Poll: Oblivion or Fallout?

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
Wow, this is tough. I'll go with Oblivion because of the Shivering Isles; and the Ring of Disrobing.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
Fallout 3 was a much better game. Oblivion felt so dull and lifeless I could never finish it.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
I adore Oblivion, so I voted for it, but I'm pretty sure Fallout 3 was a better game. The story, characters, and dialog just felt so much better.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
King Toasty said:
Alright, so Skyrim is on the horizon. I'm excited for it, but not well-versed in RPGs. Which game is better/more fun, Oblivion or Fallout 3? Note, I have a PS3.

To generalize, which do YOU like best?
I like Oblivion better.

Which one you like better will boil down to whether you prefer Fantasy or Sci-Fi

Does throwing fireballs and swinging swords seem more fun than shooting super-mutants in the face? There's no clear winner here They're both very solid games.

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
I voted Fallout, purely on the story writing, narrative and overall enjoyment. Although both games are quirky in their own way, i still can't find all the jokes and easter eggs after almost 4 years of playing the game.

The Shadowlord

Jul 18, 2011
I've played Fallout: New Vegas, but not Fallout 3, so I'll just pretend the former is the latter. And I didn't really like Oblivion and didn't get far, so my vote is for Fallout. Even if that didn't really tickle my fancies either, although I got farther in that.

Warlokk

Jun 10, 2010
I could not possibly choose one or the other... I have over a hundred hours and at least a half-dozen characters in each one, each played with a variety of different mods and a different character style depending on what was available at the time. It just depends on which I'm in the mood for, fantasy/swords or sci-fi/guns. Both are excellent, although FO3 is several years newer so the updated engine benefits it a bit. Of course I played both on PC, so your mileage may vary on the PS3.

Honestly, get both... Oblivion is old now so it should be way cheap.

SeriousIssues

Jan 6, 2010
Fallout 3 struck me better, though I do want to pick Oblivion back up, because it'll be like an all new playthrough to me because I don't remember a thing.

SinorKirby

May 1, 2009
Aidinthel said:
Fallout 3. The two games are very similar except Fallout is better in every way.
Except it's not. Oblivion had a more expansive world, mounts, more depth, way more color, better RPG elements, more content, better weapons, better armors, and more character races.

The Elder Scrolls games will always be more fun and enjoyable than the Fallout games(post Fallout Tactics anyways).

Bugerion

Jan 10, 2011
Oblivion kept me on my computer the whole summer so it takes the crown and I feel like I became a true gamer with that game IDK why

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
I liked fallout more because I love customization so much, and I think fallout has more. Sure you can look unique in the lower levels, but later you end up in ebony if you're combat, robe of sithis if you're stealth, and an enchanted robe if you're magic. In fallout I made a character with a 50's hat, leopard print PJs, an asault rifle, and a handlebar mustache.

Although I love sword and shield combat, it just looks terrible in oblivion. In fallout combat looks a bit more natural at least.

I'll admit the world is better in Oblivion, and you need mods to make the fallout map tolerable, but I digress.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Fallout, because I like the setting and arsenal a bit more.
Oblivion has magic, sure, but all of the weapons are basically the same.
Maces, swords, axes; they all handle exactly the same.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I like Oblivion more, though Fallout is great as well. The movement and shooting in Fallout feels clunky to me. I always thought if they were going to give you guns, they should have made it feel more like a shooter with tight, quick controls and agile movement. I also think Oblivion's more colorful and visually interesting world takes advantage of the sandbox concept more than the stark, washed-out world of Fallout. Oblivion also has more to do.

Joey Wonton

Jun 12, 2011
I love the theme of fallout and the environment it created.
Oblivion, while it had nice cities and was amazing when I first played it, felt monotonous in the environment.
Fallout was also monotonous, but that was the aim of Fallout, so it doesn't get so many minus points.

Oblivion is obviously better for getting into the Skyrim spirit due to the same universe and stuff, but I went on it recently and it did feel a lot more dated than Fallout.

The real question is; Do you like Guns or Magic?