Poll: Multiplayer + RPG: two great tastes that taste great together?

thebreadbinman

Jan 24, 2010
I think fable was onto something when you could run around and murder people and their families together, but they need to bring out something that mixes oblivion's oblivionness and Saints Rows multiplayer (With red faction/bad company destruction)

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
WillSimplyBe said:
gim73 said:
Well, they have multiplayer RPGs, they are called MMORPGers. Seriously though, FF6 had a multiplayer option. You could have the second player control two of your party members, and you could control the first two. Kinda lame, but then again... IT'S A FRAKKIN RPG! Most rpgs I play have lots of menus. That generally means the game is paused when they have the menu open. Multiplayer and pause have been eternal enemies. Look at neverwinter nights.

Besides, multiplayer is NOT a good taste. Generally, it tastes like balls, since most multiplayer games involve some 10 year old boy trying to lower his sac over your mouth.

Turned based RPGs and this really suck, but I could see where it might be useful if you had somebody controlling your allies in dragon age. Personally, I wouldn't trust them with my potions. Also, if the entire game paused whenever either of us paused, that would get rather annoying quick.
There is a difference between Multiplayer and Massively Multiplayer. There are also plenty of RPGs where there is little to no pausing mid-combat, like the tales games, or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles(the first one...-_-), or Infinite Undiscovery, which actually could have been even better with multiplayer, since it had added focus on partnership. Be aware, I really was not talking about the standard turn based RPGs, but the more action oriented ones. I'd love more games that had that kind of connectivity like the marvel ultimate alliance games, or a(NOT Massively) multiplayer system for The Elder Scrolls games.
I heard about Crystal Chronicles and it's 4 player system. Got a Gamecube? Got a GBA with the connector? Have 3 other friends with the same? Well now you can play 4 player crystal chronicles! From what I've seen it's more of an adventure game with a few rpg elements, a la zelda.

Well, if the tales games are able to pull off optional multiplayer then Star Ocean should be able to also, since their combat systems are very simular.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
If there's a RPG with great gameplay, story, focus, and it has multiplayer as an added bonus, then I approve, but when the build a game around multiplayer, neglecting all the stuff I just mentioned, then I probably wouldn't like it.
Baldur's Gate 2 is a prime example of how to do it right IMO.

sogortheogre

Apr 20, 2009
I liked playing Neverwinter Nights with friends on multiplayer. I always thought that multiplayer for most RPGs would be fun, though it would be hard(er) to do with RPGs that only use TBC.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Lots of games need more multi-player features. RPG games are one of many which would easily incorporate a second or even a fourth player and there seems to be no real need to limit it to just a single player campaign.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
MMORPG
Surely this problem has already been resolved- and even without MMOs, you still have very easy ways to implement multiplayer in RPGs. See Titan Quest.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I would like to clarify that my earlier support was, indeed, for local multiplayer. Someone sitting on the couch with you has less of a chance of ruining immersion than someone over an internet connection.

Example...

There are two people playing that. It's an aspect of multiplayer done very, very right.

May 28, 2009
Looking at humans online, to me it seems obvious why it shouldn't happen. Is it compulsory? I'd never buy the bloody game if it was.

I have fun in singleplayer. Once others enter the equation everything suddenly stops being fun, especially when someone attempts what they believe is "conversing", opening with a racist/homophobic statement several octaves too high to be worthy of my attention.

Though I wouldn't mind it locally, because at least I've learnt to put up with the worst of my friends' idiosyncrasies.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Axolotl said:
Aren't RPGs inherently multiplayer?
Proper ones are anyway
This.

The holy grail of online gaming is the actual translation of a tabletop rpg into the online space. It's never been done perfectly but I suspect someday it might.

There was a website called Ghost Orb that was going to make a strong effort to bridge that gap at one point, complete with a DM client and all sorts of other VOIP goodies but after googling it now it seems to have vanished. The tabletop will always be the best rpg experience but for those of us who've had members move away for various reasons we would still like to be able to play together.

One day. One day.