Poll: Need help picking a modern FPS game from Steam

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Since Christmas is coming up, I was wondering which modern FPS game I should get from Steam (retail is not an option where I live). I narrowed down my choices between 4 games, and I'd like some advice on picking the best game for myself. I'm open to suggestions too. I'd also like to note that I am more of a fan of the health-bar type FPS than the sit-in-corner-waiting-for-blood-to-fall-off type (not that I hate that type, I just prefer the former), and I like a game that has a good multiplayer, but can also provide a good singleplayer experience.

EDIT: Poll didn't work, so the games I narrowed it down to aren't there. >.<

The games were CoD 4, BlOps, Bad Company 2, or MoH.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
I'd say Half-Life 2 but everyone seems to have it... Or you can go with the orange box (Half-Life as singleplayer, Team Fortress 2 as multiplayer). I actually don't know of any modern game that has health bars, though...

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
zfactor said:
I'd say Half-Life 2 but everyone seems to have it... Or you can go with the orange box (Half-Life as singleplayer, Team Fortress 2 as multiplayer). I actually don't know of any modern game that has health bars, though...
I agree, If you don't have it already, go for the orange box.

joebthegreat

Nov 23, 2010
Stalker series. Shadow of Chernobyl (2007), Clear Sky (2008), Call of Pripyat (2010).

Great atmosphere, uses a health system where you have to eat to replenish health rather than just take damage then sit back and wait. It's radiation-alcohol system is both crazy fun and can be scary enough...

Honestly, I'd say the Stalker series is a MUST HAVE for any PC gamer who's a fan of the first person shooter.

BUT

I don't know how good it's multiplayer is, but then considering the only games I play MP are StarCraft2 and Team Fortress 2 I'm not a good judge of that.

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
Serious Sam the HD remake. Bought it when it was on sale. Best 10eur spent. Remastered graphics, the old awesome gameplay of loads of monsters almost no objectives besides murder everyone. Also Controller Enabled if you're in to that thing. I play it with an xbox360 controller with force feedback settings on max and it's actually tiring to shoot the minigun, but also awesome! To quote "Double the gun, double the fun!"

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
My favourite FPS at the moment is Bad Company 2, but that's quite health-face-y.

You could try Counter-Strike: Source if you want a game based on twitch reflex ability and (potential) extreme tactics.

...or perhaps Doom 3 if you want a slightly more run-shoot-run-shoot-boomboomboom-shoot-y game. Ignore the horror aspect. It basically amounts to finding loads of blood all over the walls.

For atmosphere, I recommend Bioshock. The combat is quite awkward though.

That's all the ones I know a lot about.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
buy Call of Duty, Call of Duty United Offensive and Call of Duty 2

then feel like god XD

but seriously, I'd say Painkiller or Serious Sam HD (especially the HD 2nd Encounter, since it's a lot better and with a lot more multiplayer options than HD 1st Encounter)

just... don't buy Painkiller Resurrection

Tharwen said:
or perhaps Doom 3 if you want a slightly more run-shoot-run-shoot-boomboomboom-shoot-y game. Ignore the horror aspect. It basically amounts to finding loads of blood all over the walls.
and also the incredible irony of being in the future, in space, and not being able to see shit because they don't have Night Vision goggles in space

but yeah, the game is dark

fucking dark

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
teh_Canape said:
buy Call of Duty, Call of Duty United Offensive and Call of Duty 2

then feel like god XD

but seriously, I'd say Painkiller or Serious Sam HD (especially the HD 2nd Encounter, since it's a lot better and with a lot more multiplayer options than HD 1st Encounter)

just... don't buy Painkiller Resurrection

Tharwen said:
or perhaps Doom 3 if you want a slightly more run-shoot-run-shoot-boomboomboom-shoot-y game. Ignore the horror aspect. It basically amounts to finding loads of blood all over the walls.
and also the incredible irony of being in the future, in space, and not being able to see shit because they don't have Night Vision goggles in space

but yeah, the game is dark

fucking dark
If there was ever a game made to be played in the dark, it's Doom 3.
Also, it's the single best use of your surround sound this side of Amnesia (also on Steam, but not a shooter).

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
If there was ever a game made to be played in the dark, it's Doom 3.
Also, it's the single best use of your surround sound this side of Amnesia (also on Steam, but not a shooter).
what about.... Alone in the Dark? (see what I did there? XD

but in my opinion, it's a pretty good use of surround, but the best one, hands down, it's Bioshock 2

ShakerSilver

Nov 13, 2009
mew4ever23 said:
zfactor said:
I agree, If you don't have it already, go for the orange box.
I already have the O-Box. AND I LOVE IT. :D
Tharwen said:
My favourite FPS at the moment is Bad Company 2, but that's quite health-face-y.

You could try Counter-Strike: Source if you want a game based on twitch reflex ability and (potential) extreme tactics.

...or perhaps Doom 3 if you want a slightly more run-shoot-run-shoot-boomboomboom-shoot-y game. Ignore the horror aspect. It basically amounts to finding loads of blood all over the walls.

For atmosphere, I recommend Bioshock. The combat is quite awkward though.

That's all the ones I know a lot about.
I also already have Counter-Strike and Source, I mean who on Steam doesn't have it?

And I am getting Bioshock, but I'm also looking for an FPS with a more modern setting too.
believer258 said:
EPIC SNIP
I think I should have mentioned that I'm pretty new to the modern FPS setting. The only other ones I played were Valve shooters, Max Payne, and the original Battlefield games. Plus the poll didn't work, so the games I narrowed it down to aren't showing up. Check the original post again.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
As much as I hate shooters, if you really wanna subject yourself to that, Black Ops is apparently the big daddy there. Sure hope you like kids though.

If you have any sort of intelligence, something like STALKER or Fallout: New Vegas would be more up your alley.

ShakerSilver

Nov 13, 2009
Aethren said:
As much as I hate shooters, if you really wanna subject yourself to that, Black Ops is apparently the big daddy there. Sure hope you like kids though.

If you have any sort of intelligence, something like STALKER or Fallout: New Vegas would be more up your alley.
Well I am getting Fallout 3 GOTY too. Does that make me intellismart? :B

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Do yourself a huge favour and get Bad Company 2, its much more balanced than any other, has destruction mechanics that are incredibly fun, tanks and other vehicles..

Its more of a good humoured shooter compared to the gritty angry faces of cod and MoH..

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
I'd actually recommend Painkiller. Just watch the ZP about it. It's an amazing shooter that deserves more respect.