Poll: No-kids-allowed movement. Yay or nay?

targren

May 13, 2009
NickCooley said:
I'm sure everyone in this thread drove their parents to distraction on some occasion or another or cried in public as a baby or made too much noise etc. You annoyed everyone around you then and now in turn you have to suffer the new generation.

How self entitled are you people?
No less than these parents who are "inflicting" the "new generation" on us because they don't want to get a sitter rather than bringing a kid to completely inappropriate places.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Fagotto said:
Canid117 said:
Fagotto said:
Canid117 said:
DracoSuave said:
Canid117 said:
Kids shouldn't be allowed into PG13 and R rated movies regardless of parental supervision if they are under the age of 13. Maybe that way I will never hear a six year old talking loudly behind me while I am trying to watch Predators.
So, kids under the age of 13 shouldn't be allowed into moves rated 'Parental Guidance for Children under 13'

Bullocks.

Go to later showings where kids are less likely to be.
Toddlers should not be watching the Dark Knight.
Is there a particular reason you feel it's your business to decide that for people?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlerax1116nu5ji
And for more examples
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/tales.php?trope=TroperTales.Ptitlerax1116nu5ji
That fails to explain why it's you who should be deciding that for parents. Oooh some people think kids shouldn't see some movies. Great, you have a collection of opinions. That's not a strong argument.
Actually its the MPAA which is deciding which movies are PG-13 and R. And the movie theaters would be the ones deciding whether or not six year olds should be allowed to see this:

I hope you can afford therapy.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Generic Gamer said:
Honestly I believe there are some places kids shouldn't be but I think they should have the run of most of the World. Yeah, kids can be annoying but part of taking them out is teching them how to cope with the real world, heck, the Internet proves that forcing kids to be social is probably a good thing!

As an aside I actually find nerds more annoying in public places than kids. They clog aisles, slow down the shopping process and make me look bad by association. You ever tried buying some magic cards whilst some cheese-stink twenty stone manchild yells about whether Jace The Mind Sculptor or Karn Liberated is the better planeswalker, complete with hand gestures and profanities? Shit man, I just want a booster and to go home, I don't need people staring at me off the street.

Oh, and it's definitely Jace.
Hahaha, I've been to a nerd shop near me MANY times and every time there are two things that bug me.

One! The D&D nerds smell AWFUL! They sit in an area right next to the door and smell like they haven't showered in days. And they have no shame about it. Obviously not because they joke about it amongst themselves >_< I admit that I'm a big nerd but I make a point to shower once a day.

Two! The clerk is an ignorant dick. You can be stood waiting for about five minutes holding whatever in you hands whilst he's on the phone making personal calls before he serves you. I know, five minutes doesn't sound long but it seems like forever when your waiting, doing nothing, and he's on the phone chatting to his friends, laughing obnoxiously. I wouldn't mind if he was making calls but pausing whilst he served customers but he doesn't, he just sits behind the counter AND DON'T INTERRUPT HIM! Because that's rude >_<

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Char-Nobyl said:
Nice quoting tower, btw. I'm not being sarcastic, I swear. But I wouldn't be able to pull that off.

Again, I'm not saying kids should be banned from public places, locked inside a care and fed leftovers next to the family's pet.

Do I hate it when I'm trying to pay attention to the moment where Flynn Rider tells Rapunzel he loves her and some kid starts screaming at the top of his lungs "OMG MOM! SHE DIED LULZ!"? Yeah, I do. But I actually try and suck it up. It's a kid's movie, like you said, but it's a risk I take for stepping into a kid zone. Am I upset when I go to Chuck E. Cheese's and I see a kid run dangerously close to my table and almost crash against my meal? Yeah, sure, but again, my own dam fault. What did I expect?

And yeah, I do blame the parents when the kid is being annoying. Indeed, the kid doesn't know any better. If the kid is hungry or bored, he WILL cry. What upsets me is a parent's poor parenting abilities to keep their kid in check. I don't want them to slap them across the face and tell them to shut up, but a good parent wouldn't allow that. Hell, a good, respectful parent would at least step out with their kid for a while so that it doesn't disturb others. I know I would. Again, it's common courtesy.

I have no problem with respectful, well behaved kids. I'd even share my popcorn with them (If that didn't make me look like a pedo?) if they didn't act like little brats. I've been at the movies and I've seen kids giggle and point at the screen and make comments to their parents in an almost-whisper kind of tone. Perfectly fine with it; I have no beef with that family. As a matter of fact, they have my respect. And this is not only at the movies but everywhere. But the moment a little brat starts acting like I should give in to their demands, just like their parents do, then I have a problem.

That's my personal opinion. I agree with this ban partially; I just want to see parents take responsibility for their kids. It's the nice thing to do; it's called being respectful towards others. Just because I don't know the guy sitting next to me on the bus doesn't mean I should be an ass to him. So I guess what I mean is: parents, control your kid. Don't get all angry when someone else steps in and attempts to take matters into their hands if you can't handle your kid.
If you're a good parent, it will show. And then people will have reason to complain. At all.

Kamehapa

Oct 8, 2009
In my opinion, industries should be allowed to institute such rules, but it should not be mandated by the government.

