Poll: My Computer is dying on me....

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
The hardware on a Mac is locked up like frickin' North Korea, and it costs several hundred dollars more than a PC. It doesn't hold its ground any better than PCs against viruses and malware, in fact Mac users are more prone to being victims of cyberattacks since they think the fruit-shaped logo on their laptop's lid and its dumbed-down proprietary Unix build makes them immune against them.
I'd seriously advise staying away from HP laptops though, the engineering on them not being top-notch and such, and the amount of bloatware they stuff in their products. I'd rather go for a Toshiba, or have the laptop custom-built by a reputable shop (as someone advised earlier).

Capthca: "om nom nom". That's what Apple does with your money, apparently.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Starik20X6 said:
If you couldn't give a flying shit about messing around with the guts of your computer and just want the damn thing to work flawlessly and with minimal effort, definitely get a Mac.

Yeah I'll be the only pro-Mac person on the poll so far.

Ha!

My macbook has one of the glitchiest interfaces I've ever used.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I got an Alienware M15 laptop two years ago...it's dying very quickly and was a pretty bad decision it turns out...Yes, I can play all my high-spec games, but the graphics drivers keep crashing, I get the blue screen of death, my CD drive doesn't work, my mousepad doesn't work...fun times.

Feb 18, 2009
Here's a crazy idea - if you like the OS, buy a windows laptop and buy OSX separately - then install it and get rid of windows. Tada, cheapo mac.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
If you find yourself a bit of a graphic designer/software artist or all that shazz, get a Mac - but be prepared to burn a lot of money.

If you just want mobile computing power with good user interface, as much as I hate to say it - get an iPad.

Otherwise get a desktop/laptop (but not a gaming laptop).

If you want a rig for gaming, get a desktop/tower PC with Windows 7.

BluebellForest said:
I got an Alienware M15 laptop two years ago...it's dying very quickly and was a pretty bad decision it turns out...Yes, I can play all my high-spec games, but the graphics drivers keep crashing, I get the blue screen of death, my CD drive doesn't work, my mousepad doesn't work...fun times.
Gaming laptop?
Honestly, buying a gaming laptop is like buying a glider that claims it can fly to space. It might make it if you push for it, but in the end it wont be doing you any favours.

Gaming requires a lot of power; and laptops (being supplied by a battery) really struggle to give what gaming needs. It might have the hardware but it ain't got the power to supply it, on top of that the heat generated and lack of sufficient ventilation turns the insides of the laptop into an environment as hostile to hardware as space is to a gliders plain-clothed occupants.

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
As a fellow student, I can tell you bluntly that buying a Macbook Pro would be a serious waste of funds. The university I go to has Mac and PC labs and writing is certainly better on a PC. Macs are best for graphics design and making movies - artsy stuff - while PCs have a better 'office' package.

Personally, I find Mac interfaces to be a bit floaty and imprecise, but I used a mouse, and I'm not sure how their trackpads work. Then again, I use a wireless mouse with my PC laptop because I don't like trackpads in general.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
AceTrilby said:
Macs are best for graphics design and making movies - artsy stuff - while PCs have a better 'office' package.
I still don't know why, and that's coming from someone who does a course called Communication and Multimedia Design. There are only a few very high-end video-editing and design programs that are Mac exclusive, other than that I have no clue why Macs would be better. I have Illustrator CS5, they have Illustrator CS5, what's the difference?

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Macbooks are VERY overpriced for the hardware they bring. Sure, they used to be awesome when they rocked their own chipsets and parts years and years ago, but since now they are using the EXACT SAME components you can get on any other laptop, but cost 1.5-2x more all you are really buying is an admittedly elegant and well designed case and a half eaten fruit.

The game argument is mostly invalid now since you can just install windows on your macbook, either as dual boot, single, or as an emulator. Also Diablo 3 is coming out on mac, so what more could you want? :p

As for the security.. yes OS X is more secure simply because hackers don't bother with it. It's just as crappy as Windows otherwise.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
AceTrilby said:
Macs are best for graphics design and making movies - artsy stuff - while PCs have a better 'office' package.
I still don't know why, and that's coming from someone who does a course called Communication and Multimedia Design. There are only a few very high-end video-editing and design programs that are Mac exclusive, other than that I have no clue why Macs would be better. I have Illustrator CS5, they have Illustrator CS5, what's the difference?
The difference is Steve Jobs never said PCs are just as good/better.

So yes, since Steve Jobs decreed it must be so, Macs are at least 20% better.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Bvenged said:
If you find yourself a bit of a graphic designer/software artist or all that shazz, get a Mac - but be prepared to burn a lot of money.

If you just want mobile computing power with good user interface, as much as I hate to say it - get an iPad.

Otherwise get a desktop/laptop (but not a gaming laptop).

If you want a rig for gaming, get a desktop/tower PC with Windows 7.

BluebellForest said:
Gaming laptop?
Honestly, buying a gaming laptop is like buying a glider that claims it can fly to space. It might make it if you push for it, but in the end it wont be doing you any favours.

Gaming requires a lot of power; and laptops (being supplied by a battery) really struggle to give what gaming needs. It might have the hardware but it ain't got the power to supply it, on top of that the heat generated and lack of sufficient ventilation turns the insides of the laptop into an environment as hostile to hardware as space is to a gliders plain-clothed occupants.
Ohh, I love Gaming Laptops. Best joke ever.

