Poll: Musical instruments

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
I play piano, compose my own songs, play stuff like requiem for a dream, etc etc.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
I play piano and have started taking guitar lessons recently.

Sadly, there's something wrong with my fingers because they are always sort-of stiff (when I stretch out my fingers, it feels like my nerves are stretching. It's weird.) so even though I've been taking piano for 5 years, I'm not very good. Don't get me wrong, not "struggling to play 'Twinkle, twinkle little star' not very good, but not where I would like to be. Also, I find that more percussive songs like the "Maple Leaf Rag" are easier to play.

Guitar is more fun for me, because it's not a matter of dexterity and I can just play chords.

Dargocitfer

PhD in Mad Science
Aug 30, 2011
I taught myself to play the guitar, which was a mistake, because I didn't know how to play it. So I was a crappy teacher.

I would never have gone to me! (Shamelessly stolen.)

All seriousness aside, I don't really "play" anything, at least not well. I have an acoustic guitar, but it's gathering dust. I've tried the drums, bass, piano, guitar, harmonica, trumpet, ocarina, and even bagpipes! I just don't have the patience to sit down and practice, I guess. I love music, but just not the... *process* of making music.

toolateforsundown

Dec 17, 2011
I hope I'm not the first one to point this out: it's spelled "saxophone".

I also play guitar, but I'm not very good at it. And by that I mean I could play rhythm for just about everything I listen too; that stuff usually isn't nearly as hard as it sounds...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I play the violin and have been for about 15 years now, and I just play in the community college orchestra just for fun. Every once in a while I will play duets with a friend of mine just so I don't get rusty.

I'm learning the cello at the moment, and it's a lot of fun. The only shitty part is mentally 'un-doing' a lot of violin techniques while playing that beast, who just recently got a name, d'oh well.

s2dio

May 21, 2008
I love my guitar... It's my samurai sword. Even if it's uncomfortable to play (it's a Jackson King V), I still get amp'd up every time I strap it on. I bought it from a crack head in 98... Best deal ever.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I own a bass guitar and played trumpet in highschool.

Haven't pick up my bass in like 5 years. It was a mistake buying it really.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I've played the tenor banjo for a fair few years now, and I've got a cittern for doing accompaniments. I also own an electric guitar, though at the minute that's more for show than actually being able to play it.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
Bass guitar!
Well, and regular guitar too, but my passion has always been bass guitar.
It's what i was born to do...

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
My dominant instrument is the acoustic guitar but I do a touch of keyboard and I'm starting the mandolin and ukelele. I would love to start up the banjo, mind you. Gotta love George Formby.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I've played bass guitar and banjo since I was about 11 years old. My twin brother has played drums. We figured identical twins would make a good rhythm section since our natural beats are the same.

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
I always wanted to play the piano, but my hands are just too small. *sigh* So I'm left to just enjoy piano music.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
If it has four strings I'm there!

The uke and the bass are my instrument of choice.

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
Main is guitar (since 1988), but i also got a bass guitar and now an Arturia keyboard - sounds awesome when everything comes together!

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
Tselis said:
I always wanted to play the piano, but my hands are just too small. *sigh* So I'm left to just enjoy piano music.
I play piano, and my hands are pretty small - I can only reach an octave and one, and it's pretty hard for me to play pieces at higher levels (which is why I only got up to Grade 6 and then quit) but I'm sure that if you tried it out, you could find some pieces that don't require you to stretch to play octaves and the like. There's a lot out there if you really want to play piano. :) Best of luck to you if you ever try it.

I also play the double bass - you know, the really big, upright one. I love the sound it makes, and the fact that everyone wants you in their orchestra because so few people play bass...

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
I bought an ocarina a few weeks back (A cheap plastic one, nothing special) and I'm ordering a proper clay one for an Xmas present to myself because I'm enjoying learning it so far :)

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
If you handed me a violin, I'd remember enough bits and pieces from 5th and 6th grade to play it, and maybe play a song if I had a beginner's book. I haven't played one since those grades, though.