Poll: Next-gen games delays- Good or bad?

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
So I've seen news stories recently about the way games like Drivezone and Watch Dogs are being delayed until 2014 and I wondered if everyone thought this was a good or bad thing?
Personally I think it's good. It means the games get more time, but also means that the games I want to buy are staggered out a bit more. To me the launch line-up was always sub-par on both consoles and I was only planning to get a PS4 next June/July, but now the games I want (Destiny, Watch Dogs, Mad Max etc) are staggered out, giving me time for each one.
Opinions?

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
Its both good and bad as those who were really looking forward to those games would be disappointed and it also makes the launch lineup of the PS4 suddenly look weak compared to XB1.It would be good for a lot of PC gamers like me who have a sizable backlog of games yet to beat so the delays give me more time to finish those games off.I wasn't excited for Watch Dogs and The Crew to begin with and Driveclub is PS4 exclusive so the delays don't affect me at all.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I'm guessing the reason Watch Dogs was pushed out was because most people are buying a new console plus Call of Duty plus Assasins Creed. That's just a lot of money for any one person to spend and when you have established franchises one of them belonging to you, not only would Watch Dogs have competed against one of their own games (AC:BF) but it would have been the one people opted out of because let's face it, at the end of the day it's more secure to buy a game from an established franchise than something brand new

so as far as the PS4/xbone game delays, I'm 99.99% certain these are more of a strategic delay

as for regular game delays I always say that it's better for developers to take their time if the end result is something like Bioshock Infinite

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Depends on how much you're looking forward to the games, I guess. I'm in no hurry, personally. I'm not picking a PS4 until Metal Gear Solid V and Final Fantasy XV are released. I've got plenty of titles to enjoy while I wait.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
It's good. It'll give me more time to go through my massive catalogue of current gen games before I have to even think of getting the others.

In all seriousness, though, the more time they get to work on something, the better (usually).

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I'll go with neutral because more so than the games, I believe the consoles themselves should be delayed. I mean, there's no real turmoil around the release of this gen, we are the only ones caring a bit about it but, I don't know, it seems like when the Xbox360/PS3 was released (and even more so, the PS2) it was like a fucking earthquake hitting the world, you totally jumped on the new consoles and stuff. Now it's sorta like, "meh, this is the one I need to play the new games"??? Maybe that's because the games themselves don't seem to be giving such huge leaps as they used to back then.

Say what you will about GTA V, but it's proof it's still too early for a new generation, looks like Dark Souls 2 is coming to send a similar message.

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
Its probably a good think, since they can get their games as good as they can, but its also annoying in the sense that I am very impatient.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
It's a mix bag really, but a bit more good. It's bad because it leaves the new consoles with little games in there libraries at launch. On the other hand, there are gonna be some people who will wait it out to get a console.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Watch Dogs looked flakey so I'm glad that was delayed, Drive Club I was really looking forward to but going by the demoed build the extra time for polish will be welcome.

PS4 still has the better launch line up in my opinion, is the more powerful console and is cheaper so I'm not cancelling or jumping ship by a long shot. It's just one game and I'd prefer to wait for quality over a rush job any day, launch window or not.

*edit*
Forgot to add we now get Contrast free due to the delay which is awesome. Liked the look of it and having it bundled with PSN+ is very cool indeed.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
If delays mean the games get some extra polish, I'm all for it. I'd rather have a good game later than a flawed one now.

Also, I have no problems with waiting for a game. After all, there is tons of other stuff to do in the meantime.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Generally speaking delays are always "good", insomuch as they are necessary. No publisher or developer likes losing money, so if a game is delayed you better believe there were salient reasons for the delay.

It only really gets concerning when you run into multiple delays and re-builds of the game. That can point to dysfunction, and rarely results in anything more than a dysfunctional final product.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
In the words of the great and wise Miyamoto:

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Creators shouldn't rush through development at the cost of quality just to meet some arbitrary deadline they previously thought they could make.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
OlasDAlmighty said:
In the words of the great and wise Miyamoto:

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Creators shouldn't rush through development at the cost of quality just to meet some arbitrary deadline they previously thought they could make.
Of course Miyamoto said that before you could patch games post release. Still the sentiment is largely true and I would rather have a well-polished game in due time than an unpolished game immediately.

I said it's neutral though. It's not like I enjoy waiting longer and delays can be a very bad sign.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Neutral. I don't plan on getting a next gen console until a few years have passed(or I feel I want to spent the money) so it doesn't matter to me. Would prefer if they got out in time though so the prices can start dropping faster!

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I think its funny. I wasn't buying a next gen console until after about a year or more, there is absolutely nothing about any of them that makes me want to rush out and buy them the moment they hit the shelves. If they had a bunch of good games ready and waiting to go at launch, I might have a different attitude.

So, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. Why? Why do it? Why launch consoles with cutting edge technology (ok, maybe not you Nintendo but you are guilty of this too) and nothing to play on them? It makes no sense to me. Its not even as if they are backwards compatible so I can't even play my old games on it either.

Why not delay the console releases until there are actually good games to play on these fabulous new machines at launch instead of going "here is your shiny black box of choice, the games come next year."

Like I said, I find it funny.