Poll: Nerds. Movies and RL

Ulvai

Mar 9, 2010
OK, I think I am a nerd. Computer Sciences student, main interests besides that include pure math, quantum chromodynamics, astronomy and video/PnP games.
You would expect (from experience gathered from the movies and such) either a short/overly tall skinny guy with long hair and glasses or a fat guy. Appearance not withstanding, all of them would be physically weak, socially awkward, completely incapable of defending themselves.
So. If I am 2 m tall, 100 kilos heavy, athletically built guy who can break a jaw with a single punch, and the reason that I don't have many friends is not that I can't befriend any one, it's the fact that I am a jerk, and people quickly get tired of me. Can and should i still be considered a nerd?

Edited in: Ok, backbone of the question is What defines a nerd? His interests and mental abilities or his appearance and physical abilities. Or may be a nerd is just a swear word that doesn't have any demographics behind it? Or, may be it varies from culture to culture?

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
lee1287 said:
You should be considered a jerk. Specialy if you say "athletically built guy who can break a jaw with a single punch." Soo, yeah, you seem like a douche and you've only typed a paragraph. Sorry.
It's a shame you're going to get put on probation. That was pretty funny.

Ulvai

Mar 9, 2010
Bobic said:
lee1287 said:
You should be considered a jerk. Specialy if you say "athletically built guy who can break a jaw with a single punch." Soo, yeah, you seem like a douche and you've only typed a paragraph. Sorry.
Will he? I'm against it. A man has his opinion. I can respect that. The jaw breaking thing I do only in self defense. Or when I'm drunk!
He also might have misinterpreted what i wrote. I mean, It's not like I'm going out in the evenings and break jaws for fun. But I CAN do it, I know.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Ulvai said:
Bobic said:
lee1287 said:
Will he? I'm against it. A man has his opinion. I can respect that. The jaw breaking thing I do only in self defense. Or when I'm drunk!
This site tends to be a bit tetchy when it comes to users insulting other users. Then again, if you're being so cool about it it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe.

d4rkxy13x

Jan 10, 2009
I find that a nerd is a person who spends over 9 hours a day playing games/fixing electronics for fun, but I also think that a nerd would also have a group of two or three friends with whom he has lan parties and plays DnDs (nothing against it).

Ulvai

Mar 9, 2010
d4rkxy13x said:
I find that a nerd is a person who spends over 9 hours a day playing games/fixing electronics for fun, but I also think that a nerd would also have a group of two or three friends with whom he has lan parties and plays DnDs (nothing against it).
I have 4 friends who are in my guild in DDO, so we run in party, sometimes for 12 hours straight, and I am DMing a DnD campaign, while another runs GURPS campaign for us. Incidentally they all play straight in that stereotype I described in original post. It is partly why I created this topic: I am filling left out.

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
Ulvai said:
d4rkxy13x said:
I have 4 friends who are in my guild in DDO, so we run in party, sometimes for 12 hours straight, and I am DMing a DnD campaign, while another runs GURPS campaign for us. Incidentally they all play straight in that stereotype. It is partly why I created this topic: I am filling left out.
After reading the first post, I wasn't really sure of what my answer would be.
With this post however, I know. You're a nerd, quite the beef-stick of a nerd, but still a nerd. Welcome to the tribe. :)

[EDIT] As for the big question: "What makes a nerd." I can't really answer... I guess it's just participating eagerly in "nerdy" activities. The old stereotype doesn't really cut it anymore. For the most part, not many people could guess that I'm a nerd when they see me, but when they see my huge game collection, they're convinced.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
Well after checking out the definition of nerd on an internet dictionary it seems a nerd is someone who is stupid, unattractive, physically weak or socially inept.

I don't use the term myself, but often get called it because I know alot about computers and games and go to other peoples math classes for fun. So I believe that it is most commonly used to refer to peoples intelligence and hobbies (Due to the sterio-type of the pale skinned, poorly dressed computer geek that most people think of)

d4rkxy13x

Jan 10, 2009
Ulvai said:
d4rkxy13x said:
I have 4 friends who are in my guild in DDO, so we run in party, sometimes for 12 hours straight, and I am DMing a DnD campaign, while another runs GURPS campaign for us. Incidentally they all play straight in that stereotype I described in original post. It is partly why I created this topic: I am filling left out.
Don't fill left out ! (grammar joke). In that case, you have nothing to fear, you're a hardcore nerd !

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
A nerd is just someone with a dedicated interest that takes up the majority of their spare time.

Guy who works out a lot = Gym Nerd
Guy who watches sports a lot = Sports Nerd

I hate this idea that to be a nerd you have to like certain subjects, you can be a nerd about anything, i'm a music nerd

oh and it's rather adolescent and immature to talk about being able to break jaws, we are not impressed, because we aren't 17 year old girls in a parking lot.

Ulvai

Mar 9, 2010
d4rkxy13x said:
Don't fill left out ! (grammar joke). In that case, you have nothing to fear, you're a hardcore nerd !
Aw, dammit. Guess I should not rely that much on spelling software too, huh?

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
Tipsy Giant said:
A nerd is just someone with a dedicated interest that takes up the majority of their spare time.

I hate this idea that to be a nerd you have to like certain subjects, you can be a nerd about anything, i'm a music nerd

oh and it's rather adolescent and immature to talk about being able to break jaws, we are not impressed, because we aren't 17 year old girls in a parking lot.
I do agree with the general message of your post, about how anyone can be a -nerd. But I have to say that I don't really mind being seen as one, there are a whole lot worse things one can be called than a nerd.

Ulvai

Mar 9, 2010
Tipsy Giant said:

Again, people, it was said to counter the stereotype of a "nerd" character in fiction not being able to defend himself. PS: I'm starting to think there was a better way to put, but I guess it is too late.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Nietz said:
Tipsy Giant said:

I do agree with the general message of your post, about how anyone can be a -nerd. But I have to say that I don't really mind being seen as one, there are a whole lot worse things one can be called than a nerd.
Me either, like I said i'm a Music Nerd, love everything about it and i'm always trying to learn something new about the art

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Ulvai said:
Tipsy Giant said:

Again, people, it was said to counter the stereotype of a "nerd" character in fiction not being able to defend himself. PS: I'm starting to think there was a better way to put, but I guess it is too late.
how about just stating that although you love geeky pass times, you do not meet the typical physical characteristics

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
The problem with a popular culture term such as "nerd" is that it doesn't have a proper definition, it's more of a blurred idea that depends on your individual perpective.

Take me for example. On the one hand, I'm intelligent, sometimes play video games, watch movies alot, do a Biology degree, am interested in politics, move and speak quite awkwardly and I'm skinny, so some would consider me a nerd. On the other hand, I don't have glasses or long hair, I wear normal clothes, I also do karate, I often go out drinking and occasionally smoking with mates, I do volunteer work and I have an average number of friends.

I don't know where I'd fit, I guess I'm somewhere in the middle :p

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
Where do you live btw? Because when i picture the USA schools ystem i se, Jocks, Cheerleaders, and geeky/nerdy people. That's it.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
You may as well ask what your typical American, Jew or politician is like if your asking what a nerd is like. What constitutes as being a nerd is very broad.