Poll: Not again, please have mercy ?

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
Hello fellow Escapists ! I am writing this because I am sick and tired of seeing the racism topic every day in 1000 different threads. And it gets really, really bad. With no offence to the writer ?174: What if the Player is Black? ? is probably the worst articles I`ve read on the Escapist, ever !
Does everybody really need to discuss on this topic 24/7 ?

Let`s take it to the polls shall we ?

Again, my excuses go to Brenda and other people who find this topic sacred.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
You know what I'm sick of?

People that make a thread to complain about something that they are blowing way out of proportion.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
If someone wants to be a badge whore, then they can do so, so long as they do it with style.

Also; controversial subjects are excellent discussion, the very thing that Forums were invented for.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
You're getting awfully worked up over what averages out to, like, one article a month.

-- Alex

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The Iron Ninja said:

People that make a thread to complain about something that they are blowing way out of proportion.
Know what I'm sick of? Cabbage. That stuff is nasty. :(

Okay, okay, I should post something to do with the thread topic.

Give it a week and people will have gotten over it. I'd take a wild 'guess' that it's due to Obama winning the Presidency and people are still cheering/up in arms about it, so the topic of his skin colour *has* to come up somewhere. I think there's an Internet Rule about it. Has anyone compared him to Hitler yet? We should work on that.

But yeah, give it a week and no one will care anymore.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
snowplow said:
yeah that article disgusts me.

What if the player is black? Why should it matter? So are you admitting that blacks and whites are different kinds of people and thus not equal?

Fuck, what if the player is a rape victim? An asian rape victim? Or perhaps wheelchair bound?

This shit is beyond ridiculous.

Asian wheelchair bound black jewish bald rape victim ?

Now THAT would be a minority.

And yeah... Incessant banging on the same old racism topic will only exacerbate the hate the few ignorant racists have for other ethnicities just because people won't shut up about it.

There's a time to bang on the drums, and a time to let things rest, people fail to understand this.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I can sort of see the relevance & issues raised if the player's character is black.

With Saint's Row 2 & Fable 2, the games allowed males to play as females, and I've read a lot of comments by these virtually transgendered guys defending their decision to take the role of a female by saying things like "I'm not gay, I love playing with women in real life so much so it's natural I want to do it in a game too" & "I'd rather spend hours staring at a hot woman's butt than a guy's. Dude I'm not gay".

So obviously these people are offended by having to play as black characters, since they're not sexually attracted to black people & would find being forced to stare at a black person's butt when playing a game as an affront to their sexuality.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
You know.. I saw that thread title and expected something involving a domina and severe sadism. I have this growing sense of disappointment now.

falcontwin

Aug 10, 2008
I find it odd that people whom racism does not affect in any way feel the need to discuss it over and over. If you are a white anglosaxon in what way does the plight of the black person play in your everyday life?

Answer? none at all!.

Unless you have walked a mile in my shoes you do not know of my plight!

Fighting for the cause of people you "feel sorry for" is the worst kind of condescension!

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Note to self. Read OP before voting. Actually I thought the "what if the player is black" article was pretty fair. My mind struggles to think of many black (or non-white) protagonists that aren't very much designed around the fact they're non-white (like CJ from San Andreas, good character but very much about being in a stereotypical black situation).

John Dalton from Unreal 2
The test subject in Portal

Erm...

The girl in Mirror's Edge seems to be oriental?

Crackdown does it reasonably well because even the white characters look like fake Gangsta Rappers.

I get the point when it's character creation or something like a fighting game, even more so. No one wants a racist stereotype of your own race wailing on you (I'm looking at you Eddy Gordo).

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
falcontwin said:
I find it odd that people whom racism does not affect in any way feel the need to discuss it over and over. If you are a white anglosaxon in what way does the plight of the black person play in your everyday life?

Answer? none at all!.

Fighting for the cause of people you "feel sorry for" is the worst kind of condescension!
You want to fight racism, but you don't want the support of the majority?
Forgive me, but your logic is hard to follow.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
The Iron Ninja said:

you know what I'm sick of?

I bet you if you've been hanging around these forums for the past week and been paying attention you've seen my tirades.

I'll give you a hint.

This thread has one.

*grinds teeth*

falcontwin

Aug 10, 2008
Hawgh said:
falcontwin said:

Answer? none at all!.

Not sure which post you are replying to but I guess it's mine as you quoted it.

I do not understand why people who rascism does not affect feel so offended by it!

I'm assuming you are white for this next bit but if someone called you a ****** would you feel degraded or would you think it was funny (given you are white)

So yes racism is bad but you can't feel it.

You want to fight racism, but you don't want the support of the majority?
Forgive me, but your logic is hard to follow.
Not sure which post you are replying to but I guess it's mine as you quoted it.

I do not understand why people who rascism does not affect feel so offended by it!

I'm assuming you are white for this next bit but if someone called you a ****** would you feel degraded or would you think it was funny (given you are white)

So yes racism is bad but only if it is pointed at you personally

FuzziBunni

Jun 11, 2008
Okay, I am sick of people always saying "It's a stereotype and I find offense." If you are a different religion or race and the game you are playing does not reflect that then either suck it up and enjoy, or don't play it. Don't pull the "you're racist card" because that is just unfair. Why is it racist if a character is made a certain colour? Would it still be racist if all the main characters in every game were anything but white? How about just a few were white? Would you still be complaining? Would you be fighting for the other side like you are fighting for yours?

I am all for equality in games. In a perfect world for every white male character lead that was made, there was one made for every other nationality, colour, sexual orientation, age, gender and hair colour. But guess what? Not possible. Companies look at who is buying their games, and the majority are white young males. Why move away from the moneymakers?

Leave it to game creators. The lead is chosen for a reason and if you still don't like that, then go to school for programming and create your own fucking game.