Poll: Oblivion or Fallout?

SweetNess_666

Sep 2, 2009
Absolutely adore fo3 never really got into oblivion which surprises me as I like the whole rpg element and love wow but oblivion never grabbed me

XxMLGxX

Jul 18, 2011
i like fallout cuz u can get flame throwers and the vats thing but i never use it cuz aiming is really easy in that game i just level up all my gun skills and then i shoot super mutants lol ive only used vats once and that was in the tutorial but i honestly dont know why they chose to make all the stats in either of the games lol

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
This isn't really fair though, is it? Fallout is three years younger than Oblivion, has more advanced tech and they learned from their experiences a little.

I'd go for Oblivion, just for the cherry popping factor, but, speaking objectively, I'd have to say that Fallout beasts Oblivion.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
Fallout is younger than oblivion and a clear, natural progression so it pretty much has to be better. In terms of when they were released, i.e. how good they were compared to the competition, Oblivion has it hands down. Also, it was my first RPG and the first game I really got absorbed into so I love it all the more for that.

Mechalemmiwinks

Aug 27, 2008
I like Fallout better. I play a LOT of fantasy card games, board games, tabletop, etc, and I still think Fallout embraces the sci-fi genre better than Morrowind embraces the fantasy genre. By "better", I mean with heavy-handed sarcasm and sexiness.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
I prefer FO3 to Oblivion. But that's possibly due to the mods that up the survivalist nature of the game. FO quests are much more variable in their completion, and karma (whilst still not perfect) works better than 'STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!' when you *look* at something that isn't yours.

Frankly, Oblivion barely registers as an RPG to me. It's like Eye of the Beholder claiming to be an RPG - it's a dungeon hack on (admittedly) a huge scale. It merely gives the illusion of freedom/sandbox.

Personally, the only way I'd be willing to consider Oblivion above Fallout 3 would be if the combat mechanics were the same as Mount & Blade. Truly, the combat for Oblivion is awful. And if the number of combatants could compare to M&B in the important battles. Seriously .. the Battle for Kvatch? Me + 5 guards, 4 of whom are butchered by midget imps. IMPS?! Leaving me, AGAIN, to single handedly cut a swathe through hell. And that laughable 'final' battle in the snow? Jeesh ...

Goddamn, Oblivion with M&B combat (directional blocking, head shots, MOUNTED COMBAT *squeal*) and M&B battle sizes (it doesn't have to be Helm's Deep, but c'mon, 12 in the battle to save the kingdom?!?); now that wouldn't just be GOTY. It'd be Game Of The Frickin' Decade.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Mr. Google said:
Aidinthel said:
Fallout 3. The two games are very similar except Fallout is better in every way.
I want examples that arent subject to your opinion on that one.

OT: Oblivion all the way suckers. Anyone who prefers Fallout is obviously a virgin and has a small penis, thats why Oblivion is better.
Yes I was joking. I prefer the elfs and orks environment in Oblivion more and as bland as Oblivion can be, there is still a lot more to find in its world than in Fallout 3s bland, green and grey environment which has no atmosphere what so ever.

EDIT: Oh, and also, Oblivion has a lot more to do, even though Fallout has fancy things like crafting. Want to do everything in Oblivion? Better pack some lunch to take with you cause your in for a 100-200 hour playthrough. Want to do everything in Fallout 3? Done and done in no less than 26 hours or so.
LIES! after 40 hours of FO3 i hadn't done everything yet. Though You're right oblivion does have a lot more.
No I totally get what you're saying. I added most of my time by just wandering and exploring. If you got the broken steel DLC that could add hours of gameplay just by trying to level up. You're obviously going by the game itself but I'm just saying.

Really? Maybe I just suck at playing Fallout 3 then. But anyhow, when I first got the game I loved it (still like it a fair bit) and played the fuck out of it for 30 or 40 hours. Then, I stopped, because there was nothing left to do.

I was like WHAT? Thats it? Holy shit. Googled for more quests, found none. No side quests left. All bobbleheads save one or two stowed away in my house.

Maybe I just didnt do enough random wandering around in the wasteland, but to be honest I didnt really feel that inclined to do so since its very bare and there is not much to find (although I did shit brix when I found that one very colorful place in the north, if you catch my gist).

Note that by no means do I think Fallout 3 is a bad game, its pretty good, but eh.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Never got into Fallout 3. Played it, and after only a few hours I had already gotten a pile of cash, a house with a robotic butler and about a billion guns. Kinda destroyed the post-apocalyptic feel when it's so easy getting things.

