Poll: Nintendo DS:Worth it?

Feb 8, 2009
OK then. It seems you all have made your point. I'm gonna be broke for a while because I'll have to buy all of these awesome DS games.

I want all of your friend codes for Pokemon so I can beat you. :)

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
If you don't have a stable of GBA games, the DSi is probably much better then a DS.

but yeah, either one, the DS is great... it's my favorite system

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
bought mine last year, and definitely love it. I got phantom hourglass, apollo justice, chrono trigger, minish cap...list goes on...and have been extremely pleased with them all.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Everyone should get Henry Hatsworth and the puzzling adventure, such a good game!!

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Do I really have to be the person to recommend Trauma Center: Under the Knife one and two?

Or do guys just not have the balls for that game?

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Do I really have to be the person to recommend Trauma Center: Under the Knife one and two?

I played Trauma Center and was bored out of my fucking mind. I felt the same way about Phoenix Wright. I just completely do not understand the appeal of those games.

Where regards the DS, I love mine for games like Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Disgaea, and Fire Emblem. I usually hate Japanese games but they've got the SRPG down to a delightful science.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
SimuLord said:
Flying-Emu said:

I played Trauma Center and was bored out of my fucking mind.
Did you play beyond the first five missions or so? (about half hour of game) After that, the challenge skyrockets and the story starts to get mildly interesting.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
I sold my DS because I would only ever play Meteos, and even that game I only played occasionally. The DS doesn't have a strong lineup of games in my opinion.

I don't have a PSP either. The only handheld for me is my dearest 10 year old gameboy color.

Firebert

Jan 27, 2009
I want to upgrade to a Lite soon. And get Rhythm Heaven!
Also, I have played Trauma Center 2 and it is fun!

ssjSephiroth

Feb 19, 2009
I'd say that even if Nintendo stops making original titles for the DS, they have a good habit of releasing improved versions of old SNES classics. Chrono Trigger, anyone? Final Fantasy 4? Yes indeed, yes indeed.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I vote yes. There are qutie a few fantastic time sinks available for the handheld. While I was far more exited when I unwrapped my PSP initially, the evidence after several years of ownership seems to indicate I prefer my DS since it is the ONLY handheld that accompanies me wherever I go.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
AeroZeppelinSevenfold said:
I posted this on another forum board, but I thought that the escapist members could give me a good answer.

I recently have gained an interest in the Nintendo DS. Mostly because of the shiny new pokemon game, but I would also like a copy of Chrono Trigger, GTA, they all look good.

I would like to ask the escapist if this is a wise investment, and if the DSi is better than the old ones. (I wanna play GBA games a lot)

And lets add a poll to it for the hell of it.
While these games are good, you should try out a few more.

Valkirie Chronicles has been reviewed quite highly as a dark RPG that strays from the usual story. Elite Beat Agents is quite possibly one of the best games you can get, unless you don't like rhythm games. If you do like rhythm games, I would also suggest Rhythm Heaven. If you don't get the DSi, then the FF remakes, both for the GBA and DS, are good if you haven't played them before, and even if you have, there is extra content. The Tetris games is good if you like puzzles, as is the original Meteos. Trauma Center can be balls hard, but ican be fun, as well. Phoenix Wright is a fun adventure game, but The Broken Sword (illustrated by the same guy who did Watchmen) has been anticipated by fans of the adventure genre. There are more that I'm missing, but this post's already long enough.

Also, get a DS Lite if you can, they're much more portable, and unless you have giant hands, a lot easier to use.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
link670 said:
Plus I have one reason why it is definitely superior to the PSP...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHd4UysK9k
Funny you would mention that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb3_b9Td_4k

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
SimuLord said:
Flying-Emu said:

I played Trauma Center and was bored out of my fucking mind.
Did you play beyond the first five missions or so? (about half hour of game) After that, the challenge skyrockets and the story starts to get mildly interesting.
I didn't find any reason why I'd even want to. I don't give a rat's ass about the story (reason numero uno why I usually avoid Japanese-made games in the first place) and the game did absolutely nothing to convince me it was going to get interesting. I was bored pretty much from mission one. Just totally not my type of game.

BlueMartian

Mar 22, 2009
Get a DS Lite, avoid the DSi unless you want to pay an extra $100 for a mobile phone camera tacked on.

RPJesus

Nov 20, 2007
quack35 said:
GET. CHRONO. TRIGGER.

You won't regret it, I promise you.
Although it will consume your free time. What with the empty slots in the item catalogue sitting there. Mocking you. >_>.
Also I support the DS lite, because I <3 my sexy crimson and black one.

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
Kirosilence said:
I bought a DS a few days ago, and with it, Pokemon Platinum and The World Ends With You, and I must say I am feeling no remorse. It is a very good handheld with a great selection of games.

Side Note: Yes, I bought a regular DS only days before the DSi Release. I did that almost to spite Nintendo for killing he GBA.
Hah. Me too. Bought mine the 30th of March, only a few days before the DSi release. I didn't see a need for it.

OP: if you want to play GBA games, I would consider just purchasing a DS lite. If you have a regular GBA and don't mind buying batteries, then maybe a DSi. I wouldn't personally recommend it, but it's not too terrible. I just find its additions extremely half-assed or not needed.

So far, I do not regret buying my DS, and it's serving me well, and it's good enough to own for the select games that come to the handheld. There is a lot of shovelware and shitty BS games for 7 year old girls you have to dig through to find the good ones though.

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
I say Yes, Also, Trauma center, The World ends with you and FF Tactics.

Unrelated, Whats with everyone saying that the controls for The world ends with you are complex? Did you get one hand cut off at some point?

Dangernick42

Jan 12, 2009
DS is loads better than PSP. The PSP has better graphics and media capabilties etc, and is on the whole a better all-round system, but the short battery life and lack of GAMES on a GAMES-CONSOLE mean that the innovation of the DS is the metaphorical knife weddged in its fat, navy behind. And from what I've heard, Pokemon Platinum is worse then Pear; or Diamond, so get either of them instead (but I havev't got it, so I don't know for sure). Pheonix Wright is also a brilliant game if you enjoy some simple lateral thinking. AVOID ANIMAL CROSSING AT ALL COSTS. Thanks