Poll: Not allowed to buy an M-rated game

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
he did his job properly, good on him. selling an age restricted item to under age people can cause a lot of problems id you get reported, it's not worth it.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
ninjapenguin981 said:
MetalDooley said:
ninjapenguin981 said:
The one thing that pissed me off about this was I went to by a game. 16 when I went to buy it. Now the game I was trying to buy was Uncharted 2, which is a 15, I don't look young for my age but the guy still asked for ID. I showed him my bus pass which is a special 16-18 one that's got my picture and 16-18 on the same card, yet the guy still wouldn't sell it to me.

Unfair or what?
Not really.It's a Bus Pass which probably wouldn't be accepted as I.D anywhere apart from buses.Not sure about where you are but in Ireland the only forms of I.D most places will accept are Passport and National Age Card
Yet it was good enough for the guy in the other GAME just a little bit further down the road?
As I said I don't know how it works where you are but it sounds like the guy in Gamestop was just sticking to the rules whereas the guy in Game wasn't.Hardly unfair,more like just a guy doing his job.I used to work in a Movie and game rental store and there's no way I would have accepted a bus pass as a valid I.D

ninjapenguin981

Jul 10, 2009
MetalDooley said:
ninjapenguin981 said:
MetalDooley said:
ninjapenguin981 said:
The one thing that pissed me off about this was I went to by a game. 16 when I went to buy it. Now the game I was trying to buy was Uncharted 2, which is a 15, I don't look young for my age but the guy still asked for ID. I showed him my bus pass which is a special 16-18 one that's got my picture and 16-18 on the same card, yet the guy still wouldn't sell it to me.

Unfair or what?
Not really.It's a Bus Pass which probably wouldn't be accepted as I.D anywhere apart from buses.Not sure about where you are but in Ireland the only forms of I.D most places will accept are Passport and National Age Card
Yet it was good enough for the guy in the other GAME just a little bit further down the road?
As I said I don't know how it works where you are but it sounds like the guy in Gamestop was just sticking to the rules whereas the guy in Game wasn't.Hardly unfair,more like just a guy doing his job.I used to work in a Movie and game rental store and there's no way I would have accepted a bus pass as a valid I.D
I understand that but you misunderstood me. These were both GAMEs, Gamestops don't even exist in Britain, I'd have thought that the rules would be the same in both.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
ninjapenguin981 said:
MetalDooley said:
ninjapenguin981 said:
MetalDooley said:
ninjapenguin981 said:

Unfair or what?
I understand that but you misunderstood me. These were both GAMEs, Gamestops don't even exist in Britain, I'd have thought that the rules would be the same in both.
You don't have Gamestop in Britain?Ok think I just had GS in my head because the OP was on about it.I would imagine that the rules are identical in both stores but it was just a case of one guy sticking to the rules and one not.You'll always get employees who are a bit more lax about enforcing the rules

mrjoe94

Sep 28, 2009
Yeah he was right . I would've done the same...."Hello there" *Guy comes up with Just Cause 2* "Can i see your ID?" *gives ID* "Well it looks like you are only 16 therfore i cannot sell you this game" "F***k you!" "I don't go for that sorta thing pal, have a nice day :)"

Typical Scenario i'm sure but the law's the law no matter what.

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
1) It is their right to refuse to sell to you for any reason they want, so yeah, they're within their rights.

2) M ratings are given out like candy. Some games deserve them. Many do not.

3) I'm 29 and still get carded at Best Buy when I try to buy an M-Rated game. I look at the cashier a moment. "Seriously? Like I'm under 17?" I've been old enough to purchase M-Rated games since these kids were in grade school. The whole experience is very annoying.

EDIT: 4) Why does everyone think this is a legal obligation? Two people in this thread have pointed out that this is *not* the law, and that Gamestop *could* legally sell you the game if it wanted to. Everyone else has it wrong. Some of them probably because they come from places like the UK or Australia where it *is* legally binding, but the Americans have no excuse for not knowing their own system.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
What is there not to understand? You are not old enough to buy the game. I couldn't have gone out a month before my 21st birthday and expect to be served in bars because I seemed "more mature". You can't have it both ways. Either find someone of age to get it for you, like the rest of us who were underage once, or wait until you can buy it on your own.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
As everyone else has said, they were doing their job, and I don't agree with you at all. 1 month is hardly a long time to wait. Law is law. However, what would suck was if they denied you sale despite being of age, and providing ID. You know, the typical "It could be fake, I mean, you've got a babyface" scenario.

DeleteThisPlease

Mar 26, 2010
Jarrid said:
HG131 said:
Jarrid said:
On the one side, I can see why you'd think "it's just a few months" and I sorta agree... but on the other, I'm ashamed your parents have allowed you to acquire a collection of M-rated games when you're underage; way to fail at parenting.
Yes, because there is no such thing as mature people under 17, and as soon as you turn 17 you become mature, riiiiight. I'm going to file this under trolling.
Wow, you're certainly antsy to report people for trolling, aren't 'cha? First Trist66, now me.
'cept Trist was frothing at the mouth on some tear about how long hair undermines society or some such nonsense... I was pointing out that M-rated games are forbidden for persons under the age of 17 and regardless of how "mature" they might be, if they play said games before that age, they are undermining the law. A law which opponents of "violent vidya games" are already claiming isn't good enough to "protect children" from these games.
Effectively, minors that play M-rated games when they shouldn't are just fueling the fires for witch-burning censors and lobbyists.
But even then, it's the parents fault, not the minors. And really, I don't see anything wrong with kids playing videogames. I would let my kids (if I had them) play Modern Warfare 2 (I would make them stay in party chat or turn off voice communications, but still...) but I wouldn't let them play Grand Theft Auto IV (or any of the GTA games) or Saints Row 1&2 or Prototype.

I mean, as long as the parents are working WITH their kids to pick out a game, and the parents KNOW what they are going into by using review websites (My parents and I found a awesome website that was a 'parents review' site. I lost the URL but I'll find it again hopefully...) to see just what exactly is in the game they want to get little Aris or Bob, then it's all good for the kid to be playing whatever game it is. If that's what the parents want them to be able to have access to, go for it.

But that doesn't mean that the kids should be able to walk into a GameStop and just pick up a copy of Manhunt 2 for the Wii or some other more 'brutal' game and buy it without parentals around.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Seeing as they can get in a legal twist if they allow you to. Then yeah, they were right.

Sorry, mate. That's how it goes.

EDIT: I just had a weird moment of self-realization... I don't think anyone will ever read this post. Ever.