Poll: Okay, this might be a silly idea, but...

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Kendarik said:
BreakfastMan said:
Kendarik said:
Commuter literacy is good. Programming will never be needed by most people.
To re-iterate post #4: neither will geometry. Yet, that does not seem to stop schools being required to teach kids the basics of geometry, since geometry is still required to graduate.
I disagree. Basic geometry will be used by a surprising number of people in their lives. Ever plan to build a deck? Paint a room? It is a real life skill which is applied to many other things.
So can computer programming. Want to make a website? Build an app? Create a basic program to help with math? You need to have (or learn) the basics of programming.

El Dwarfio

Jan 30, 2012
BreakfastMan said:
It's a nice idea, but it's also a huge waste of time and money. How many people are going to be able to apply those skills in later life?

Also basic programming is pretty simple, I learnt it as a side in one month of my Junior year to help with my GIS programming.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
BreakfastMan said:
True, but most of the languages have a lot in common. Stuff like while loops, if statements, and functions will pretty much be the same across most languages. Just learning the basics in an easy-to-use language like Python or even Java would work, since a lot of the syntax in those is the same across the board. I am not talking about teaching kids the ins and outs of MySQL or anything (that could be saved for an elective), just the basics that are fairly universal.
It's simply an unnecessary addition in the already busy highschool curriculum that has very little if any real world application.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Should we have schools teach basic programming skills? I mean, our society is becoming just as dependent on computers as we are on the printed word; we teach kids to read and write, why don't we teach them to program? It could be another key skill added to "the big 3" (reading, writing, math).

Just teach them basic programming stuff around the same time they are beginning to learn how to read, write, and do basic mathematical functions. "Hello world" and all that. You can then gradually introduce more complex concepts, like OO programming, as they get older, like we do with reading or math.

So what do you think? Am I crazy, or do I have a point?

EDIT: Full disclosure: I am a programmer. Take that for what you will.
Hell yes. I completely and fully agree with this.

The reason why India and China will have more money than the Western world in 15 years is that their children can fucking program. The IT industry makes serious bank, so let's do our children a favor and make them employable.

I am not a programmer. Take that for what you will.

And to all you people saying "This won't help me in the real world": Bullshit. Imagine for a second that you could make your computer do anything you want. Sounds great, right? Yes, it does, and that's why programming should be more important than mathematics nowadays.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Paya Chin said:
srzzzly... schools already have enough trouble teaching alabama and brazil bloody english. we shouldn't set the standards for the human race THAT high just yet.
I think you think that programming (and the learning thereof) is much harder than it really is. It really is not much harder than math or writing...
Exactly. The only reason why you think it's hard is that you've never been taught it before.

Again, coming from a non-programmer.

3 legged goat

Feb 28, 2010
I don't think it should be required, but it should definitely be an elective. I wish my school have programming. All we get is a basic computer class that teaches you how to use Word, Powerpoint, and other things. Unless you count Yearbook as a computer class.

xDarc

Feb 19, 2009
Kids today. They impress old baby boomers by navigating anything with a GUI/touchscreen with ease, but you're not fooling me. Gadgets don't make smarter kids, and I'd suspect neither does learning a programming language.

I can't count the number of times I've encountered young ones who know just enough to make something work, know little to nothing of how/why.

By the time students get in the real world, a lot of their programming knowledge will likely be out-dated anyhow.

xDarc

Feb 19, 2009
As an afterthought, it would be nice if they could just focus more on:

how to manage your own finances, how to stay out of jail, how to not get knocked up at 15, how to raise a baby at 15 in case you failed that first part, that pot is generally ok, but all others will set your life back 5-10 years financially/emotionally at some point so seriously don't fuck with it, how to build a resume and work experience... one that doesn't say Highschool->College->Mid 20's, tens of thousands in debt, never even pushed a broom, hire me please.

That's about all I have for now.

All the stuff they teach is pretty much just to train you on how to be trained. They present the material in an orderly way and you are expected to comprehend, demonstrate and pass a test. Which to me sounds a lot like learn your job, do your job, don't fuck up, and be ready to tell me why I should keep your ass when it comes time for your performance evaluation.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
It's been said many times up here already, but I think that it should be taught, but isn't required for graduation. From personal experience, knowing how to program doesn't mean that you know how your computer functions or how highly complex programs work. I took programming in high school which helped me for my college courses, but that was because I was pursuing a degree in software engineering and I needed that knowledge. Someone else in another program might find the knowledge completely useless and may not touch on it ever again.

However, basic computer skills (word processing, checking emails, internet safety, etc) should be a requirement at this point. There are very few industries to date that do not require some sort of interaction with a computer at one point or another.

Svizzara

Mar 18, 2009
I think it's unnecessary. Yes, society is becoming more and more dependent on computer systems, but user interfaces are simultaneously becoming more and more user-friendly. For example, smartphones are commonplace and are becoming quite advanced, but I'd wager that most users, like myself, don't know much about computer programming. It's simply unnecessary.

But I do see where you're coming from OP. You said you're a programmer yourself, and that lends a personal touch to your opinion. I'm an automotive enthusiast, and I'd love to see some basic automotive courses made mandatory in schools, since society is quite dependent on the automobile... but again, it's unnecessary, for the same reasons.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Esotera said:
Knowledge of how a computer program works is not necessary to work it. Driving a car is slightly different. And besides, I never said I believe history should be compulsory either. It's interesting to note that almost everyone for the idea is a person who already has an interest in it- so they're biased. Likewise for the other team, so this debate is pretty pointless.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Sounds legit, especially considering all the secondary skills that programing enhances (spelling, math, logic etc).