Poll: Nickelback

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
Okay, this has been bothering me for some time now, so I'm just going to go ahead and ask:
Why does the internet hate Nickelback?
I frequent sites like Imgur and Reddit, and I'm consistently baffled by the degree of hatred the band gets. I realise some of these people are just going along with the pseudo-meme and hating because it's the 'done' thing, but I've honestly never seen Nickelback defended, which I find bizzare.
I'm not a fan by even the loosest description of the term, but a friend of mine is and I frequently hear their music. I find it to be mostly fairly average, or even some songs quite good - Certainly not so terrible as to deserve that much hate in my opinion.
Thoughts?

EDIT: The 'Why?' on the Strongly agree button was there so I could get an idea as to why. Please don't just press it and leave the thread, it's counter-productive.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
They're mediocre to sub-par. I think they are underrated, but they definitely aren't good.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
vrbtny said:
Didn't we do this thread?....about 2 days ago?
Did we? If we did, sorry. I didn't see it, as I don't go on this website that often.
You could have tried to add something to the conversation... ¬_¬

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
I do despise them, so I've never been particularly bothered by 'all the hate'. Still I see what you mean, and I can see why it would get old quickly. And enough people must like them to have them play on the radio. However I'll just throw it out there, how much of it is hate thrown out at Nickelback, and how much of it is hate towards Chad Kroeger?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daffy F said:
Did we? If we did, sorry. I didn't see it, as I don't go on this website that often.
You could have tried the search button, too.

Mediocre to bad music+major radio play=mouth-foaming rage.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I'm OK with them. Some of their songs are pretty good IMO, and I have absolutely no opinion on Chad Kroeger at all...

Granted, I don't listen to much western popular music, so there are in all likelihood bands out there who make 'em sound naff, but they don't sound bad (based on their own merits).

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Daffy F said:
vrbtny said:
Didn't we do this thread?....about 2 days ago?
Yeah, this exact thread was pretty much made . . . last week? Two weeks ago? Whenever Feed Dump mentioned that Graham thought only Canadians hated Nickelback. I'll say the same thing I did then:
shrekfan246 said:
I liked them back in . . . something like 2003, before every one of their songs on the radio was EDIT: obviously :EDIT about sex, parties, sex, rock, sex, drugs, and sex. Then they became a generic, mediocre band not worth my time. I don't hate them, and I won't hate people who like them, but I do question the musical tastes of people who think they're "amazing", just as I question people who won't listen to anything more than rap, or country, or the heaviest death metal they can find, or j-pop, or indie music. There's no reason to be so close-minded when there's so many talented bands out there. Oh, wait, I'm getting off topic here. Yeah, I don't care if people like them, but I make sure to be wary of people who think Nickelback is the "Greatest band EVAR!!!!11!!!1!"

Gloomsta

Oct 27, 2011
The only reason they will be remembered is because they were hated so much.

I dont hate them, their music is kinda catchy, and they write generic rock songs.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
People don't hate their music. They hate the amount of popularity they get with such mediocre music.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
I used to be on the "lol Nickelback sucks" bandwagon, but a few car trips with a couple friends of mine have caused me to really like some of their songs.

... Mostly because of my extremely attractive friend singing along to S.E.X.

Eh, shallow, whatever. They were fun car trips and I'm really susceptible to positive associations.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
I don't really know, the noe song of theirs i listened to, i liked!
(actually, the fact i've only fully listened to one of their songs before might be a factor in this)
However, the other song that i listened a bit to, (photograph) was laughable in my eyes.
So that's a reason...

lso, yeah, there was a recent thread about this.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Nickelback are bad because they have taken rock music and everything it stands for and just ruined it.
Nickelback write lacklustre lyrics with no drive, no substance and no emotion.
They have no oomph to them, they're bland and dull and lifeless.
Instrumentally, they're fine but uninteresting. They do nothing to push the boat out and make no attempts to be something special.

Nickelback are safe and, in the music industry, that is the worst thing a band can be Safe is boring, safe is lifeless and safe is wasted time and space.

Cody Kraktzor

Aug 2, 2011
CrashBang said:
Nickelback are bad because they have taken rock music and everything it stands for and just ruined it.
Nickelback write lacklustre lyrics with no drive, no substance and no emotion.
They have no oomph to them, they're bland and dull and lifeless.
Instrumentally, they're fine but uninteresting. They do nothing to push the boat out and make no attempts to be something special.

Nickelback are safe and, in the music industry, that is the worst thing a band can be Safe is boring, safe is lifeless and safe is wasted time and space.
But to the music labels, safe sells CDs...

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
I liked the one song I've heard from them for whatever thats worth. Course there may be some bias with that being it was in a very well edited AMV.