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
I think Fallout is more accessible than the Elder Scrolls. While Fallout's about a narrative experience, Elder Scrolls is about the mechanics and exploration. That's not to say you can't love the Fallout mechanics and exploration, or that you can't enjoy the narrative of the Elder Scrolls, that just seems to be the focus of their energies to me.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
I prefer the fantasy setting, however Fallout 3 won it for me.

It's... awesome. The emersion is great with all the old-timey music and mutants and whatnot, that is until it freezes.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Mr. Google said:
Mr. Google said:
Aidinthel said:
Fallout 3. The two games are very similar except Fallout is better in every way.
I want examples that arent subject to your opinion on that one.

OT: Oblivion all the way suckers. Anyone who prefers Fallout is obviously a virgin and has a small penis, thats why Oblivion is better.
Yes I was joking. I prefer the elfs and orks environment in Oblivion more and as bland as Oblivion can be, there is still a lot more to find in its world than in Fallout 3s bland, green and grey environment which has no atmosphere what so ever.

EDIT: Oh, and also, Oblivion has a lot more to do, even though Fallout has fancy things like crafting. Want to do everything in Oblivion? Better pack some lunch to take with you cause your in for a 100-200 hour playthrough. Want to do everything in Fallout 3? Done and done in no less than 26 hours or so.
LIES! after 40 hours of FO3 i hadn't done everything yet. Though You're right oblivion does have a lot more.
No I totally get what you're saying. I added most of my time by just wandering and exploring. If you got the broken steel DLC that could add hours of gameplay just by trying to level up. You're obviously going by the game itself but I'm just saying.

Really? Maybe I just suck at playing Fallout 3 then. But anyhow, when I first got the game I loved it (still like it a fair bit) and played the fuck out of it for 30 or 40 hours. Then, I stopped, because there was nothing left to do.

I was like WHAT? Thats it? Holy shit. Googled for more quests, found none. No side quests left. All bobbleheads save one or two stowed away in my house.

Maybe I just didnt do enough random wandering around in the wasteland, but to be honest I didnt really feel that inclined to do so since its very bare and there is not much to find (although I did shit brix when I found that one very colorful place in the north, if you catch my gist).

Note that by no means do I think Fallout 3 is a bad game, its pretty good, but eh.
Haha, then its all good. To be fair I played the game vanilla (apart from some minor bug patches etc) and never bought any of the DLCs. At the end of the day Fallout 3 and Oblivion are both perfectly functional games, Fallout maybe a little more than Oblivion, but some people including me just prefer Oblivion because its "Orks and Elfs and Magic". Also, you fucked up the quote a bit.
Wow...yeah i did fuck that up. And obviously anyone looking for the fantasy aspect is going to like Oblivion more. Now what this should have compared was Oblivion and New Vegas. I know that NV came out a long time after so it wouldn't be totally fair but NV was just what FO3 should have been.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
syrus27 said:
What is wrong with this site, Oblivion was THE best game of all time!
Heh heh ......

I think both games are one of the bigges, most overrated pieces of shit ever released.
If I had to choose I would say Oblivion, because it's less terrible than F3.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Morrowind > Olivion

Fallout: New Vegas > Fallout 3

However, if I have to pick one, I'll go with Oblivion.

Oblivion was Bethesda making a crap game with their own universe, Fallout 3 was Bethesda taking another universe and making it crap.

Thankfully Obsidian came along and washed away the aliens, Little Lamplight and horrible writing.

syrus27 said:
What is wrong with this site, Oblivion was THE best game of all time!
Hehe...errr, wait...are you serious?

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Why is there no Both option....

Oblivion was...hectic but it became amusing

Fallout 3 was great

Fallout New Vegas could use some work...still good but it has potholes

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I kind of preferred Oblivion to be honest. I just kind of preferred fantasy settings to post apocalyptic settings. Not to mention you can play as a bipedal lizard. Fuck yes.

Jason Fayers

Jul 8, 2011
I'ld say the world of Oblivion is better than Fallout 3's, but Fallout 3 has the better gameplay.

Actually to sum up my opinion better, Oblivion is a large game that seems to have a few faults that let make the player feel cheated; like the leveling system and level based rewards. Where as, Fallout 3 is a moderate game that has been polished quite nicely; though the main quest is a tad short and you can skip a whole chunk of it.

Overall I'ld say Fallout 3 was the better game, because I found it to be the most fun, but Oblivion is a close second only let down by a few mistakes that left me feeling cheated. Also, when you think about it Oblivion is like Runescape on steroids, I'll let you decide if that's a good thing or not.