Poll: No-kids-allowed movement. Yay or nay?

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
What I am getting from most of this thread is that people want to get rid of children who think they are entitled because the writers believe they themselves are entitled. Irony to the extreme.
I really do despise the anti-child movement. I don't believe in punishing parents for having children. Children should not be in some places, nitriles places are relatively few. I have no problems with establishments getting to of obnoxious people of any age, but banning children just because they can be is insulting to every parent.
And I have had more flights ruined by people bitching about kids than I've had flights ruined by kids. If you really want you transportation to be entirely quiet, you should get your own private transportation, not get rid of an entire class of people that could annoy you.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
No.
Just make sure that the facility knows how to handle it and is sure to tell the parent that the kid is being a nuisance and has to be hushed.

Kilyle

Jan 31, 2011
Anyone on this thread ever step in to quiet a child who's not theirs?

I've done this a few times. Once on a bus. I was in the front, and some kid in the back was screaming her lungs out. After a stop or two, I made my way to the back, sat right behind the kid, and started playing peek-a-boo.

Kid quieted down immediately. I think she was about four years old. The mom was talking with her friend and not even paying attention really. I got to listen to a little Spanish from them (I love languages) as we rode.

We happened to get off at the same spot, and I managed, with my rudimentary grasp of Spanish, to tell the girl "Now stop crying and be good, okay?" And as her little group walked off, the mom was laughing and repeating that to her kid.

I thought it went over well. Sometimes I get nervous about stepping in, not knowing what the parents will do, but in service of a whole group of commuters on a bus, I'll risk it. And to give me courage, I try to remember that in France a strange woman might come up to your kid and take them by the EAR and say "Now you listen to your mother!" and that's just what's acceptable in that culture.

I don't buy "It takes a village" but sometimes a stranger's helping hand can make a big difference.

Jeremytroid

Jul 10, 2011
A lot of the argument here is about the parents being unable to raise their child. While this is true and can be seen everyday, how do you expect the children to become socialized and understand how the real world works if they're banned from everywhere that the child may use when he/she is older?
There are also a lot of decent kids that are mild mannered and understand etiquette. They just end up overshadowed by misbehaved children because you notice bad ones more. Finally, I have friends who are 15 and older and some of them act just as stupid as a poorly raised 7 year old. So no matter who you ban, you'll eventually end up banning everyone because every age bracket has misbehaved and obnoxious members.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
We dont let wild animal run free but we let wild children do whatever they want.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
ks1234 said:
Thaius said:
I'm sorry, but no. No a thousand times over. ... I can't believe people are hating on kids this much; without them, the entire human race dies out...
There are over 6 billion people on this planet... I don't think the human race is in ANY danger of dieng out anytime soon ... hell, if anything this planet could use a couple of BILLION less people on it.
I guess we should start with some of the narrow-minded folk in this thread...

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
Kilyle said:
Anyone on this thread ever step in to quiet a child who's not theirs?

I've done this a few times. Once on a bus. I was in the front, and some kid in the back was screaming her lungs out. After a stop or two, I made my way to the back, sat right behind the kid, and started playing peek-a-boo.

Kid quieted down immediately. I think she was about four years old. The mom was talking with her friend and not even paying attention really. I got to listen to a little Spanish from them (I love languages) as we rode.

We happened to get off at the same spot, and I managed, with my rudimentary grasp of Spanish, to tell the girl "Now stop crying and be good, okay?" And as her little group walked off, the mom was laughing and repeating that to her kid.

I thought it went over well. Sometimes I get nervous about stepping in, not knowing what the parents will do, but in service of a whole group of commuters on a bus, I'll risk it. And to give me courage, I try to remember that in France a strange woman might come up to your kid and take them by the EAR and say "Now you listen to your mother!" and that's just what's acceptable in that culture.

I don't buy "It takes a village" but sometimes a stranger's helping hand can make a big difference.
This is one of the best anecdotes I've ever heard. Most people just say to punch the parent. I've been in situations where I wouldn't argue the motion, but this is truly awesome.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
[x] Yay!
But only if family friendly alternatives are enforced. Otherwise everyone everywhere will just put a "no Kids allowed!" sticker up.

If People who don't like Kids and People who'd like to not be annoyed by Kids like to isolate themselves they should be able to take up offers to do just that.

There was a big Discussion in Germany once after some touristtrap tried to close up a part of a Beach so no Kids could enter. People argued that some People just don't like Children for whatever Reason and would like to avoid them. They would be happy and the Families would be happy as well because they don't have to deal with People who act like their Vacation is ruined just because the Kids are around.

