware of it.

In short, it's probably not true 'scary' and more like 'instinct of self preservation', if that makes any sense. o_O

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Varchld said:
Minecraft has been the only game to make me jump in...as long as I can remember.

It seems to lure you into a false sense of safety, and then there's a sizzle and you die.
Also there's more penalty for death in this game than there is for most others. Running back to where you died at night without weapons can sometimes be quite a trial.
Dude, play Amnesia... or Silent Hill- no actually scratch that

Play Amnesia or Eternal Darkness, those are the ONLY games to ever scare me (with the exception of Darkseed, but that's because old games get at me more then new ones)

And I hate to be the person to pull this, I mean I REALLY hate it but- graphics; that's all I really need to say, Cubivore was more terrifying in that sense for a cube based game but that's because you were being chased by things that would eat you in your sleep that you couldn't kill because they had 2+ more limbs then you!

but yeah, the cutesy graphics of it (it's "charm") no, and I'm guessing I'd be called crazy for calling Mario 64 scary, but "those boos that come out of no where, and compared to minecraft it looks so real!"

-see what I'm getting at?

I think people are giving it too much credit because it's an indie game is all

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
theComposer said:
I'm not ashamed to admit I jumped out of my chair screaming the first time a creeper snuck up on me and exploded. Also, the first time I heard the cave sounds (and for a while afterwards) set shivers up my spine.
No it's not scary, and if you think that's scary you really need to play something with a rating higher then "E"

Startling? yes, I'll admit that when I don't see a mine in Fallout 3 and hear this giant BOOM from no where while listening to music I'll jump then go "crap! I'm in a minefield..."

but it's not "scary"

people need to look up the difference between "scary" and "startling"[/quote]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^F'ed that bit up, just pretend it's a Quote >.<

Seriosuly though. If you know the difference yourself, then you shouldn't have made this topic in the first place.

Your whole point, according to your opening post, is to find out what people find scary about it.

Also, insulting a person for having a lower threshold for scariness then yourself is... well... especially when your own friends, according to your own words, get the same jitters.

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
WOPR said:
theComposer said:
WOPR said:
thiosk said:

but it's not "scary"

Dead Space = Startling
Amnesia = Scary
Well, the sounds in Minecraft are scary as hell. I almost pissed my pants when I was in the Nether and a ghast (a flying ghost that shoots fireballs) destroyed my portal and there were zombie pigmen and ghasts everywhere, all screaming as a rain of fireballs flew towards me u.u

Those screams creep me out.

And cave-exploring is also scary to me when it's almost pitch black in an area and you hear monster sounds.

But I think how much death can actualy matter in Minecraft adds a lot to the scariness.

I don't actualy know the definition of scary, but the feeling I had doing these things in Minecraft were similiar to the ones that I had playing the Dark Amnesia demo.
(I think I spell similiar wrong..)

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Walking around in a cave without torches on hard with headphones is pretty fucking scary.

ilspooner

Apr 13, 2010
Minecraft is not scary. Just frustrating. Like when you go to your glasshouse and find a creeper. Kaboom. Or when you fall in your lava moat. :mad:

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
WOPR said:

but it's not "scary"

Dead Space = Startling
Amnesia = Scary
Fine, we'll call it startling. But I don't jump out of my chair if someone sneaks up behind me and shoots me in an FPS. My point is there's something about Minecraft that a loud noise from behind you more...startling that most other games.

If you want scary, the sounds that Ghasts make in the Nether are more than a bit unsettling.

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
Well, part of the scare of creepers is that you can't hear them, and they break a lot of stuff. They aren't too scary in themselves, but the "Shit shit shit everything I built is about to explode!" factor is certainly alarming.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Minecraft isn't scary, as such, but there is a certain, unsettling quality about some of it...

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Just a question have you played it? I haven't but before you start criticizing everyone for thinking that it is scary, try playing it.

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
WOPR said:
Really people... I want to know what's so "scary" about minecraft... because in my opinion Minecraft is about as scary as Ghostbusters NES is good...

Now I want decent points.

(and for the record, I found dead space to be fun but not scary in the least)
Minecraft no,
Dead Space, yes (it embodies a lot of my own phobias, adding in the monsters doesn't help me >_<)

And dude.. Is that guy in your image from that one Starsiege game(whose name I forget)?! He was a total bad-ass cyborg thingy..

Silver

Jun 17, 2008
WOPR, did you know that some countries have this notion that people are different, and have different (so called) opinions on stuff. It's a rather radical idea proposed by some philosophers that not everyone agrees on the same things, so what's scary to some might not be scary to others, it's an alien concept, to be sure, but some people might not find Amnesia scary, and some people might find Dead Space scary (or, heavens forbid, actually GOOD, can you imagine?).

Yeah, minecraft is one of the scariest things I've played lately. You just get so invested in it.