Poll: Oblivion

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
So with Skyrim being a big thing in gaming news lately I figure I should finally ask this, should I try Oblivion? It's something I've wanted to play since its initial release, but I've heard rumors that the story was really bad and several other things made it annoying, but I'm still curious. So fellow escapists, should I experience the previous adventure of the elder scrolls before Skyrim comes out?

EDIT: What the hell happened to my poll? Ugh, well whatever. Thank you for your opinions guys.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
PC, mods, YES.

Seriously, that's the correct answer.

Go here. Just... DON'T... look up "Estrus", OK? It's for your own good.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
lacktheknack said:
PC, mods, YES.

This man has it!

Oblivion is one of if not my favorite game of all time. I've spent hundreds of hours playing that game and that's even having started with only the Xbox version. After I got the Pc version I added another hundred hours without even touching all the mods.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
It depends on what you look for in an RPG. I've recently discovered what I love about Oblivion, a lot of people here hate, and what they love about it, I seem to hate.

(in case you're wondering, I strongly dislike the mods)

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
Yeah, check it out. Don't go crazy with the mods at first, but do start with the ones that fix most of the bad stuff.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Well I played the 360 version with no ability to mod and still loved it to bits, one of my all time favorites.

One word of advice - turn the difficulty slider down about 5 notches to the left when you start. Makes the game less of a slog.

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
Absolutely
The mods on the PC version are unbelievable, so get it on PC if at all possible. The console versions are excellent games though even without the mods.

AmbitiousWorm

I'm going to leave this blank.
Dec 2, 2010
That game is one of the biggest time sinks I have ever played. "Class in one hour? Lots of time for a little gaming. What do you mean I'm getting expelled for skipping?"

But seriously even without getting into mods it was great.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
While it may not be up to par with Morrowind, it is still an amazing game in its own right. It has its flaws, what game doesn't, but as long as it's on the PC, you can mod it to your liking.

It's the only game I got 1000/1000 achievement points on the 360 for.

Shade184

Nov 11, 2009
Eh, can't hurt.

Although, if you do, I cannot stress enough how much you should get the Shivering Isles expansion. In my opinion, it's even better than the main game itself.

lacktheknack said:
PC, mods, YES.

Go here. Just... DON'T... look up "Estrus", OK? It's for your own good.
Oh god, anything but Estrus! D: That's messed up.

Bang25

Dec 6, 2010
Who said the story is bad? That's not important anyway. You play Oblivion for the side quests, which are fantastic. Some things are annoying, the enemy level-up system is weird. Enemies can level up faster than you, especially if you weren't focusing on combat or you put off the main quest for too long. You can find yourself being rapidly outclassed by your enemies. Mountain lions suck.
On the other hand, the game is absolutely beautiful the world is kind of copy pasted though. Every cave, every field, and every forest looks the same. The quests are fantastic and have a nice variety to them. There are assassination quests which are awesome. Thief quests that have a very good plot to them. Fighting quests whih aren't as good, but some encounters are epic or are just plain cool. There are also Mages quests. There are also quests for demonic cults, lords and ladies of the land, and random quests you stumble upon in towns or in the wilderness. It's very fun to explore Oblivion, and the game is huge.
The worst part of the game (probably) is the voice acting and the characters that roam the world. There are only about three or four personalities spread across hundreds of people. There are maybe five voices between them, and twelve faces, maybe. The "conversations" the characters have with each other are boring, repetitive and awkwardly delivered. It's easy to ignore though and there are quite a few interesting characters anyway.
Oblivion is worth buying. You can get Oblivion and two expansion packs for twenty dollars now, and it is definitely worth it. The Shivering Isles is included with it, and it is VERY fun. Shaegoroth or whatever is one of my favorite characters ever. He's funny, and insane. The Shivering Isles is like a messed up Alice in Wonderland. BUY THE GAME NOW. It will last you until Skyrim at least.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
WorldCritic said:
So with Skyrim being a big thing in gaming news lately I figure I should finally ask this, should I try Oblivion? It's something I've wanted to play since its initial release, but I've heard rumors that the story was really bad and several other things made it annoying, but I'm still curious. So fellow escapists, should I experience the previous adventure of the elder scrolls before Skyrim comes out?

EDIT: What the hell happened to my poll? Ugh, well whatever. Thank you for your opinions guys.
You should definetly give it a go and I think you can get GOTY very cheap

I didn't like it but I think thats mainly because I played it a few years to late , after Fallout 3 and Dragon age it just seemed very "meh" and bland, and there were too many things that ruined it for me such as lack of imersion

the main thing being (I I've said this a million times on escapist, I know) is that my characher was not a charahter, she was a walking camera, it was as if the NPC's were bored and didnt really care about anyhting anymore...and no dialuge options, I know some people say you make that stuff up yourself but story writing is not my job,its the devs, plus I need SOMTHING to work with

Im on the fence In regards to Skyrim, Im sure they will improve NPC AI ect, but I still don't like being a walking camera

but By all means give it a go and form your own opionion, and Im sure its very fun with modding though I never really worked out how to mod

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
On pc or on a console, its a great game. Yes, try it. Make sure you get The Shivering Isles as well. I prefer it to the main game.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
If you're fond of wandering around in a generic fantasy setting doing quests for random NPCs, it's probably a great game.

...I just couldn't get past it being generic fantasy universe #954,237,085...

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
It's alright. I hated it until I tried a mage character, the melee combat is just too boring for my tastes.

Playing as a mage on the other hand, was quite fun.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
lacktheknack said:
PC, mods, YES.

Seriously it is, whatever you do do not go console for Oblivion. If only because the console does not have the game saving mods that essentially "fix" what would otherwise be a fairly broken game.