The other Side argued that if this gets popular then everyone will just force Kids and by extension Families out and the variety of Places where they can go with their Kids would be even more limited.

Hotels would sell themselves as "no Kids allowed" or as "Family friendly", demanding extra high prices just because they can.

So "Yay", but if you have a "no Kids" Area, you have to have a family Area as well.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I very much agree with banning children from restaurants. People go there to have a fairly good time and enjoy a decent meal and children tend to be distracting and hard to handle.

Aug 25, 2009
dvd_72 said:
MelasZepheos said:
You may be right, but you have to admit that children ruining the mood (be it resteraunt, movie, or any sutch public place) ruines alot of -other- peoples memories of the place. While the fault may be of the parents, it's going to be extremely difficult to fix that without forcing them into some kind of class or some equally difficult thing to do.

This is just an easy way out. A way out I support, though not wholeheartedly. Perhaps a better idea would be for the establishments to reserve the right to remove a family from the premise if thier children are disturbing other customers?
I've had more problems with unruly adults and teenagers when I've gone out, to be honest. My family even has a nickname for them, after one guy who really ruined an evening. We called him the 'Braying Mantis' because he would not stop laughing all night.

And of course, the real problem is teenagers, between the ages of about 16-19, out without parental supervision. Loud, obnoxious, full of themselves and pumped up on their own self-importance. And this one I really can call because I never did this as a teenager, specifically because I had such awful memories from when I was younger.

If you want a fair rule, it should go something like this: Anyone who is disturbing the other customers should be warned of their behaviour, and then asked to leave, regardless of age.

Kids only, adults only, these are disciminatory terms, against certain age groups, and against parents who are capable of raising their children properly.

And also, for the record since this argument is emerging too, I was apparently I very well behaved child and my parents have not hit me once in nearly 22 years. You do not need to hit children to raise them.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
I think you should ban parents/guardians who can't keep their kids under control. But I don't think kids should be banned from certain places, that's unfair on everyone who can control their kids.

It's basically like...when you were 7 and someone misbehaved in class and then NO ONE got free time. It's unfair and just causes resentment.

Btw captcha not it says case closed. :) I like this new captcha thing

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Archangel357 said:
xmbts said:
Children become full citizens, do you really want to show then that segregation is acceptable?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be disciplined I'm saying that actually banning them from places like this is dehumanizing.
My heart bleeds for the little bastards. You know what they should learn? That life isn't fair and that they can't always get their way. That way, they may grow up and actually have pragmatic and realistic worldviews, instead of spouting some old Kumbaya crap like yourself.

*looks at poll numbers*

Looks like the vox populi's on my side, btw. Democracy ftw."

*Slow clap*

Because being the majority makes you right?

Mass ignorance is still ignorance.
Actually, in a democracy, that's EXACTLY what it means. Majority rule is awesome, you should try it sometime.

But I guess you're too good and pure in your idealistic little world to mingle with us common folk.
Either that, or you're seriously PMSing, because that's the only way I can explain such passive-aggressive pseudo-idealism.
Misogyny noted.

As you said, life isn't fair, if you can't deal with a kid then perhaps you should be the bigger person and leave? Or deal with it like a reasonable person.

Kids aren't some other lifeform, you may forget that a few years ago you were one.

You're quick to attack others and infringe on their rights but I imagine you'd find it a great travesty to see this happen to yourself. Try sympathizing with people once in a while, it's good for you.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
You know what would be grate, if parents just didn?t take children to a place that probably isn?t appropriate for them either because of their age, behavior or if it's a place where their child can't be properly supervised (such as a gym where theirs certain equipment around).

It's perfectly fine if privet business want to be child free, for any reason.

As things stand right now very few places that do it and a good portion of them do it for legal reasons. The vast majority of places do cater to families with children because, lets face it, there are a lot of families with children out there. What ever happens there's always going to be a boat load of places families with children can go within a reasonable distance.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
Eh. I guess it could work for fancier places and PG13 and above movies, otherwise no. How else would they learn to behave if they don't go to places where you have to behave? I do support that the place itself would tell the parents that their child is annoying though.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I certainly do approve of banning children from things like cinemas, classy restaurants and perhaps first-class air travel.

However, I thought not taking your kids to places like this was sort of considered common decency already.
The cinemas in my home town have been arranging "baby-cinema" (A screening where children are accepted) for as long as I can remember. Today, they're playing Harry Potter.

SgtLion

Mar 17, 2011
To enact that kind of order, you would be treating the symptom, not the cause. My mother would take me out of a public place or do something effective to shut me up if I caused trouble and disturbed others.

Parents need to know how to look after kids, this is where the problem lies.