Poll:MTG Return to Ravnica Guilds

Chknboy

Sep 10, 2008
The pre-release for Return to Ravnica starts this Friday at midnight. As those involved in the Magic: The Gathering scene are most likely aware of, this event is different from other pre-releases as you get to choose one of 5 Ravnica guilds to align yourself with. So as this is going to be my first sealed deck/pre-release event I've gone to, I was wondering what guild my fellow MtG players were going to choose to represent. Also feel free to discuss what you feel are the strengths and weaknesses of the guilds, or any other basic Return to Ravnica banter.

Chknboy

Sep 10, 2008
I'm basically in agreement with you on your observations, but I do believe that the Detain mechanic that Azorius has is going to be really annoying. Most of the people at my pre-release have signed up for Golgari, whether it's just for the promo or because they think it's going to be the best at the tournament still remains to be seen. I could see some cool synergy with Unleash and the Golgari promo Corpsejack Menace, but I think by the time you have the right mana to slap him down, your Unleashed dudes could have already been out on the field swinging.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Feh. I'm still pissed Wizards stopped releasing proper fat packs. Some of those novels were really, really good, and especially the Kamigawa and Ravnica trilogies were prime stuff. What's the use of returning to the greatest block ever if you're not creating a compelling story to go with it? :(

Anyways, I prefer Orzhov, and since they don't appear to be in the initial set I think I'll pass on this one.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
HNnnnnnnnnnnggh hHnnngggggggg ORZHOVA AND BOROS I WANT TO HAVE YOUR CHILDREENNNNNNNNNNNNN

^ That pretty much sums up the guilds that I want to see.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Metalhandkerchief said:
Sonicron said:
Feh. I'm still pissed Wizards stopped releasing proper fat packs. Some of those novels were really, really good, and especially the Kamigawa and Ravnica trilogies were prime stuff. What's the use of returning to the greatest block ever if you're not creating a compelling story to go with it? :(

Anyways, I prefer Orzhov, and since they don't appear to be in the initial set I think I'll pass on this one.
Um, every set prior to when fat packs was even a thing had novels. And I imagine they still do. You just have to get them from WotC/ bookstores. Nothing beats the slew of novels starting with Tempest and ending with Apocalypse. That's Weatherlight -> Tempest -> Stronghold -> Exodus -> Urza's Saga -> Urza's Legacy -> Urza's Destiny -> Mercadian Masques -> Nemesis -> Prophecy -> Invasion -> Planeshift -> Apocalypse.

Those books and the card sets themselves were the golden days of Magic: The Gathering. And ever since, I've been hoping someone would step up and make a movie adaptation of the stories about the fantastic characters who were the crew on The Weatherlight.

Anyone who are interested in Magic at all should read the books from back when Magic had a soul. (Ravinca was good also, like I said earlier)
Thanks a bunch for that list of novels, I'll see if I can get them. I originally got into Magic around the time of Urza's Destiny, but at that age I was just interested in the cards and never even knew there were novels.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Metalhandkerchief said:
Sonicron said:

Um, every set prior to when fat packs was even a thing had novels. And I imagine they still do. You just have to get them from WotC/ bookstores. Nothing beats the slew of novels starting with Tempest and ending with Apocalypse. That's Weatherlight -> Tempest -> Stronghold -> Exodus -> Urza's Saga -> Urza's Legacy -> Urza's Destiny -> Mercadian Masques -> Nemesis -> Prophecy -> Invasion -> Planeshift -> Apocalypse.

Those books and the card sets themselves were the golden days of Magic: The Gathering. And ever since, I've been hoping someone would step up and make a movie adaptation of the stories about the fantastic characters who were the crew on The Weatherlight.

Anyone who are interested in Magic at all should read the books from back when Magic had a soul. (Ravinca was good also, like I said earlier)
I'd really love to read those books, but what cycle novels are you actually referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_novels

Are you talking about the Artifacts, Ice Age (?), Masquerade and Invasion cycles? Cuz you are using the expansion names (some novels happen to share those names). What novels are connected to the Weatherlight, Tempest, Stronghold and Exodus expansions?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I would go Boros, but I have to wait for them.
Of the available choices though, Azorius seems the most tolerable.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Sonicron said:
What's the use of returning to the greatest block ever if you're not creating a compelling story to go with it? :(
?
Scars of Mirrodin already happened dude.
Innistrad much like Kamigawa was the horrible block right after the awesomeness that is Mirrodin.
Ravnica was pretty damn good, and its return looks promising.

Chknboy

Sep 10, 2008
For sealed/draft I'm looking forward to Rakdos, a lot of people say they have a terrible mechanic but I think red/black is going to do well due to it's awesome removal at common.

Captcha: have fun
Yes...that is exactly what I'm planning on for this weekend.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I play mostly black, but I also enjoy blue or green. I went into the "preview" Duel Deck Izzet vs. Golgari thinking I'd fall in love with Golgari again, but it was Izzet that blew me (and any opponents) away. Just the right mix of blue meddling and red damage output.

Since I really am focused on black, it would have to be Rakdos or Golgari, where Rakdos would probably be the better choice for a tournament setting. Thing is, I really don't like red.

Stubborn as I am, I think I'll stick to Golgari until Orzhov rears its pretty messed up head once more.

I like the Detain ability of Azorius. For the time being, though, I'll let my cop friends do the Azorius, while I focus on doing dirty things to their graveyards.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Metalhandkerchief said:
Manji187 said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
Sonicron said:

I'd really love to read those books, but what cycle novels are you actually referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_novels

Are you talking about the Artifacts, Ice Age (?), Masquerade and Invasion cycles? Cuz you are using the expansion names (some novels happen to share those names). What novels are connected to the Weatherlight, Tempest, Stronghold and Exodus expansions?
They are to a lesser extent included in the Artifacts cycle. I am unsure if (and I don't think they are) anywhere in the Ice Age cycle, which I haven't even read. Artifacts -> Masques -> Invasion is 10 books in total, and are where you'll find the continuing storyline of the Weatherlight, though Artifacts is in the beginning more about Urza and Mishra, but they (especially Urza) plays a very important part for Weatherlight.
I see. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Which one is your favorite by the way? Or are they all really good?

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Izzet for me.
I only started relitivly recently, so I got my green white deck I thought I would go for something a bit different so izzet it is. For the second event I am going with red black although I have a feeling I am going to end up with a green black before too long. Been playing it with the duel decks and finding it to be very fun milling myself and drudging all the monsters I want to play with.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Strangely enough the last block I played in was the original Ravnica block. I still have my badass Boros deck. Boros FTW!