Had a friend buy a very expensive gaming laptop once. It's specs beat the shit out of my desktop gaming rig. Except all components were undercloked by like 50% at least since the laptop couldn't handle the heat dissipation. So his 3x more expensive laptop ended up being half as powerful as my budget gaming rig.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Starik20X6 said:
If you couldn't give a flying shit about messing around with the guts of your computer and just want the damn thing to work flawlessly and with minimal effort, definitely get a Mac.

Yeah I'll be the only pro-Mac person on the poll so far.
The problem is, when something does eventually break, which it will, you are screwed. Getting it fixed will be a long, nerve racking and maybe even costly affair.
Extremely costly. A classmate of mine, well her boyfriend, had to pay over ?500,- for a freakin' harddrive.

But you're right. OSX, Windows or Linux, the operating system doesn't matter; computers will be computers, and computers will eventually fuck you over. I hate IT sometimes.
VladG said:
As for the security.. yes OS X is more secure simply because hackers don't bother with it. It's just as crappy as Windows otherwise.
That argument is pretty outdated as well, with OSX's rise in popularity.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Jacco said:
Antari said:
Ninja'd by TheBobmus...

It depends on what you plan on doing with it most of the time. If you plan on making videos for youtube, designing houses, putting together reports and charts. The MacBook is for you. If you want to play games, get a windows based laptop.
I'm not really into PC gaming. I use my current one more for writing, web browsing, movie watching, etc. I'm a student so this would be a big investment for me.
For the price of a macbook you could probably make a good gaming pc desktop for a lower price and considering your a student the steam sales would be a godsend to you.
If you want info on making a gaming pc or choosing a gaming laptop just ask it here alot of people would be glad to help you.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
thahat said:
dyre said:
I've heard that Mac computers are superior for video/photo editing, though the artists who told me that never explained why. I guess if you're willing to pay an extra 500-1000 dollars for the same hardware as a PC, but superior video/photo editing, go for it. Otherwise, I don't really know why you'd want a Macbook
let me explain it for him, there are, industry specific mac computers that are better for photo-video stuff. these things cost 20.000~euro´s and you wont ever see them on your life.

other mac stuff= the sum of its parts. and apple sells them too expensive.
for the same money you ca nget better, or you can get the same for less.
( do note, macs usual come with SOFTWARE pre installed for video editing etc. and most 'artsy' people are not that techinicly inclined, might make it seem to be 'better' for them. i call this lazy. ( too lazy to aquire software in disc/downloaded form )
Ah, alright, thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit skeptical when the guy I know made that claim, but I'm not a photo editor or anything so I couldn't claim to know better than he did.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
dyre said:
I've heard that Mac computers are superior for video/photo editing, though the artists who told me that never explained why. I guess if you're willing to pay an extra 500-1000 dollars for the same hardware as a PC, but superior video/photo editing, go for it. Otherwise, I don't really know why you'd want a Macbook
I think that has to do with the old image of a mac being comp that doesn't get viruses or need anti-spyware stuff and doesn't crash. None of it is true but it still kind of has that image.

DannyBandicoot

Sep 11, 2011
If I were you I'd get the Macbook Pro if you can afford it and then get bootcamp if you want to get seriously into gaming (I consider myself a gamer though and I haven't found a game I want to play that doesn't work on mac.)

Apple's customer support is beyond excellent, you can bring your laptop to and apple store and have a genius look at it there and then or ring them up with people who can actually speak english.

As for why you should get a mac it's all about what you want to do, you don't sound like you are overly technical and that's why I think you will love a Mac because they are so easy to use, it sounds cheesy to say but you really do know how to use it right out of the box. I've had my iMac for four years and I've never froze once or encountered a single problem other than the initial week of getting used to the new commands.

But in the end it comes down to if you can afford it. Quality comes at a price.

My friend bought a refurbished macbook a few years ago and it had a problem with the fan, he took it into the apple store and they fixed it for him completely free right there in the shop, just a first hand example of how good their customer service is.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Worgen said:
dyre said:
I think that has to do with the old image of a mac being comp that doesn't get viruses or need anti-spyware stuff and doesn't crash. None of it is true but it still kind of has that image.
Nah, another user just explained to me that Apple does have some super high-end industry specific computers for superior video/photo editing, so its reputation for that sort of thing might come from there. But normal macs for regular people have no such advantage.

As for the virus thing, wasn't it true at some point that most people didn't bother writing viruses for macs, due to its much smaller userbase? Or was that just a rumor too? Not that it really matters, since most viruses aren't a problem if you don't do anything stupid.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I would rather buy a kick ass windows laptop for the same price or less, i just couldn't spend money on a lesser product just because it's popular? (or whatever it is that people buy apple's products for). I just can't help but smile when i compare apple's products to others, those prices are just ridiculous.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
dyre said:
Worgen said:
dyre said:
Nah, another user just explained to me that Apple does have some super high-end industry specific computers for superior video/photo editing, so its reputation for that sort of thing might come from there. But normal macs for regular people have no such advantage.

As for the virus thing, wasn't it true at some point that most people didn't bother writing viruses for macs, due to its much smaller userbase? Or was that just a rumor too? Not that it really matters, since most viruses aren't a problem if you don't do anything stupid.
Might also be because for awhile macs had Photoshop and windows didn't have it or anything quite as good (I don't think, I'm not sure since I don't do much graphical editing)

The virus thing was never really true, it is true that not many got made for macs since they were a much smaller market share but they still had them, I remember hearing stories after apple had been running those ads that said macs didn't get viruses or spyware. Some users would run scans and found lots of stuff on their comps, but most users believed the hype, at least for a while.