Distant_Twilight

May 18, 2011
Wow, I read the article, and started reading the comments.
And fully agree with some of the views.
Don't discriminate an age group; discriminate the behaviours.
This includes loud cell phone talkers, intentionally loud people, temper tantrums, ect.
I do know polite well behaved 2 year old toddlers, and obnoxious adults who I can be embarrassed to be around.

targren

May 13, 2009
JCBFGD said:
targren said:
The post you're referring to contains my points. Either reply to them, or stop wasting my time and yours.
I did, and did respond to them. Maybe you misposted then? Perhaps you should take notes before posting.

laughingstock2909

Apr 22, 2009
there are thousands of things that can and will go wrong, since this is on the global level, more people are bound to exploit it

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
I'm for this because parents need to get it through their thick skulls that their kids are THEIR RESPONSIBILITY AND NO ONE ELSE'S! I have two perfect examples of lazy/horrendous parenting. I was at an Eat N' Park with a bunch of friends and we were facing a table with two young girls no older than 5. The one little girl who was facing us started THROWING UP ALL OVER HERSELF! What does the mom do? She sits there and doesn't do a bleeding thing! Even after her child threw up a second time, she still did not take the girl to the bathroom or anything! I wanted to scream at them! I almost couldn't eat after that one!
Second one was when I was at the mall. This woman was with her mother and her toddler and a young baby. I sat there and listened to the baby cry for a good fifteen minutes before the grandmother got up and picked the baby up out of its carrier! For the love of god people!!!!!!

JCBFGD

Jul 10, 2011
targren said:
Alright, cool, man. Thanks for letting me know that we can't have a civil debate. Sorry for any words on my part that offended you, although I still stick with my main point of "it's nonsensical to ban all kids because of a few bad ones."

If you wish to carry on with the debate without any vitriol, I'm game.

tanithwolf

For The Epic Tanith Wolf
Mar 26, 2009
I can't believe the support for this, it is blatant ageism not to mention discrimination against parents. Could the people who so fervently believe in this ban do the world a favour and never have kids, the gene pool would be much better off. Seriously you?re supporting something which basically says ?IF YOU?RE A PARENT YOU ARE SECOND CLASS TO EVERYONE ELSE?, that?s a great idea to give potential parents. It basically encourages population decline, genius, just genius.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Ok first of all. Children have no rights (or atleast very limited) but those of you who want to ban children are infringing on the PARENTS rights. So don't talk about how you can smoke and drink and drive and do things kids can't, you and the parents have equal rights.

Private business can choose to serve who they wish but they can't discriminate based on some factors, I don't know if this would deserve a special protection but it should. You should not punish people because they are asian or female and likewise you shouldn't punish people who are parents. If we stopped having children today, in 100 years we would be extinct. Children are important, I wish people would stop acting like they are pets or something.

Why has it become so popular to hate on parents and even children? Think about what social movement drives this hate and let me know, cause I really am curious.

Hating the offspring of your own species is not healthy at all. Society is sick but it isn't the parents who are the sick ones.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
First, I will probably be a virgin till I bite it for a lot of reasons, and I probably won't have kids, adopted or otherwise. And I find the decision to restrict parents/kids movement abhorrent. It's the same as banning or restricting couples to show signs of affection in public.

It's like all the angry people who don't have kids, a significant other banded together and start throwing rules out there on the premise of well, making others feel bad about themselves. How can you honestly believe that wanting to have kids is just to pop out another "of oneself"? That's cloning you dummy.

targren

May 13, 2009
tanithwolf said:
I can't believe the support for this, it is blatant ageism not to mention discrimination against parents. Could the people who so fervently believe in this ban do the world a favour and never have kids, the gene pool would be much better off. Seriously you?re supporting something which basically says ?IF YOU?RE A PARENT YOU ARE SECOND CLASS TO EVERYONE ELSE?, that?s a great idea to give potential parents. It basically encourages population decline, genius, just genius.
Very emotive. It misses a few points, some rather important.

With 6+ Billion people on this gods-forsaken rock, slowing (not 'halting', as you so hysterically put it) the offspring of the species for awhile wouldn't be a terrible thing.

"Blatant Ageism": The list of things that children are not allowed to do is mighty and growing. Most because of overactive handwringing political d-bags, but some because they legitimately should not be doing them. That's the same argument uppity teens use to why they should be able to smoke and drink. You're not going to get anywhere with it.

Parents are not being discriminated against. Read the facts. They're welcome everywhere that has policies like this. They just need to hire a babysitter, which they should be doing anyway. So unless you're going to pull the same bogus card the other guy did and say that "forcing them to pay for a sitter is wrong" (Kids cost money. Deal with it or be smart enough not to have any), they can go wherever they want but, shock of shocks, those places might not be appropriate for kids. Or does it tell parents that they're "Second class citizens" that they can't bring their kids into the local strip club, too?

Dane Tesston

Jul 27, 2010
I agree with it, and I hate myself for it. It goes against pretty much everything I believe in or stand for, and yet I find myself falling in with it. I know there are better ways to go about it, but my dislike for humans under the age of atleast 13 is getting the better of me here.

Kernalgohd

Nov 8, 2010
You would not believe how many brats there are that I want to punch in the mouth, which I have to deal with at work. I don't just hate the kids though, I hate their parents, they let them whine, and scream, first, its horrible to let them freak out, what if its because their face is melting or some crap. Second, if they get to be as loud as they want, don't you think that will effect their future? Nothing worse than a loudmouth brat that's grown up in a classroom. Anyways, leave them at home! get a babysitter and give them parents consent to beat the piss outta them if they backtalk. I don't know about the rest of you, but I never freaked out like this generation does, and it seems to have started from the no hitting children thing... I would love nothing more than to have quiet in public, I have honestly never heard it before because of these crazy children and irresponsible parents.